The hardest hole to dig

/ The hardest hole to dig #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
After years of helping a friend with alpaca's and wanting some ourselves we were finnally able to get 2 alpaca and a llama for our hobby farm. We had worked hard at building fences, cleaning woods, and were finally in a position were we felt we could take care of a few. This timming worked well as our long time friend was down sizeing her herd.

The girls are fairly low maintance, check on them once or so a day, perhaps give them some grain, make shure they have water and put a flake or 2 out for them. This check ususally occurs late afternoon early evening as we are putting up the chickens, collecting eggs etc. (doing the daily chores). Last nights check everyone seemed fine.

Today the wife comes in and says, there is a problem with Emmy. I put on the coat and head down to the barn to find our best alpaca lying on the barn floor stiff and suffering from what look like seizures every few min. The wife sits with her while i call the vet. He is at the property about an hr later. After some discussion ensues, we determine that the condition is not likely to improve, so the call is made to put her down.

So on a dark cold november night, i have to go hook up the woods hoe, rig up a work light and spend half an hr in the cold dark digging a hole.

As an owner of large animals we knew this day would come, we just never expected it to be one of our young otherwise healthy animals we had just got not 6 months ago.

It was a tough evening here on the farm.

/ The hardest hole to dig #2  
That must have been very hard to take. I am sorry for your loss.

/ The hardest hole to dig #3  
I'm sorry you lost a nice animal. That is hard.

Did the vet have any ideas about the cause?

/ The hardest hole to dig #4  
I understand how that goes, it is tough in many ways.

What was the problem/ diagnosis? did you contact your friend to see if they had an idea? Dont want a "bug" running around all your other animals and kids.

/ The hardest hole to dig
Its been a difficult year for meningeal Worm in camalids (llamas and alapca) Our friend we got the animals from had the first cases of it on her farm in 30 years. Meningeal worm is spread through the fecese of white tailed deer and camalids are a "dead end host" meaning they dont bread there own parasites, they can just get infected with it. Its a worm that affects the central nervous system/brain of the host.

Due to her posturing and what we guess were seizures the most likely case was meningeal worm. While you can give the animals de-wormer and perhaps kill the worm, any damage done to the CNS is permanent. Traditional meningeal worm infection, the animal will show signs of CNS disruption, circleing, hind leg issues, etc. If the animal presents those symptoms treatment/cure has a much better survivability. Cases of acute onset where an animal will no longer stand (our case) have a 10% or less recovery rate.

A definitive diagnosis can only be made post*mortem. That requires the head/nec be sent out to a lab for analysis. While not prohibitively expensive, it adds little actionable information, and now you have to bury a carcass with no neck/head. Again, the "sick" one cant make the others "sick" in the heard.

The other animals were treated again with ivermectin (there last treatment was nov 9th). That is our best defense against either of the other 2 succumbing to the same thing.

Last edited:
   / The hardest hole to dig #6  
I like Ivermectin, not familiar with the worms , but it almost sounds like Chronic wasting disease in deer. Glad it isnt something that could wipe you out though.