Things that happen in your small town that you wonder if it happens everywhere?

/ Things that happen in your small town that you wonder if it happens everywhere? #91  
While doing home inspections for a finance co. I was searching for a particular home in eastern KY.
No road signs or mailboxes.
Saw a man out in his yard and told him who I was looking for and was promptly told that they lived the next holler over.
Went to the Chinese Restaurant in Somerset and they now have more Mexican employees than Chinese.

/ Things that happen in your small town that you wonder if it happens everywhere? #92  
Visiting Puckerbrush.....
P1006311ertbn1-6-23.jpg

/ Things that happen in your small town that you wonder if it happens everywhere? #93  
the Real California:

When there was NorCal importer wholesaling 400 VN Refurb Yanmars a month, I met there a man with a flatbed who was buying a few for resale. I got to talking with him. Mexican. Nearly no English. (I speak Spanish). He told me he specializes in selling to immigrants from India in the large farm community of 'Fresno Indians', in California's Central Valley. He said they trust him more than they trust local established tractor dealers and he was making a good living. A small town Melting Pot example that may not be obvious to most outsiders.

/ Things that happen in your small town that you wonder if it happens everywhere? #94  
While doing home inspections for a finance co. I was searching for a particular home in eastern KY.
No road signs or mailboxes.
Saw a man out in his yard and told him who I was looking for and was promptly told that they lived the next holler over.
Went to the Chinese Restaurant in Somerset and they now have more Mexican employees than Chinese.
Last time I looked, the employees at the local Fuji Express appeared to be of mostly Hispanic ancestry. The food was delicious.

Last edited:
   / Things that happen in your small town that you wonder if it happens everywhere? #95  
The worst restaurant that I ever ate at was a small diner in the coast of Maine. The woman had just opened the place and it was her life's dream.
The problem was that she couldn't cook. I don't remember what I ordered, that I remember was it was all that I could do to choke it down. To add insult to injury her waitress didn't show up that day so she also doubled as wait staff. She had some type of leg problem so could barely walk. I don't imagine she stayed open very long.
That was obviously not Becky's Diner in Portland!

/ Things that happen in your small town that you wonder if it happens everywhere? #96  
the Real California:

When there was NorCal importer wholesaling 400 VN Refurb Yanmars a month, I met there a man with a flatbed who was buying a few for resale. I got to talking with him. Mexican. Nearly no English. (I speak Spanish). He told me he specializes in selling to immigrants from India in the large farm community of 'Fresno Indians', in California's Central Valley. He said they trust him more than they trust local established tractor dealers and he was making a good living. A small town Melting Pot example that may not be obvious to most outsiders.
Part of the H1B for replacing US Citizens. Over a million in NJ from all over Asia, Eastern Europe etc.
I have plenty of friends who came from these countries, many chose to do real citizenship and that was onerous, even they don't like this whole H1B process, gov supported pods.

/ Things that happen in your small town that you wonder if it happens everywhere? #97  
Used to eat at a really great Chinese restaurant; it blew me down when I heard the Chinese owner talk to the help in Spanish.
Back when they banned Asian women from entering the US, the Chinese would bring wives to Mexico. And there are remnants of that population in Tijuana today. I was in a Mexican Resuraaunt with a freind who spoke Mandarin, and we were setting near the kitchen. He got one of those looks like a confused cat, and i asked him what was up. The kitchen staff were speaking to each other in almost mandarin, with some Spanish mixed in.

/ Things that happen in your small town that you wonder if it happens everywhere? #98  
We have the normal small town in the west politics, mostly dominated by LDS folks, because they vote as a block. Hive minded folks.

We are the commercial hub for two counties, so though the town in only at about 2000 people, the service area gets it up to about 4000. The big towns are 2.5 to 3-hours away, so unless you’re desperate, you go with Amazon, or have one of the local stores order things for you.

We have an ACE hardware, which is the highest volume store in the Ace group. They get freight twice a week, If you let them know you need something by noon on Saturday, they will have it in stock Monday’s at about 1300. Or Wednesday by noon, they can get it in on the Thursday truck. Local grocery is the highest volume store in the IGA, has a good selection in stock and they will special order things if you ask, but you may have to buy a whole case of it. When I’m putting together the Christmas dinner boxes for the food bank, they sell it to me for cost. The local lumberyard is part of an association of 8 lumberyards in Montana northern Idaho. So, they can get you small quantities of things, like 8-sheets of pre-finished AA maple ApplePly Plywood, instead of having to get the whole bunk. We have a good independent tractor repair shop, and three auto parts stores, two of which can order parts for agricultural, mining, and construction equipment, and get them here the next day

We have two stoplights, and there is discussion of moving one of them a few blocks up the road, so it lines up with the new ambulance shed and fire department.
This sounds awesome 👍

/ Things that happen in your small town that you wonder if it happens everywhere? #99  
3 Tim Hortons, 1 Starbucks, numerous coffee spots and coffee trucks

Trans-Canada Highway runs through the middle of town, no bypass route and the highway gets shut down for 3 or 4+ hrs, about 5-6x per yea

the short-cut for many pedestrians is by walking along the railway tracks. sadly, we have a reputation developing because every year 1 or 2 residents get struck and killed by passing trains as they are walking inside the rails and oblivious to the train descending upon them (in some cases the pedestrian effort has been deliberate). Devastating results for all connected.

TRIPLE RAINBOWS seen regularly, not frequently