The End of Great great grandpas old barn

/ The End of Great great grandpas old barn #1  

wolc123

Veteran Member
It was kind of sad pulling down the last of the old barns yesterday. I still have lots of cleanup to do, but the skyline of our farm is different this morning.

I am going to save as much of the 9” square and 6” square hand-hewn posts and beams as I can, cutting them into 10 ft lengths and stacking them under the back porch of my new pole barn, until a “need” arises.

I am also going to save what’s recoverable from the sawed oak rafters and 1” thick x 12” wide American chestnut roofing boards, that is now under several layers of shingles. It’s much safer working on that, now that it’s down on the ground.

Two other things I want to recover, are what’s left of the “83” siding board, and the hay forks, and trolley that were up under the peak. They were way too high for me to try and get while it was standing.

I did manage to pull down the “18” board from the top of a 24 ft extension ladder, but the “83” broke across the center of the “3”, when I tried pulling that one down. My new pole barn went up on the site of great grandpa’s first old barn, in 2018. I used that “18” board, and matched the text size and style with a jigsaw on another, to mark the year inside the new barn.

I used hand-hewn posts & beams and sawed rafters, siding and roofing, from the first old barn that I dismantled, to make a loft and workshops inside the new steel barn. I will use some of that stuff from the last one, to enclose the back porch and make a new firewood shed on the back.

I pulled it down using a 1/2” wire rope and a snatch block, attached to my largest tractor. I put it in the lowest gear. I wonder how long it took the pilgrims to raise that old barn frame. It came down in under a minute with my tractor in the lowest creeper gear. The snatch block cut my speed in half but doubled my pull force.

I remember helping grandpa unload loose hay with the big forks in that old barn, when I was a young kid. How nice that was, compared to when he got the damn square baler, when I was about 12. Pitching the loose hay around the lofts seemed like a lot more fun than handling those bales.

The lofts were not really made for the added weight of baled hay and the floor beams got busted up in several locations. The barns got crooked and that contributed to their eventual demise.

Pulling the barns down was not nearly as scary as taking down the old concrete silo with sledge hammer. I had to go “in harms way” for that job. I wore a hard hat, but I am not sure how much protection that would have provided from heavy concrete blocks falling over 25 ft.

My only worry, pulling this last barn down, was that it would hit our house (missed that by 8 feet), or my new pole barn (fell within an inch and a half of that). I hope to have everything cleaned up so I can seed grass around mid August.

F3F1540E-4D86-46E4-887A-6DC2E80B4A4B.jpeg
E4418CAA-D006-42E0-BA9B-7B05B88F49DD.jpeg
EDE09511-91C1-484B-AD39-B42DA5BA2D82.jpeg

Last edited:
   / The End of Great great grandpas old barn #2  
Great for you to have roots on that farm that go back 4 generations. As I read your post, I was thinking "Gee, he should have saved it." but when I saw the pictures - too far gone to save.

Your 2nd paragraph - the posts and beams.
1. put down a vapor barrier first - 20mil plastic, metal roofing, etc.
2. Spray the wood with Bora-Care and allow to dry before storing
3. Sticker the wood - you need air movement.

I'm working to save a 1918 dairy barn. Was told it was too far gone - bad foundation and the building wracked out of square. Still not sure I can do it, but each day (or week, really) makes progress. Thanks for sharing

/ The End of Great great grandpas old barn
5F8E79C5-8A17-48A5-AA11-99825B02982F.jpeg
This is the loft and workshops in the new barn. Note that I spaced the loft floor beams at half the distance that they were in the old barns. I learned my lesson there and am not going to have hay bales (or lumber) crush this one.

/ The End of Great great grandpas old barn #4  
If only the barn could tell what it saw over the years.

/ The End of Great great grandpas old barn #5  
Damn onion cutting ninjas in here…and dust, lots of dust. But on the much brighter side you are the history of that farm, which is becoming a very rare thing.

/ The End of Great great grandpas old barn #6  
We are doing the same exact thing;old barn was built in 1885.We hope to save about 1/2 of it.This one is 30x60'.Building a new pole barn 30x40'.

We are doing the same exact thing;old barn was built in 1885.We hope to save about 1/2 of it.This one is 30x60'.Building a new pole barn 30x40'.
The two that I took down were each 36 ft wide x 46 ft long with 16 ft high walls. Both had 12 ft wide lofts on one end with a granery and livestock stables below. There was big double swinging doors on both sides of the center 12 ft wide sections, so we could pull hay wagons right through and unload loose hay with the overhead forks.

When I was getting ready to build the new pole barn, I got rid of a couple old tractors and other seldom used stuff, and squeezed everything I needed inside, into that last one, prior to tearing down the first one. That gave me an idea of how big to build the pole barn on the site of the first one that I took down.

I made the new pole barn 36 ft wide x 50 ft long with 12 ft walls and (2) 25 ft x 10 ft porches. The loft and shops inside (timber framed from materials recovered from the first old one that I took down) is 12 ft wide X 30 ft long.

The steel shell, including the porches, is a Stockade building that cost $27 k in 2018. The 10 ft truss spacing on that made for lots of useful “loft space” up top. The estimated cost to repair one of my old barns was about double that at the time.

Currently, I have my firewood stored outside on pallets and tarped, which works ok, but not as well as when I had plenty of barn space and could keep it in one of those old ones. After I finish the woodshed, on the back of the (enclosed) back pole barn porch, I will have plenty of inside storage again.

The old barns were nostalgic, but not the best for storage (everything got all dusty inside), and they were a nightmare for maintenance. Steel siding and roofing is tough to beat. My grandkids will have it a lot easier than I had it some day.

I do like the wood “feel” of those old barns though, and I was able to keep much of that inside the new one, and I will have even more of it when I get that back porch enclosed.

I am going to make a big set of swinging wood doors with big iron strap hinges on the downwind side of that, using lumber recovered from the old barn that I just dropped.

Last edited:
I have been plugging away at the rubble pile all summer. I got all of the asphalt shingles (there were 4 layers on top of 2 layers of cedar) off and onto a big pile, and most oh the un-rotted wood recovered.

I still need to pull out a few more hand hewn beams and sawed white oak rafters, before winter freeze up. I am going to buy a heavy duty Harbor Freight tarp, to cover the stack of beams, and everything else is now in my new pole barn.

Yesterday, I even recovered the hay grapple hooks and trolley. I was pleased to see that the trolley did not get damaged in the fall when I pulled the barn frame down. I think I might rig up a section of the rail between trusses of my new barn. That way, I can use my great great grandfathers old grapple to move loose hay up into the loft from a wagon, if I ever decided to raise livestock.

The only way I would ever do that, is if they banned deer hunting. I much prefer that free, wild, “organic” protein over the domestic stuff.
5CFA2026-40BD-438A-9B03-D711FFC71F37.jpeg

/ The End of Great great grandpas old barn #9  
We did the opposite on the 1850’s barn… as it was grandfathered next to the creek the decision made to save… lots of old redwood…