The search for a utility trailer

/ The search for a utility trailer #1  

cp1969

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3000DT
Went looking for a 16' tandem axle utility trailer today.

What a disappointment.

The ones I looked at were of such pathetic quality and flimsy construction that I don't think I'd use one if they gave it to me. I am no welder, but I swear I could do better than most of the welds I saw. No frame underneath, only flimsy angle iron crossmembers welded to a perimeter of not-much-stronger channel iron. Apparently the pine floor is what ties the whole creaking mess together.

I'm going to look at a Texas Bragg Monday. Hopefully it'll be better, but I'm not counting on it.

/ The search for a utility trailer #2  
How much did the trailers you were looking at cost?

Good luck in your search.

/ The search for a utility trailer #3  
I think you will like the Texas Bragg. I have a 16' one that I have put over 5000 miles on (mostly hauling my TC40) and it is holding up great. Here is a pic of mine.
Mark

Attachments

• 5-68594-P9081420sm.jpg
    5-68594-P9081420sm.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 205
   / The search for a utility trailer
They were in the $1100 to $1500 range.

I did see a really good one, but it was a much heavier trailer, rated for hauling heavy stuff like backhoes and the like. I didn't even ask how much cause I knew I couldn't afford. I doubt if my truck could even pull it, empty.

Mark, it does look a little better, at least from this distance.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by cp1969 on 09/08/01 06:16 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ The search for a utility trailer #5  
There is a lot of 16ft cheaply made trailer on the market. Mainly aimed at the landscape folks, where weight capactity is not an issue and amount of deck space is the driving force in a trailer.

Gary.

/ The search for a utility trailer #7  
Mark, What price range does your trailer fall in? It looks well built.
Jeff

/ The search for a utility trailer #8  
I had a trailer like this one, one with sides. Now I have one without sides but can add sides. I like the one without sides much better. It makes it much faster in loading and unloading my tractor. If you think you need 16 foot trailer, buy 18 footer, you will be surprised how much you use the extra feet.

Dan L

/ The search for a utility trailer #9  
I paid $1500 for it. I actually wanted an 18', but the dealer knocked off $500 on the 16' because it was a 2000 model and wanted to move it off his lot. It would be nice to have the extra 2' but I am very happy with this one. It has hauled some heavy loads, including my TC40 to and from Missouri from North Carolina. Eventually I want a 20' with dovetail and folding ramps.
Mark

/ The search for a utility trailer
Thanks, Steve.

Maybe if I decide to come out and buy one of those used 3010's from you, I'll buy the trailer, too./w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif