The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :)

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :)
Nice looking unit. What are the fan dimensions and blower body height? Looks like an old Allied unit we let go with a Massey 1105.
Thanks, the fan is 20" diameter and 10 1/2" deep. The blower body height is 35 1/2".
Yes, you need to mount the camera on the INSIDE of the cab back window.
For sure. The only thing I may....or may not have to do is cover up the I.R illuminators. I suspect if they try to illuminate at night I could lose the picture due do reflecting on the glass. I'll have to try it and see what happens.

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #32  
For sure. The only thing I may....or may not have to do is cover up the I.R illuminators. I suspect if they try to illuminate at night I could lose the picture due do reflecting on the glass. I'll have to try it and see what happens.
Ir does not work through glass, it will be like staring at a flashlight in the window.

need something like this

Ir does not work through glass, it will be like staring at a flashlight in the window.

need something like this

I figured I'd have to cover up the illuminator that comes with it. Yeah, that one would work for sure if I needed it. I've already got LED work lights installed. Plus it might freak out the neighbors If I'm out in the dark with no conventional light on blowing snow :p

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #34  
I called the Kubota dealer and asked them if the snow blower was ready for me to pick up (they had to cut the PTO shaft_ and they said yep. Sweet, They load it on the trailer and I've finally got it home. I picked it off my trailer and started to hook everything up. Got the lifting arms set up for Cat 2....check. Hook up the PTO shaft.......dammit!

They didn't cut the shaft. I know it's not hard but after spending $5,500 and them saying they would cut it, I want them to do it. I called them and they said they will try to cut one for my tractor today and if I don't hear from them by 4pm to give them a call. Okay, I'll do that.

My neighbor across the street does some farming and heavy equipment/excavation stuff so he helped my get hooked up the first time. Then I went ahead and hooked up the top link so I could move everything back into the barn and out of the driveway. That's when I noticed we should have put the pins in the lower holes on the lifting arms.....just wasn't able to lift the blower as high as I'd like with the small hills I've got. Got everything set up now and a little more practice horsing the attachment around doesn't hurt.more

I took my PTO shaft off the blower so I can just swap them for the cut shaft. Boy this now blower is big, I'm sure it's going to make quick work of my driveway and some other areas.
Rob if you don't mind me asking about what was the price of that new 84" blower? Trying to get an idea what I should ask for my identical unit. Thanks

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #35  
Rob, something I didn’t see mentioned here yet unless I missed it….. your toplink length will adjust your cutting edge ‘height’. I have an 8’ blower on a m7060. On gravel or a bumpy area I’d shorten the top link to make the cutting edge higher up off the ground by a few inches. I leave my 3pt all the way down when in operation or nearly so.
I put a home made Hyd. Deflector on my chute and it’s great in the windy conditions, which I’d think would make using a camera nearly impossible…. Keeping it clean will be the challenge but I look forward to hearing your experience! I also groom skidoo trails and I even find it hard using the mirror to adjust the drag, the ole brain-eyeball connection needs a direct line for the other muscles to work for me :)
I have all the glass defrost and wipers available and it’s not enough sometimes, fans are going to help!
Have fun when it snows, I’m off to blow the 4” we just got, even though the atv would move it fine

Rob if you don't mind me asking about what was the price of that new 84" blower? Trying to get an idea what I should ask for my identical unit. Thanks
I paid $5,402 for it. Too bad we hadn't chatted sooner, we both might have got a deal.

Rob, something I didn’t see mentioned here yet unless I missed it….. your toplink length will adjust your cutting edge ‘height’. I have an 8’ blower on a m7060. On gravel or a bumpy area I’d shorten the top link to make the cutting edge higher up off the ground by a few inches. I leave my 3pt all the way down when in operation or nearly so.
I put a home made Hyd. Deflector on my chute and it’s great in the windy conditions, which I’d think would make using a camera nearly impossible…. Keeping it clean will be the challenge but I look forward to hearing your experience! I also groom skidoo trails and I even find it hard using the mirror to adjust the drag, the ole brain-eyeball connection needs a direct line for the other muscles to work for me :)
I have all the glass defrost and wipers available and it’s not enough sometimes, fans are going to help!
Have fun when it snows, I’m off to blow the 4” we just got, even though the atv would move it fine
I don't think it's a stretch to say everything you're saying is going to be my experience as well.

As far as the camera goes, it wasn't real expensive so even if it only works in the non-winter season for assisting backing into my shop I'll call that a win.

I suspect I'll end up installing the defrost strips this summer, our weather is very similar. My Dad and I used to have a camp on Mongoose lake about an hour and a half North/Northest of Sault Ste. Marie. Does your name on here have anything to do with proximity to Thunder Bay?

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #38  
So how does that compare to a fronted mounted blower, does one have an advantage over the other?
I'd prefer a front blower. Cost and hookup is what keeps many in the rear mounted world. Front mounted come in three flavors. Two styles of Hydraulic hookup and rear PTO hookup to front blower via some additional frame work. Many AG tractors don't have front hydraulics with enough flow. The framework runs a long driveshaft to the blower. Then there's the hydraulic pump that hooks to the rear PTO with long hydraulic hoses to front blower.

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #39  
I've had a 3 pt blower for 30 yrs. In my homemade cab I've mounted an outside tall mirror off of a truck (think farm or semi truck) in a horizontal position just above and in front of my head while seated. The wide horizontal mirror gives a panoramic view of the blower when tilted downward to the right angle. The only time you really need to turn around and look over your shoulder is at the end of the drive to watch for oncoming traffic, or getting real close to objects while going around corners/curves.

Steering while looking into the mirror is as simple as can be. And the size of the mirror would be like 2 or 3 video screens wide.

If you have a wide mirror handy.....sit in your tractor seat and hold it up just in front and above. You'll find the sweet spot for mounting a mirror. It really does work slick. It's another easy option to consider.

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #40  
Our snowmobile trail groomers have mirrors like you mention, almost like a school bus…… it’s a knack to get precise using it. I find with the rear blower one is driving ahead almost as much as backward to reposition for the next ‘blow’, it’s not like you’re looking back the whole time. Front blowers on an M sized machine would be cost prohibitive for the average owner….