Thermapen...anyone have one?

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
I am considering getting a Thermapen. If they are advertised, they would be worth the rather high price. I have a cheapie now, but it is so slow it's almost useless. Anyone have one and like it?

om21braz

Veteran Member
2Lane, they work well and the best thing over cheaper ones is how quick they react. Just a second or two and final temp is displayed. I have checked mine against the Thermoworks multiple probe/Bluetooth unit and built in unit on Memphis grill - all are less than 5 degrees apart.

tomplum

Veteran Member
Tractor
XJ2025H
Yep. All their items I have from them I like. Buy direct from them. Even better if you have time, sign up for their newsletter. Good sales to boot come via email.

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
Purchased one this spring for my yoder smoker,very happy with it.Best one on the market IMHO

OP
2LaneCruzer

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Thanks. I'm convinced...will order one ASAP!

OP
2LaneCruzer

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Thanks for that; it's certainly worth a try...and I can probably get it locally. Thanks again.

shaeff

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF Utility 35 Gasser, JLG LJ500
I've been using Thermapens for probably 8 years, maybe more. I've got a Thermapen MKIV now, rotating lighted display helps a lot when you're grilling or smoking in the dark. If I turn on exterior lights I get too many bugs so I leave them off.

If it broke today I'd have a new one on the way before 5pm. I consider it an essential cooking tool, it takes all the guesswork out of whether or not your food is done. My cooking/smoking game has increased exponentially since I got my first one years ago. The quick read can tell you which way you need to rotate your steak to get it cooked evenly compared to where the hot-spot is on your grill. (the hot-spot you've gotta know or figure out ;) )

I've recommended one to pretty much anyone I know. While you're at it, grab one of Amazingribs.com's meat temperature magnets. I've got a smaller, older one, but it's a good quick-reference to have handy.
Amazon.com : GrillGrate AmazingRibs.com Comprehensive Food Temperature Guide (8.5" x 11") : Garden & Outdoor

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
Ditto on all the good reviews here. Just got mine last week.

While researching this, someone pointed to the warning on Thermowork's website about buying directly from Thermoworks/approved distributors because of some shady dealings with non-authorized sellers, like on Amazon. Worth a read first:

Why You Won't Find the Thermapen on Amazon | ThermoWorks