The 10,000th kioti won't start thread (sigh)

/ The 10,000th kioti won't start thread (sigh) #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
Every year I have a problem at the end of the summer whereby my negative battery cable needs to be removed, the battery terminal cleaned, the frame rail connection cleaned and the cable reinstalled to keep my CK30 starting.

This year, same old symptoms started to show up.

1. Turn key on, lights on dash light up
2. Clicking sound from the 2nd relay from the outside on the engine side of the firewall
3. Clicking slows down after a while and then glow light plug light illuminates as would be normal
4. The tractor will start like normal.

If I tried to turn it over before the relay clicking sound stopped, it would simply "click" at the starter just like if you had a low battery on your car.

So, this year it happens again and my usual fix doesn't work. In fact, it seems to get worse and the clicking becomes more rapid but slightly quieter.

I tried a brand new battery, cleaned all the terminals, inspected all fuses but still nada.

So, based on my numbers 1 through 4 above I can't get past number 2. If I fiddle with the ignition and turn the lights on the tractor ON, and turn the key to the glow plug preheat position for a few seconds the relay stops clicking. Any attempt to start it simply results in a clicking starter though (solenoid I suppose).

My tractor is in a very dark shed, so all I can see with is a flashlight and unfortunately the loader and backhoe are both on, both down on the ground and the tractor is parked as close to the wall on the drivers side as I can get it so I can't get in there to work on the starter or solenoid unless I lay underneath it and reach up.

Do you think I have a corroded pos or neg cable? Any suggestions? I have read many many of the "won't start" threads but I cannot figure out what to do and I need the tractor to get some work done that is time sensitive.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions...

Jim

/ The 10,000th kioti won't start thread (sigh) #2  
I would clean ALL electrical connections. If you have other battery cables there, substitute them.

/ The 10,000th kioti won't start thread (sigh) #3  
Battery cable eaten up on the inside under the insulation is a common problem.. you can't see it. Yank on it hard. I keep telling guys to use NO-OX-ID on all of your battery connections, and nothing bad will ever happen to your battery connections.. I have only been using the stuff professionally for 34 years and NEVER EVER had a battery connection problem. What do I know. Preaching in the wilderness. I am sorry, I just know If I could get guys to coat their new tractor/trucks/cars battery terminals with this product, (as I do with every car, truck, tractor, lawn tractor I have owned in the last 34 years) they would never post about no start problems due to conductivity issues.:confused3:

Sanchem NOOXID electrical grease & electrically conductive grease dielectric grease and contact lubricants

James K0UA

/ The 10,000th kioti won't start thread (sigh) #4  
Clean out the ignition switch

/ The 10,000th kioti won't start thread (sigh) #5  
Battery cable eaten up on the inside under the insulation is a common problem.. you can't see it. Yank on it hard. I keep telling guys to use NO-OX-ID on all of your battery connections, and nothing bad will ever happen to your battery connections.. I have only been using the stuff professionally for 34 years and NEVER EVER had a battery connection problem. What do I know. Preaching in the wilderness. I am sorry, I just know If I could get guys to coat their new tractor/trucks/cars battery terminals with this product, (as I do with every car, truck, tractor, lawn tractor I have owned in the last 34 years) they would never post about no start problems due to conductivity issues.:confused3:

Sanchem NOOXID electrical grease & electrically conductive grease dielectric grease and contact lubricants

James K0UA

I'm sold! where do I get it?

/ The 10,000th kioti won't start thread (sigh) #6  
that no ox stuff is good.

we also use a de ox it gold in fine electronics settings.

/ The 10,000th kioti won't start thread (sigh) #7  
   / The 10,000th kioti won't start thread (sigh) #8  
KOua: Thanks for the tip. I just ordered an 8 oz tube from eBay for my new DK45SE HST.

/ The 10,000th kioti won't start thread (sigh) #9  
   / The 10,000th kioti won't start thread (sigh) #10  
Clean out the ignition switch

I normally recommend a systematic troubleshooting approach. But the switch is probably the only thing easy to access so I second Murph's recommendation.