The Tallest Heaviest Tree That I Have Put On The Burn Pile, 42', 18.5" DBH

/ The Tallest Heaviest Tree That I Have Put On The Burn Pile, 42', 18.5" DBH #1  

Xfaxman

Super Star Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610 G - Bobcat V417 - TORO+Loader
This oak tree put leaves on this spring, but fell over last month. It is the Siamese twin of the tall one on the right, they are connected at ground level.

P7150008.JPG

Reached in and grappled it at the balance point, raised the boom, but the rear end came off of the ground. :eek:

P7150014.JPG

Drove around into the woods and noticed it still had one big root in the ground. So I put the grapple under the trunk and pulled it up.

P7150015.JPG

Walked back to the pasture to take a picture of the root and broken trunk, but it it didn't show through the little trees very well. :(

P7150018.JPG

So I walked back to the V417, reached in and pushed extend on the joystick. Now it is visible.

P7150020.JPG

Dropped it on the ground.

P7150024.JPG

Drove back around and picked it up.

P7150029.JPG

P7150040.JPG

Took it to the burn pile.

P7150043.JPG

I knew it was heavy, so I slowly extended the boom until it reached the tipping point. :thumbsup:

P7150045.JPG

Got the lens dirty in the process.

P7150046.JPG

/ The Tallest Heaviest Tree That I Have Put On The Burn Pile, 42', 18.5" DBH #3  
Your Bobcat is one acrobatic, lifting machine. Now, aren't you going to cut it into smaller chunks before you burn it? Reason I ask - I have a large burn pile that resulted from several large dead pines(pine bark beetle). I chunk them into 5' to 8' lengths so that they will completely burn without having to be repositioned. I really don't want to have to get the tractor any where near my burn pile once I get it going.

/ The Tallest Heaviest Tree That I Have Put On The Burn Pile, 42', 18.5" DBH #4  
Is there any firewood guys who would wand those trees?

I like your older Tele-Handler, has more power than the new ones and looks to be built more for off-road use.

/ The Tallest Heaviest Tree That I Have Put On The Burn Pile, 42', 18.5" DBH
sad you lost the tree
We were just happy that it didn't fall on a horse. There are so many trees here, it won't be missed.

Now, aren't you going to cut it into smaller chunks before you burn it?
I may shorten it some. This is a permanent burn area, so after the fire I push what didn't burn back to the middle to start the next pile.

Is there any firewood guys who would want those trees?
Since this one is not long dead, guess I should call my neighbor.

/ The Tallest Heaviest Tree That I Have Put On The Burn Pile, 42', 18.5" DBH #6  
Is there any firewood guys who would wand those trees?

I like your older Tele-Handler, has more power than the new ones and looks to be built more for off-road use.

I am doing the same thing as the OP, burning firewood size trees.

In my neck of the woods, you can't give away logs for firewood. The value in firewood is in the delivery and stacking. I don't have the resources or time so in the burn pile it goes.

/ The Tallest Heaviest Tree That I Have Put On The Burn Pile, 42', 18.5" DBH #7  
I am doing the same thing as the OP, burning firewood size trees.

In my neck of the woods, you can't give away logs for firewood. The value in firewood is in the delivery and stacking. I don't have the resources or time so in the burn pile it goes.
Same here, if you advertise free firewood, they want to know if it is cut and split and some even expect you to deliver it for free. Some folks have balls big as beach balls.

/ The Tallest Heaviest Tree That I Have Put On The Burn Pile, 42', 18.5" DBH
P7150036.JPG

Since I was wondering how much it weighed, I took the crane scale out to a convenient stump, hung it from the front edge of the grapple, hooked the chain around the stump and zeroed the display.

P7170003.JPG

P7170002.JPG

With the boom fully extended, raised it until the rear tires came up.

P7170006.JPG

Scale showed 2,236 pounds.

P7170010.JPG

Moved the scale to the back of the grapple, 33 inches from where is was at the front.

P7170013.JPG

Raised the boom until the tires came up, scale showed 3,012 pounds.

P7170011 at back.JPG

So with the tree in the middle of the grapple it should weigh around 2,600 pounds. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / The Tallest Heaviest Tree That I Have Put On The Burn Pile, 42', 18.5" DBH #9  
There you go again Dennis... a few choice friendly curse words didn't make this post. Well done!

/ The Tallest Heaviest Tree That I Have Put On The Burn Pile, 42', 18.5" DBH #10  
Same here, if you advertise free firewood, they want to know if it is cut and split and some even expect you to deliver it for free. Some folks have balls big as beach balls.
Not here. I cut the tops out and stack the trunks and put them on Craigslist as "Oak Logs". 6-12-16 Wood Pile.jpg I load them as logs with my forks. Just less I have to burn. Just wish I had a sawmill.
hugs, Brandi