Thanks for helping me get this :)

Rob41

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
After lurking and hopefully learning from everyone here, I finally got my first tractor today.

It's a 2012 Kubota M7040 with 435 hours that's been garage kept all these years. Got the zerks greased up today, the coolant tested good, changed the wiper blade and peeled all the factory plastic off the seat....it's mine now.

Tomorrow I'll change the oil and filter, fuel filter, check fluid in the diffs, transmission fluid and install my LED headlights and change all the other aux lights/turn signal bulbs to LED as well. I'm sure I'll think of more. In a few days I'll pick up my 85" 3 point snow blower from the Kubota dealership down the road. They said something about having to cut the PTO shaft to fit the M7040. Also my tire groover will be here in a couple days so I'll be able to groove the tire lugs for a bit better traction.

Thanks for all the experience you guys have.....I'm sure I'll need assistance again.

Anyway, here are a few pics :)

The "other" orange ride sitting in the barn is my daughter's car.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 375
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 362
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 346
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 371
  • 260121502_651384015852212_7353652910896213854_n.jpg
    260121502_651384015852212_7353652910896213854_n.jpg
    763.6 KB · Views: 367
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 407

Midniteoyl

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, Ford 3400, Gizmow ZTR, Simplicity 7016H
Very cool. Congrats!!

MAX-24-Dean

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra MAX24
What a nice find! You were definetly at the right place at the right time. Congradulations.

OP
Rob41

Rob41

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
Thanks guys.

You know how there's always that one guy who finds amazing deals all the time? I can tell you that has NEVER been me, lol.

The previous owner didn't give it away but with the current market and almost new condition of this tractor I really don't think I could have done better.

The Snowblower will likely be the only attachment this time home. My mariner job is 4 months on and 4 months off. This coming summer I'll be getting a tiller, set of forks and adding a third function for a grapple. I'm guessing I'll probably wand to weld on or bolt on a set of hooks to the bucket as well.

I just ordered a radio and the Kubota wiring adapter from Amazon but honestly, I don't even know if I'll use it. It was cheap and will fill the slot anyway.

Oz_Kioti

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti RX8030
Factory plastic still on the seat after all this time - amazing!

But well done you. Enjoy it.

jezreel

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota - MX5400 DTC
Wow! ! ! That’s beautiful. Ya did good. Have fun with it.

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
After lurking and hopefully learning from everyone here, I finally got my first tractor today.

It's a 2012 Kubota M7040 with 435 hours that's been garage kept all these years. Got the zerks greased up today, the coolant tested good, changed the wiper blade and peeled all the factory plastic off the seat....it's mine now.

Tomorrow I'll change the oil and filter, fuel filter, check fluid in the diffs, transmission fluid and install my LED headlights and change all the other aux lights/turn signal bulbs to LED as well. I'm sure I'll think of more. In a few days I'll pick up my 85" 3 point snow blower from the Kubota dealership down the road. They said something about having to cut the PTO shaft to fit the M7040. Also my tire groover will be here in a couple days so I'll be able to groove the tire lugs for a bit better traction.

Thanks for all the experience you guys have.....I'm sure I'll need assistance again.

Kubota M7040,......what an elegant BRUTE !!!

SmallChange

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
Wishing you all the best on your honeymoon!

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
Great looking tractor..(y)

Buggs67

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 2014 CK2510 TLB
....what an elegant BRUTE !!! He said it better than I could.

Best of luck with your new love.

arrow

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Sizable and should fit all of your needs.
Good luck with it. It is a well built unit.
Now your daughter's ride might have some company seeing they're the same color and all.

fruitcakesa

Platinum Member
Tractor
M6040
Great good luck, my M was a similar find for me; the deal of the decade.
Get that bad boy working :D

OP
Rob41

Rob41

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
I just changed the oil and filter, cleaned the water separator bowl and the fuel filter. At least it's only at 435 hrs but It looks like the original owner may have skipped the 50hr and 300 hr oil recommended oil and filter change. Correct me if I'm mistaken but only the original filters are engine gray. Yep, both the oil and fuel filters look to be the originals.

