The high cost of cutting grass

/ The high cost of cutting grass #141  
Considering purchasing a couple goats. They make darn good grass cutters and fertilize as they cut (chew).

/ The high cost of cutting grass #142  
Also entertaining. I had a couple of goats on kudzu eating duty. They followed me around like puppy dogs. They were one of the more effective tools at getting rid of kudzu that I've tried.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #143  
Considering purchasing a couple goats. They make darn good grass cutters and fertilize as they cut (chew).
Every year at this time I wish I had a couple of goats but as summer approaches I would have to feed through fall.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #145  
I don’t know how much road frontage I own, maybe 700 feet. I mow a lot more than that, partly because I like the way it looks and partly so we can see leaving from our driveway. This year I’m only going to mow what I need to for visibility.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #147  
I mow with my Ventrac 72" new model finish deck at its highest postion, nominal 5". I mow the acre + around the house weekly and the fields get mowed when they are about 8" or higher. In spring or wet times those fields grow faster, in dry times quite slow. The 4500Z seems to not suffer significant efficiency loss if the grass is tall, but does cut "easier" if dry. The most significant change energy costs should be making for us is in how we vote!

prs

/ The high cost of cutting grass
My 4500P does fine in tall grass as long as it's dry and that hasn't been the case this year so far, ground is like a sponge a heavy tractor and and deck sure doesn't help... Jim

/ The high cost of cutting grass #149  
I have one area of about 2 acres that is STEEP and it has been wet. The grass there has been damaged by the ATV type cleats of the Ventrac duals, so I am letting it go to seed plus some seed I applied early spring. The seed tops will be ripe in about 10 more days, then I will use the tough cut to mow and scatter the seed. Two does have taken advantage of the cover there and dropped their fawns in the tall grass. I noticed the two exhausted does last Tuesday afternoon and saw them walking their new borns away from the birthing area Wednesday afternoon heading for a brushy area. I really have to look for the tiny fawns as I mow this time of year (and they do seem to be a bit late in fawning this year). We have too many deer, but I still don't want to chop any little ones.

prs

/ The high cost of cutting grass #150  
We're well into lawn mowing now. Once a week. Rain seems to be hitting at regular intervals. Takes me about 35 minutes to mow, so right around 3/4 of a gallon of gas between the PT425 and the push mower in the small fenced yard.