The "Gorilla" with a shovel

/ The "Gorilla" with a shovel #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
The \"Gorilla\" with a shovel

Hi guys,

I've been thinking of fabricating a 'shovel' for the 425. Something narrower than the rock bucket, but the same kind of idea. I have found that whereas the mini-hoe works well, it is murder when it comes to trying to dig something out of the flower beds. I'm usually on top of the turf, and trying to dig out a large bush/small tree is just awful on the turf, since you need to put 'back pressure' on the treadle to dig with the mini-hoe, and you end up just ripping up everything.

I've used the forks to dig (thanks for spending my money on these, MossRoad, as they have more than paid for themselves), and I've thought that a smallish shovel would be an ideal attachment.

I was thinking of welding one up. I believe that the 425, used with a shovel that is essentially a small narrow bucket, would allow the 425 to act as a giant gorilla with a shovel. The huge advantage would be that you can use the 1300lb weight of the tractor to bear down on the tip, and then use the 800 lb lift to pick stuff up. Right now, I use the forks, and then lift things out with the buckets. The problem is that the forks are simply too wide, and sometimes tends to wipe out the bush next to the bush I really want out.

Got any ideas?

What kind of welder should I use? I was thinking of buying something that could be used to create attachments, and possibly even be used to repair the PT if needed. Suggestions and smart remarks are welcome.

Sincerely,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ The "Gorilla" with a shovel #2  
Re: The \"Gorilla\" with a shovel

I think you are describing something that is called a "grubbing" bucket. These are manufactured for tractor FELs so I imagine you could either have one made for the PT attachment plate or get a photo and weld one up yourself.

I think ATI makes them but other companies do too. Google it. They are basically FEL buckets that look like triangles or trapazoids rather than cylindrical/rectangular boxes. The cutting edge is, just as you describe, about the width of a shovel and they are used just the way you indicated and for exactly the purpose you wanted. Me thinks you have reinvented the grubbing bucket. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ The "Gorilla" with a shovel #3  

Where is that pic where someone made one out of a water heater tank. And who had the other home made bucket. it looked like a 12 to 16 inch size back hoe bucket turned around and mounted on a quick plate. I would say that setup would be very usefull and much harder digging than the small bucket

/ The "Gorilla" with a shovel #4  
   / The "Gorilla" with a shovel #5  

Go back to post 328916 at 10/17/03 Page 50 of the index. I dig up plants with this and scoop out shallow ditches. It is a water tank cut down to dig and transport plants. They can be made to any size. If your forks are removable, just remove one, and bore a hole in the end of the other one , and bolt a shovel head or some thing that looks like a shovel. This picture is another plant digger.

Attachments

• 814888-SPADE%20800%202.jpg
    814888-SPADE%20800%202.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 502
   / The "Gorilla" with a shovel

Hey, JJ

That's cool. Here's another link.

Tree Spade

At $1000, it's pretty dear, though. I was even thinking of taking a class at the local community college (there's one that requires a 'project') and I could use their equipment, facilities, and expertise and build some cool attachments!

Sincerely,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 815225-EZ-SPADE-2.jpg
    815225-EZ-SPADE-2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 319
   / The "Gorilla" with a shovel #7  

Makes you want to go out and find a piece of 18" pipe about 24" long and cut it at an angle so that you have two identical pieces like that. Then find a piece of 40"X 20" plate and cut it in half so you have two 20" squares. Then weld each piece of pipe to a plate like the picture, grind a nice edge on each and mount a quick attach plate to each. Then keep one for your self and send one to me for "evaluation purposes". /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ The "Gorilla" with a shovel #8  

With ideas like that, I can see how you became a TBN All-Star and moderator. Always thinking ahead and for the benefit of all. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ The "Gorilla" with a shovel #9  

Hey, it's for the common good, right? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ The "Gorilla" with a shovel #10  

I built one for my JD 990 out of 2x4 square tubing and flat plate. Works pretty well. Check it out here