All I can say is the intervals on all of the maintenance won't be skipped again. Now the "elegant BRUTE", lol, just got topped up with Delvac synthetic and a fresh filter. Now it's time to get to work :p

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
Nice find. Hard to say if it’s been serviced or not, I’ve seen the filter colors debated before and I’m not sure there is a 100% answer.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR

oldpilot

Tractor
Mahindra
Plastic lasts a long time. I bought a Korean microwave at BJ's Wholesale Club some years ago, and about ten years later I noticed that the controls seemed to be disintegrating. I investigated and found that I'd never removed the plastic store protection. Did that, and it lasted another ten years. It was still going strong when the spouse decided she deserved a new one. This one from China, sigh.

JWR

Elite Member
Tractor
MF 2660 LP, 3 Kubota B2150, Kubota BX2200, MH Pacer, Gravely 5660, etc.
As others applaud, me too -- I think buying at 435hrs a barn-kept or garage-kept machine that does not look like it was beat up is just about the perfect compromise between buying new vs finding a good one used. It will outlast you and I would expect be reliable.

About the filters -- you can't really tell from them about oil changes nor is it all that important.

About tire notching: Don't do it. The benefits are negligible if not negative. The last time I notched tires was my tricycle when I was 5 years old and I still regret it. I expected it to do better in mud and maybe it did but the damage was worse than the benefit -- as it would be for your Kubota.

I have never owned a cab model and in my circumstances that's a good thing. I'd have torn it to pieces bush hogging and bouncing around. I assume you checked the cab features like heat and air conditioning. Cabs are full of things to go wrong but in adverse weather obviously worth it.

For next spring: Tillers are hard to go wrong in that you'll never put that many hours into one (I bet) and getting some good brand that is not worn out is pretty easy to do. The grapple is going to be a much-used tool if you have any farm connections, woodlands or woodsy things to do. May be on the tractor more than the bucket. Thankfully you have a skid-steer compatible quick attach (SSQA) on your loader so there are hundreds of things that fit to pick from.

Grapples are readily available for SSQA mounting and you need not go for the high priced spread nor the ones that are very heavy and 'heavy duty' claiming. Many on the market. I like the ones made in the cottage industry that seems to breed among themselves down in the Carolinas and makes near identical units. I use the Wildkat brand (same as Mid-state or Pro-Works) in the $1500 bracket new weighing 785 lbs and mostly made of 3/8" steel. Teeth are pairs of 3/8" plate and yet described as medium duty. Heck it is indestructible in reasonable usage I think. I found I could pick that sort of tool up at a dealer with nothing more than my pickup truck and save some $.

For my limited knowledge/skills I think having the 3rd function controls installed on your tractor is better than doing yourself. If you have the extra remote in back for hydraulics it is an "any shop" kind of job or do it yourself & just use one of your remotes and in-cab control valve. But the first class way to do it is (what you alluded to) with the 3rd function in the loader valve joystick and I'd have that done by a tractor shop.

Last edited:

Buzzard7

Good choice. I have a 2007 model of the same tractor (no cab - my bad). It does everything I need on my 90 acre cattle “ranch”. I love it.

Buzzard7

Good choice. I have same model and love it.

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
Looks about as close to new that you can get in a used machine. Congratulations, Great choice and find in tough times.

OP
Rob41

Rob41

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
Looks about as close to new that you can get in a used machine. Congratulations, Great choice and find in tough times.
Thanks. You mention "tough times" and I see it everywhere. Shortages of many things and what you can get the prices are through the roof. I figured I better not let this slip away or I'd regret it.

Fxfymn413

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 4060; Kubota BX2660
This coming summer I'll be getting a tiller, set of forks and adding a third function for a grapple
Congrats; very nice find and I'm sure you will love it.

I know this is almost heresy to advocate this on this site, but I would not get a third function to operate a grapple because you have no reliable way to feather the operation of the grapple. Instead I'd use the rear remotes which are controlled by a real valve.

I spent the money to put a third function on my 4060, used it for one day and went back to using the rear remotes like I had on all of my previous tractors. I even tried using a flow control valve on the third function, but that didn't work either.

My grapple is part of my pallet forks and I use it to secure loads as well as a way to hold brush and logs on the forks. As such I need to be able to softly open/close the grapple to hold what is occasionally a pretty fragile load or to slowly release a log into the dump trailer. The fast action of the third function just didn't do that for me.

Just my $.02 based on my experience.

