The Glut Cometh

/ The Glut Cometh #42  
A bit too rustic for my tastes.
Yep, I'm a country boy for sure. I don't abandon 19th century and early 20th century technology because it requires a little work. The nice thing about solutions invented before electricity is that they always work. My wood stove is a home utility that provides many kw equivalent of energy any time I need it, and makes use of nature's solar collectors to concentrate the fuel. When the power goes out, the comfort of my home doesn't change, and outdoors it turns into a Currier and Ives print.

/ The Glut Cometh #43  
A bit too rustic for my tastes.
We lost power for a week after a tornado. City water, so we had cold showers unless we decided to shower at the gym.

We were stranded for a couple days till we could get the generator from my father in law.

You would be surprised what you can cook on a propane grill with a side burner

/ The Glut Cometh #45  
Yep, I'm a country boy for sure. I don't abandon 19th century and early 20th century technology because it requires a little work. The nice thing about solutions invented before electricity is that they always work. My wood stove is a home utility that provides many kw equivalent of energy any time I need it, and makes use of nature's solar collectors to concentrate the fuel. When the power goes out, the comfort of my home doesn't change, and outdoors it turns into a Currier and Ives print.

I'll pass. When the outside turns into a Currier and Ives print, I know I'll have to fire up the Kubota and plow us out as we live 2 miles from the pavement on a remote dirt road.

I'm not into solar but the power goes out out here, it's always out for a while which is why we have a diesel backup hooked to the 500 gallon bulk tank.

My only 'compromise' is the way we heat, we heat with bio mass and have for the last 30 years.

/ The Glut Cometh #46  
There was a great article a few months back detailing how and why they expect the used car market to tank
Fine with me. I only buy low mileage off lease used vehicles anyway. Not about to pay the inflated ridiculous price new cars are today. Can usually get them at least a 50% off discount.

/ The Glut Cometh #47  
And housing ....

Housing Market Decline Begins as Consumer Confidence Crashes

New single-family home sales have dropped to their lowest level since April 2020.

U.S. Facing 'Perfect Storm' for 2008-Like Housing Crisis: Economist

Economist Jose Torres predicted that within the next few years, housing prices could drop up to 25 percent.

Some people were paying stupid prices and I don't feel sorry if they get screwed.

Maybe it'll get lumber back to the sane area.
Stumpage prices are already back to where they were 5 years ago. Lumber prices are dropping but still high. Lumber prices follow housing starts.

/ The Glut Cometh #48  
Stumpage prices are already back to where they were 5 years ago. Lumber prices are dropping but still high. Lumber prices follow housing starts.
Lumber sales also can be a harbinger of what's to come in the next 6-18 months.
That doesn't necessarily mean the sky is falling though, anything as hot as the housing and retail markets have been in the last 2 years has to cool off sometime.

/ The Glut Cometh #49  
The housing market is regional. Looking at it nationally in a country as large as the US tends to hide causes and is more click bait than anything else. There will be overlap, but the effects will be less in areas with a better core economy.

/ The Glut Cometh #50  
Fine with me. I only buy low mileage off lease used vehicles anyway. Not about to pay the inflated ridiculous price new cars are today. Can usually get them at least a 50% off discount.
I was all set to buy a 2019 Ford Fusion Titanium off-lease for a few pennies over $20k back in 2020. I him-hawed on it for a week, and it sold just before I called the dealer. That was just about the time Covid was taking ahold. The same car today, going on four years older, is selling for about $25k. I decided I'd just hold onto my old GMC pickup. :cautious: