Thermostat crapped out

/ Thermostat crapped out #1  

marchanna

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DS4110, Kubota GR2120
Well, it looks like my thermostat crapped out. I noticed recently since the cold weather that my 08' DS4110 wasn't getting up to temp. The other day it was -5C (23F) and the needle wasn't even rising after warming it up for 1/2 an hour. I cut a sheet of solid plastic and replaced the debris screen in front of the radiator with it, and lo and behold, within a couple minutes it was up to temp.

I haven't priced a thermostat from the dealer yet, but Tractor Joe has them for about $20. Has anyone else found a decent source for them?

/ Thermostat crapped out #2  
I don't think your thermostat has had it you have to work the tractor quite hard to get the temp. up when it's -5.

/ Thermostat crapped out
I don't think your thermostat has had it you have to work the tractor quite hard to get the temp. up when it's -5.

I probably didn't explain this as clearly as I should have. I actually could not get the temperature to register even after using it. After the fist couple of minutes, I throttled it up to 1,700 rpm and then 2,000, and drove it around for a bit. It should have registered something by that point. Once I covered the rad the temp went up to the right temp in about a minute or two. After that, went I throttled it up, the temp would actually drop. It sounds to me like the thermostat is stuck open - which is what it's supposed to do when it fails.

/ Thermostat crapped out #4  
Is there lots of coolant in there?
Sorry have to ask.

/ Thermostat crapped out #6  
I’ve operated my ck3510 quite a bit in the 15-25 degree (f) range and found that only at nearly full throttle or working very hard does it really ever warm up without the cardboard on the radiator. The other day after letting it “warm up” for 15 minutes I was over a mile down the road at full tilt before I even really had heat.

/ Thermostat crapped out
I do get some like-warm heat through the heater fairly soon after startup. I keep the heater off to prevent loss.

/ Thermostat crapped out #8  
Well, it looks like my thermostat crapped out. I noticed recently since the cold weather that my 08' DS4110 wasn't getting up to temp. The other day it was -5C (23F) and the needle wasn't even rising after warming it up for 1/2 an hour. I cut a sheet of solid plastic and replaced the debris screen in front of the radiator with it, and lo and behold, within a couple minutes it was up to temp.

I haven't priced a thermostat from the dealer yet, but Tractor Joe has them for about $20. Has anyone else found a decent source for them?

I would think that your Canadian importer should understand that they need warmer T-stats. I put in a warmer T-stat in my tractor because it couldn't get up to working temperature even while working and this was causing emissions problems. If they use the same T-stat the stock T-state begins opening at 160°F and is fully open at 180°F. I replaced it with a T-state that begins opening at 175°F and is fully open at 185°F. I also have half my radiator covered year-round. Supposed to get -30°F next week, stay warm.

/ Thermostat crapped out
Well, maybe I値l go in and chat with the service guy and see what his thoughts are.