• Good Post

OP
Rob41

Rob41

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
Thanks for your input. I don't need to to a lot of work fast and would much prefer to be able to finess the grapple.

Jchonline

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, X1100C, M62(S)
Congrats; very nice find and I'm sure you will love it.

I know this is almost heresy to advocate this on this site, but I would not get a third function to operate a grapple because you have no reliable way to feather the operation of the grapple. Instead I'd use the rear remotes which are controlled by a real valve.

I spent the money to put a third function on my 4060, used it for one day and went back to using the rear remotes like I had on all of my previous tractors. I even tried using a flow control valve on the third function, but that didn't work either.

My grapple is part of my pallet forks and I use it to secure loads as well as a way to hold brush and logs on the forks. As such I need to be able to softly open/close the grapple to hold what is occasionally a pretty fragile load or to slowly release a log into the dump trailer. The fast action of the third function just didn't do that for me.

Just my $.02 based on my experience.

Tractor grapples really are made for fine control. If you want that you need an excavator.

So you have a separate lever for controlling the grapple open/close instead of the buttons on the loader joystick, or did you rig something else to work?

No way I would use a rear remote for my grapple ....but to each his own!

mike0000

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota RTV 900, Kubota L3901
Awesome Tractor you have there!
Not sure if you plan to buy new or used on the Tiller, just a heads up if you plan to buy new.
I ordered my tiller (for next spring) from Rural King 10-8-21
its expected delivery date (to local store) is 12-31-21 - 01-28-22.

Mike

JWR

Elite Member
Tractor
Tractor grapples really are made for fine control. If you want that you need an excavator.

So you have a separate lever for controlling the grapple open/close instead of the buttons on the loader joystick, or did you rig something else to work?

No way I would use a rear remote for my grapple ....but to each his own!
I'm losing your intent with that first sentence. Huh ?

As for using the rear remote, I operate my grapple that way all the time. It has become one of the most-used tools on the tractor. I know of no reason not to operate the grapple that way, but as you say that's just me. For the OP, I think it's mainly a question of whether he has plenty of remotes on his new-found gem of a tractor.

Jchonline

Veteran Member
Tractor
I'm losing your intent with that first sentence. Huh ?

As for using the rear remote, I operate my grapple that way all the time. It has become one of the most-used tools on the tractor. I know of no reason not to operate the grapple that way, but as you say that's just me. For the OP, I think it's mainly a question of whether he has plenty of remotes on his new-found gem of a tractor.

My intent…even with the M62 which has factory plumbed 3rd function it still doesn’t allow for fine control…say picking up an egg without breaking it Or picking up something heavier you dont want to shatter into pieces. It is hard to pickup a pile of dead limbs without breaking them into pieces…no such issue with the backhoe. You can do that with a real backhoe, or an excavator. Thats what I meant. Maybe you can do that if you are using a rear remote to control it…but at what cost?

May I ask how you are operating the grapple with the rear remote? Is it via the normal valve control stick you use to actuate any other implement on the rear remotes or did you setup something different?

JWR

Elite Member
Tractor
I operate the grapple using the remote valve control used to actuate any other attachment. Maybe I'm just not too particular with fine control.

Jchonline

Veteran Member
Tractor
I operate the grapple using the remote valve control used to actuate any other attachment. Maybe I'm just not too particular with fine control.
I’m not either…its for grabbing stuff you usually dont care about breaking after all!

So you have to take your right hand off of the loader joystick to actuate the grapple claw with the rear remote Control lever?

JWR

Elite Member
Tractor
Yes. I do have to move the right hand back and forth between controls but that is just a second or so time wise and you can't do two things concurrently with open center hydraulics anyway (such as close a grapple while raising the loader) so I'm only out a second or so per move. For sure it would be a luxury to have all that on the joystick with just a button to go back and forth between modes of the joystick.

Not that you want to hear it , but ... I had a boat lift accident which tore my right shoulder pretty much completely apart 2yrs ago and resulted in a reverse right shoulder replacement... so moving the right hand around from joystick to remote lever, etc. has been both a challenge and good exercise for my shoulder. In the early days I couldn't get the hand up on the joystick without left hand assist but I can now. Good long-term rehab I suppose. Lot of nerve damage made the surgery less than fully successful.

