Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #271  
50 years ago, you could just jump on your motorcycle and go. Not helmet or any thing. 50 years ago you didn't have to pay for an annual infection species tax on your boat. Didn't have to wear seat belts in the car, You could drive to any Oregon Beach and it was free. Didn't even need an ORV permit to run the dunes or in the common Forest Woods. All changed now, as everyone wants a cut, and they want a beach access fee money and ORV money. You can't smoke a cigarette on an Oregon beach or have your dog off leash. Can't have a campfire, or stay over night in all the interesting areas that use to be free to over night with a camp fire. And Oregon State says, F-you, to the locals that depended on this, for tourists to enjoy a little freedom from their urban lives. I am so glad I got to see and experience this State, 20 years ago, before the bean counters got involved. It is a pale place to explore, now, then it use to be, with so many restrictions and fees for anything that use to be free. Driving on the beach now is just a tiny fraction of the areas one use to be able to drive on.

Last edited:
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #272  
It's sad when collectively many seniors I know remember how things were and see the direction we are headed and say at least I won't be around...

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #273  
50 years ago, you could just jump on your motorcycle and go. Not helmet or any thing. 50 years ago you didn't have to pay for an annual infection species tax on your boat. Didn't have to wear seat belts in the car, You could drive to any Oregon Beach and it was free. Didn't even need an ORV permit to run the dunes or in the common Forest Woods. All changed now, as everyone wants a cut, and they want a beach access fee money and ORV money. You can't smoke a cigarette on an Oregon beach or have your dog off leash. Can't have a campfire, or stay over night in all the interesting areas that use to be free to over night with a camp fire. And Oregon State says, F-you, to the locals that depended on this, for tourists to enjoy a little freedom from their urban lives. I am so glad I got to see and experience this State, 20 years ago, before the bean counters got involved. It is a pale place to explore, now, then it use to be, with so many restrictions and fees for anything that use to be free. Driving on the beach now is just a tiny fraction of the areas one use to be able to drive on.
It's not quite as restrictive as all that.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #274  
"You can call on a cab to bring you gas in a can from their own supply." That statement from the article posted, almost had me laughing. What Cab Service are they talking about? Cannon Beach to Lincoln City maybe? But south of Florence, no freaken way. :) The article did have me laughing on the lack of gas available on 26. As, years ago, I had just bought a G30 Van, with a 454 throttle body fuel injection and didn't yet understand that it got at best, 13 Miles to the gallon. Discovered that you could put Coleman Gas in a car, so long as you fethered the gas peddle up to the point it would knock, then back off. We coasted back into civilization on fumes. :) Oregon is unigue in the USA, in that the entire coast line is still considered a public access area. And if you want to see just how remote you can get on a coastline, in the lower 48, a hike from Bandon to Floras Lake is as remote as it gets. :)

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #275  
I always found the internet and online shopping destroying Sears, and JC Penny as semi humorous in a slightly twisted way.

You had a store chain, which built itself as a mail order catalog enterprise, which then branched out to brick and mortar where they stocked the more popular items from the catalog, but which still had their catalog.

The the internet move started, and they still had their catalogs, and brick and mortar stores. The internet ate into their mail order sales so the got rid of the catalog division, and moved to just brick and mortar.

If they had only had a modicum of foresight, and actual intelligence: They could have moved their catalog, (it was already in HTML, and it would have been pretty straight forward), to an online presence they would still be world class enterprises.
It is actually even worse than you say.

Sears had a very sophisticated computer network and systems before Amazon was even a dream. Sears had everything it needed to be an Internet Giant. Amazon is now moving to have some Brick and Mortar stores. Sears already had the Brick and Mortar stores, the brand name, brand loyalty and the computer network/systems. All they had to do was beef up the back end to handle increased traffic and put in the customer facing access.....

Complete leadership failure.

Later,
Dan

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #277  
That brings back the memories. That McDonald's looks like the one near my granny's house. I would visit it her at least twice a year when I was a kid and we would go to McDonald's to get a hamburger, fries and a soda. There were no Big Mac's or Quarter Pounders. I don't think there was a Fish sandwich either. Just the hamburgers and fries.

We used to have fun seeing how many hamburgers had been sold. :ROFLMAO: I think they stopped changing the sign about how many had been sold after they hit a billion. :ROFLMAO: The original store was in place for many decades before it was torn down and replaced with a bigger, more modern McDs. Just looked at Google Maps on street view and it is still there. McD's has been in that location for over 60 years.....

Right across from the McDs is a Krystal's. I really miss Krystal's. We used to go there to eat too. Even as a kid I would six of those burgers. :ROFLMAO:

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #278  
Ac was optional anyway. You had '55 air'. Flip the vent window around and all was good.... :p
And those vent windows worked really well too! Had some problems with the AC in the truck and I was wishing for a vent window.......

Later,
Dan

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #279  
Now, you've got me thinking about a traffic safety film they showed our PE class called Mechanized Death. It gave the gore flick Blood Feast, on at the drive in that year, a run for the money.
A police officer would come to our elementary school at least once a year and show a stranger danger film. Course they did not call it that back then but that is what the film was about. There was one scene that was a bloody tile floor. Always assumed it was the bathroom but it was just a bloody tile floor. Simple but got the point across.

Can't imagine them doing what the doctors did in Jigs_N_Fixtures school system in any of the schools I went too! :ROFLMAO: But they should have shown those films. We had too many teen pregnancies. A 13 year old got pregnant but I think it was more of a rape than consensual. She was Catholic and went to visit her grandmother. Not sure I ever saw her again. That was very unusual in that school system but then we moved back to Florida and I was shocked at the number of girls in school walking around pregnant. :eek:

Later,
Dan

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #280  
A police officer would come to our elementary school at least once a year and show a stranger danger film. Course they did not call it that back then but that is what the film was about. There was one scene that was a bloody tile floor. Always assumed it was the bathroom but it was just a bloody tile floor. Simple but got the point across.

Can't imagine them doing what the doctors did in Jigs_N_Fixtures school system in any of the schools I went too! :ROFLMAO: But they should have shown those films. We had too many teen pregnancies. A 13 year old got pregnant but I think it was more of a rape than consensual. She was Catholic and went to visit her grandmother. Not sure I ever saw her again. That was very unusual in that school system but then we moved back to Florida and I was shocked at the number of girls in school walking around pregnant. :eek:

Later,
Dan
I remember when the first girl in our class got pregnant, must have been the summer before 9th grade. I never saw her again.

Status
Not open for further replies.