Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #1  

JESSE1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 6400
I've had John Deere tractors for the past 40 years but never had a 20 series. Always heard that a 4020 was one of the best JD built. I'm considering trying to find a good one for some work but mainly for taking to tractor shows. Any opinions on what to look out for or years to avoid?

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #2  
I would pick a '69-'72 4020 due to location of 3pt/scv control levers & factory installed 12 volt electrical system. The features I mentioned cause late model 4020's to command more $$$$ than earlier models. I've seen abused 4020's but I've never seen a bad 4020. Several yrs ago I sold my neighbor a very nice '69 4020 with Powershift trans & a FEL. It gets utilized on his dairy very regularly. I'm fond of 4020's due to selling them when they were brand new. But I'll chose my 4255 with SGB(cold AC) & quad range to use any day over a 4020. A gentleman in Iowa that I've sold some tractors to has a nice late model 4020 for sale if you're interested.

Last edited:
   / Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #3  
The 4020 was always my favorite. I have thought about buying one several times in the last few years but I just do not have a way to justify a big tractor.

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #4  
A dairy farmer in NY has a video of their re-build of a 4020 that was finished up by their oldest son. A family farm bought new in '69. They are working it. Big farm, lots of John Deere's and almost daily video's of their farming, fixing, fabricating endeavors.

I find it quite interesting as not much "hype" or drama, but others may not. Oldest son does a lot of farm work, two of three daughters do a lot of truck and tractor driving, and the youngest son (11) does his share of field work on his own.

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #5  
I would pick a '69-'72 4020 due to location of 3pt/scv control levers & factory installed 12 volt electrical system. The features I mentioned cause late model 4020's to command more $$$$ than earlier models. I've seen abused 4020's but I've never seen a bad 4020. Several yrs ago I sold my neighbor a very nice '69 4020 with Powershift trans & a FEL. It gets utilized on his dairy very regularly. I'm fond of 4020's due to selling them when they were brand new. But I'll chose my 4255 with SGB(cold AC) & quad range to use any day over a 4020. A gentleman in Iowa that I've sold some tractors to has a nice late model 4020 for sale if you're interested.
Agree with the 69 to 72 model years, Used a 4020 for years and it had over 12,000 hours on it before it was sold and reconditioned by a friend. He put another 4,000 hours on it and sold it. Have good memories of the 4020, it was durable and easy to operate. The power shift performed flawlessly.

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #6  
A later model 4020 if your stuck on that series of JD. Power shift would also be my preference. You can set how tight the shifts are with an adjustment on the side of the transmission. We would set it tight for plowing and looser for baling.

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows
I wanted to get something different to show. Lots of two cylinder Deeres, never see any later models like the 4020. Also like the fact that most of the parts should still be available. Hard to believe that these tractors are getting close to 60 years old.

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #8  
No chips or complicated electrical systems in those older machines, if you can get it turning over it will start and run all day.

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #9  
They are a nice tractor if a person likes the green ones,
we have one on the farm along with two 4430's.
They are quite a step up in comfort especially with a cab and AC.
They will if the trend continues as it has bring the same money now and in 20 more years.

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows
My primary tractor is a '96 6400 with cab and loader that I bought new. If I bought a 4020 it would mainly be taken to tractor shows and used as a back-up tractor.