Thinking about a TC-29

/ Thinking about a TC-29 #1  

motownbrowne

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota mx4700 HST, New Holland TC-29D
I have the opportunity to buy a tc-29 with less than 1000 hours for around $6000. Fluid filled industrial tires, hydrostatic, and no loader (i don't want one for this machine). It seems used, but assuming at least some maintenance occurred, it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I want a tractor that'll be easier on my grass when it's wet out (my MX has filled R1s) and can do some of the jobs I'm using the Kubota for. It'd really save me time to be able to swap tractors instead of swapping implements some of the time.

Mostly I'll use it with a 50" tiller, a 5' bush hog, a 6'flail mower, and a Farmi 351 skidding winch.

What are your impressions of these TCs? How are the prices for parts? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

/ Thinking about a TC-29 #2  
Tie rod ends are a little pricy considering you can't lubricate them, I can tell you that. Fuel filter is small and will require frequent replacement, but at least it is fairly inexpensive. I don't think you are going to find the loaded industrial tires on a TC29 to be very easy on wet or spring softened lawn. Mine is the next smaller model with similar tires and I bought a 72" rear discharge finishing mower for the rear, it's fine when the ground is dry and sun baked, otherwise it will leave some fairly significant tracks. You'll want to be doing most of your mowing in 2-wheel drive, in 4-wheel the fronts will chew up the lawn in tight turns due to wheel fight. The rig is far too heavy to use on a tile bed.

/ Thinking about a TC-29
Yeah, I know it'll still leave a trail, but it'll still be a lot less weight on more area than my Kubota on 13.6x28 ag tires. I'm also thinking I can remove the fluid as a further step if need be.

/ Thinking about a TC-29 #4  
My father-in-law has a TC29 with supersteer and turf tires. Not sure how much it is to switch from industrial to turf, but that would be the way to go.

/ Thinking about a TC-29 #5  
I think the fluid in those tires adds about 300+ pounds per tire and you probably won't notice it in most situations. The front tires will be the ones that scuff while turning sharp and you can lessen that by having two right legs when you turn. One on the hydro pedal and one on the appropriate brake. By not having a fel, it also lessens the front tire scuffing. Everyone complains about parts and prices no matter what the make. My biggest concerns are how much maintenance was done and if you can verify what was done. Its appearance should be indicative of its prior use and abuse and the lack of a fel leans toward it being an overgrown lawn mower, like mine was (no fel either). If you can't verify the maintenance, you are looking at $350 to $400 for filters, fluid, etc. I think you will find yourself using the TC29 a lot more than the mx for the chores you are describing.

/ Thinking about a TC-29
My father-in-law has a TC29 with supersteer and turf tires. Not sure how much it is to switch from industrial to turf, but that would be the way to go.

Yep, that's the last option in case the industrials are too aggressive. I think I'd likely be able to find some used, or even better, someone with turfs who wants to trade.

I think you will find yourself using the TC29 a lot more than the mx for the chores you are describing.

Yeah, I agree. The MX is a great machine, but it's a bit of a compromise. I needed a tractor with a loader that can lift a ton on a pallet. The MX can do that. I also needed a tractor with ag tires that can fit in our vegetable production system, which is a series of raised beds on the side of a hill. The MX was available with narrow enough tires with a greatly adjustable tread width, so it works great for that. In many cases, wider tires would crush the crop we are working around, or destroy the beds we made. But, on the other hand, especially before crops are in the ground, and after they are out, a lighter footprint tractor will be the cats meow. There are plenty of times when I'd use the bush hog for an hour or two in the evening, but don't feel like dropping the tiller, mounting the bush hog, and then switching back before we use the tiller again in the morning. That's just one example, but there'll be lots of opportunity to use the TC.

/ Thinking about a TC-29
Talked to the seller and my CFO today. I'll get to see the NH this week. Does $6000 seem like a good price for a tc29 with no loader assuming it's in halfway decent shape?

/ Thinking about a TC-29 #8  
Bought ours, a 2000 year,gear shift with 240 hrs back in 2012. Came with a Woods finish mower in fair shape and a rear blade. Paid $7,500. Just to give you an idea.

/ Thinking about a TC-29 #9  
That's a good deal assuming it's not beat to heck. If you need it, it's in good shape, jump on it! The smaller TZ series with no loader and same hours are going for that price.

/ Thinking about a TC-29
Well I did the deal! $5500 out the door. I'll start a new thread with pictures and more info once the sun comes up. Thanks for everyone's input, and I look forward to spending more time on the NH side of TBN.