K5lwq

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK2554, Branson 4815C, Satoh Beaver, Speedex
Thanks for your input. I don't need to to a lot of work fast and would much prefer to be able to finess the grapple.
You can do several things. One is use the rear remote as suggested or you can go with a diverter vs a true third function. That would let you push a button and use your curl or lift of you bucket to move the grapple. Then just release the button and your loader works normal.

I changed out my loader valve with a three spool valve so I could feather the grapple on my Kioti. On the Branson I have a true third function and to be honest I do not mind either. They both work well for me.

OP
Rob41

Rob41

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
I think for now I'll go with a true third function for the grapple. If I decide I need something different I can always set that up later.

@mike0000, I think I need to think about getting the tiller and maybe a coiuple other things ordered now so I have them this summer.

Jchonline

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yes. I do have to move the right hand back and forth between controls but that is just a second or so time wise and you can't do two things concurrently with open center hydraulics anyway (such as close a grapple while raising the loader) so I'm only out a second or so per move. For sure it would be a luxury to have all that on the joystick with just a button to go back and forth between modes of the joystick.

Not that you want to hear it , but ... I had a boat lift accident which tore my right shoulder pretty much completely apart 2yrs ago and resulted in a reverse right shoulder replacement... so moving the right hand around from joystick to remote lever, etc. has been both a challenge and good exercise for my shoulder. In the early days I couldn't get the hand up on the joystick without left hand assist but I can now. Good long-term rehab I suppose. Lot of nerve damage made the surgery less than fully successful.
On the M62 you can do both at once. Guess I am spoiled lol. Glad to hear your setup has forced some tractor time physical therapy! I wish you healthy tractoring Sir!

jonsstihl

Platinum Member
I can also curl and close the lid on my grapple at the same time with my factory third function setup. the solenoid does have a tendency to stick especially when not warmed up but a quick bump of the joystick has never failed to release it.

I don't mind the quick action but I can see where it would be a pain if finesse was required

JWR

Elite Member
Tractor
I can also curl and close the lid on my grapple at the same time with my factory third function setup. the solenoid does have a tendency to stick especially when not warmed up but a quick bump of the joystick has never failed to release it.

I don't mind the quick action but I can see where it would be a pain if finesse was required
Are you sure the grapple lid is not shutting via gravity? Unless there is flow splitting going on (causing a single flow to feed to two places at reduced flow) , with open center hydraulics only one device at a time operates under hydraulic pressure. Your third function factory setup might have included flow splitting. Or the lid might just be closing by gravity.

jonsstihl

Platinum Member
The lid is definitely powered at the same time kind of like the fact that I can curl and raise the bucket at the same time but performance is definitely lower.

definitely flow splitting going on. I know the feeling. when my rear remote is in detent the 3pt will not raise.

Fxfymn413

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 4060; Kubota BX2660
I use the installed control valves for the remotes. It was pretty simple to run hoses with quick connects to the loader mount arm that allows me to disconnect the lines when I remove the loader. On previous tractors I ran hoses up the loader arms, but since the dealer installed the lines on this one for the third function I used those instead. It's really no different than the control of the hydraulic top link.

I guess it doesn't bother folks to have hydraulics operating at full tilt, but it just goes against my grain. I much prefer slow and smooth.

One other thing I really disliked about the third function valve was where Kubota mounts them; on the underside exposed to brush etc. I ended up making a skid plate to protect the valve body which IMO should have been part of the valve install to begin with.

• Good Post

JWR

Elite Member
Tractor
The lid is definitely powered at the same time kind of like the fact that I can curl and raise the bucket at the same time but performance is definitely lower.

definitely flow splitting going on. I know the feeling. when my rear remote is in detent the 3pt will not raise.
Yep, I think more and more (newer) tractors/loaders are coming out with flow dividers so that "one track mind hydraulics" can be overcome, at least in specific need areas. Loader/bucket actions being high on the list. There is extra cost but many would be willing to pay a little more if they understood it all in the first place. Most buyers do not.

HOWEVER, your situation with the 3pt not rising when you are using one of the remotes is a bad-news issue with only some brands. Other brands (Massey Ferguson for example) have provided separate pumps for the 3pt and power steering for decades. Mine bought in 2011 is that way and that has been in place a long time prior to 2011. With independent pumps there is , well ... independence. This may vary among models in each brand & I certainly do not know them all.