The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ #41  
Garlic is welcome in our kitchen; and as I've gotten older and more experienced cooking, I have discovered that garlic is essential in several instances:

Shrimp grilled on the Weber, and fresh corn on the cob, no matter how you cook it: Garlic, salt and butter.

Pork of almost every kind;

Guacamole: Garlic is necessary for me. Short story. Sharn Jean and I were having dinner at Senor Frogs in St. Thomas USVI, and guacamole was something we ordered. I asked the waitress if garlic was an ingredient, and she said it wasn't, so I asked her to add it. When she brought our meal, I asked her if she sampled it, and apparently she did, because she raved about how much better it was.

My former neighbor, who moved over 20 years ago, planted Elephant garlic in his garden and around his back yard...and there is enough that comes up volunteer every year that we always have a small garlic harvest.

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ #42  
It's cool you gained a new garlic fan! And about your past neighbor's plotting, what a legacy he left! That's swell.

I think of my grandma when I see her onion chives she set up in the cinderblocks in front of a shed. Neat, clever, quaint. The onion chives, they never fail, and the cinderblocks hold fast to them. Grandma's memory lives on.

Elephant garlic = Leeks
A different species than garlic, itself. They're like vg friends, but not sisters.
I believe garlic is more finicky than elephant garlic, as humans have had strong, pretty constant hand in their character arc over time.

I would like to find some kurrat seeds (elephant garlic from Egypt) to try that out for fun over here.

And now that I have my own land, I'm starting to plant garlic cloves again, and this time on my terms. It's been hard to grow garlic and other things in a small, frequently mowed yard. I'm so happy for my future-home and earth site.

Also, it would be a trip(!) to come across some garlic going to seed. This is rare for them, as they haven't needed to bother with seeds for reproductive purposes. "Seeds? Ah-ha, that's moot, baby," Garlic replies when we politely inquire. I've planted some garlic and am purposely neglecting them ("garlic" can be plural, like "bear", in my usage), at both places, to see how they fare and develop. Who knows what our tomorrows bring.

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ #43  
Guacamole: Garlic is necessary for me. Short story. Sharn Jean and I were having dinner at Senor Frogs in St. Thomas USVI, and guacamole was something we ordered. I asked the waitress if garlic was an ingredient, and she said it wasn't, so I asked her to add it. When she brought our meal, I asked her if she sampled it, and apparently she did, because she raved about how much better it was.
I went by Senor Frogs in St Thomas 2 weeks ago and it was closed down. I hope it wasn't because of the garlic.o_O:)

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ #44  
Garlic & capsaicin (hot pepper) are good anti-parasitics (won't necessarily cure you of parasites but can help keep them from getting a toehold).
A+ for global warming...

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ #45  
***Health benefits of garlic***
1. Better Blood Pressure
2. Lower Cholesterol
3. Reduced Risk of Heart Disease
4. Garlic for Colds and Flu
5. Better Athletic Performance
6. Stronger Bones
7. Improved Memory
8. Super Skin
Have any double blind studies been done to substantiate these claims?

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ #46  
Have any double blind studies been done to substantiate these claims?
🀣 Nice thought!

It is almost impossible to do a double blind study with something as aromatic as garlic...

So, yes, the clinical data supporting the above claims aren't great, but they aren't zero, either. My $0.02 would be to eat it because you like it.

All the best,

Peter

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ #47  
   / The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ #48  
Garlic is welcome in our kitchen; and as I've gotten older and more experienced cooking, I have discovered that garlic is essential in several instances:

Shrimp grilled on the Weber, and fresh corn on the cob, no matter how you cook it: Garlic, salt and butter.

Pork of almost every kind;

My former neighbor, who moved over 20 years ago, planted Elephant garlic in his garden and around his back yard...and there is enough that comes up volunteer every year that we always have a small garlic harvest.
Almost anything is made better by adding garlic. Except, maybe, ice cream.

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ #50  
Elephant garlic = Leeks
A different species than garlic, itself. They're like vg friends, but not sisters.
I believe garlic is more finicky than elephant garlic, as humans have had strong, pretty constant hand in their character arc over time.

I would like to find some kurrat seeds (elephant garlic from Egypt) to try that out for fun over here.

Just be aware that Elephant Garlic can cross with Leeks if you decide to produce your own seed. I bought some leek seed last year of a variety I have grown all my life - Musselburgh, and about half the plants are a cross between garlic and leek. Never experienced it before, but they grow like leeks in appearance, yet some form a bulb with cloves at the base the same as garlic, and others are superficially the same as a leek when harvested but consist of several individually formed "garlic type" stems encased within the usual leek type sheaths of leaves. They both taste just like garlic, including the leek like leaves so no real harm done exept that we are short of leeks this winter, but have an excess of garlic. Some of the packet produced leeks, but no doubt the contents were from a number of seed heads in a big batch grown by the producer of the seed.

Kurrat is generally known as Egyptian Leek, and is a leek, not a garlic. I am not aware of any source of seed. Egyptian Onion is a completely different vegetable, so again, be aware.

Also, it would be a trip(!) to come across some garlic going to seed. This is rare for them, as they haven't needed to bother with seeds for reproductive purposes.
As you say, Garlic appears reluctant to set seed. It often produces pips or bulbils though, and these are notoriously difficult to propagate, but if you can get them to grow (I have had minimal success in the past, but still try with pips from particularly good bulbs) they will usually produce a single round clove in the first growing season, and these too are not easy to grow on, but if they do they will produce a normal garlic bulb of several cloves the next year. On the other hand, leeks are very easy to propagate from pips (it is the normal method used by exhibition growers in the UK) and I would expect, but have no experience, that Egytian Leeks would be the same. I have never seen Kurrat growing or for sale despite living in Portugal for 18 years up to last year.