Thinking of buying a tilt trailer, advice please

/ Thinking of buying a tilt trailer, advice please #1  

Charlesaf3

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030, Kubota M59 TLB
I'm thinking of buying a tilt trailer as loading my b3030 with woods bh 80 hoe is a total pain on my big pequea deckover. Hoe is set too far back, so it drags through everything. And the Pequea has a nice dovetail, but I really hate driving the b3030 up the ramps on crowned roads. All in loading the tractor on the trailer is becoming something I kind of dread.

So I'm thinking of getting a smaller tilt for general use. Wife has signed off. I've read various threads on here about why people like and dislike them, but most are older, any new info/takes?

And which company would people recommend? PJ/Big Tex/Kaufman/ someone else? I think I want the deck as low as possible. After reading the thread here I'd want a split deck to get the trailer tires as far back, I'd think, but would that make loading a car with a winch harder? Or should I just get an anti-sway bar, which I find useful on my other trailers pulling with a half ton, so I'm already rigged for it?

thanks all

/ Thinking of buying a tilt trailer, advice please
I should add, after reading some more threads, I'm tempted by hydraulic with remote. Don't really like the idea of the trailer moving on me. And that seems like it would make a full deck more practical, and maybe useful as a "fake" dump trailer. The pjs seem to be 10 or 11 degrees, which isn't bad.

/ Thinking of buying a tilt trailer, advice please #3  
I'm thinking of buying a tilt trailer as loading my b3030 with woods bh 80 hoe is a total pain on my big pequea deckover. Hoe is set too far back, so it drags through everything. And the Pequea has a nice dovetail, but I really hate driving the b3030 up the ramps on crowned roads. All in loading the tractor on the trailer is becoming something I kind of dread.

So I'm thinking of getting a smaller tilt for general use. Wife has signed off. I've read various threads on here about why people like and dislike them, but most are older, any new info/takes?

And which company would people recommend? PJ/Big Tex/Kaufman/ someone else? I think I want the deck as low as possible. After reading the thread here I'd want a split deck to get the trailer tires as far back, I'd think, but would that make loading a car with a winch harder? Or should I just get an anti-sway bar, which I find useful on my other trailers pulling with a half ton, so I'm already rigged for it?

thanks all
I think Kaufman might be the least expensive, but they require that you arrange for unloading at your destination.
I have an equipment trailer built by Quality Steel & Aluminum (Elkhart, Ind.) that I bought from Tim's RV in Erving Ma. (best price).
Mine is not a tilt deck, but I am sure that you could order one.
My trailer is a 14K low deck, equipment trailer, and I use an Equalizer hitch ("anti-sway bar"?), plus have added a set of "Air Lift Suspension Air Springs" to my GMC 2500 4x4.
Whatever the brand/type, it will be a somewhat costly to take your new trailer for a ride on the Woods Hole to Vineyard ferry (or will you take it over there?).
Everything costs mucho in: "The Democratic Peoples Republik of Taxachusetts"!

I don't feel much empathy with regard to the Vineyard ferry cost though. I just made a July reservation for my vehicle + 20' equipment trailer, on the Portland, Me. to Yarmouth, NS. CAT ferry. The round trip fare (Sept return) is $1304.

OUCH !!!

/ Thinking of buying a tilt trailer, advice please #4  
After years of trailers with ramps I bought a PJ 20 foot tilt deck It sure makes life easy. I haula JD 3520 and a JD 35D excavator (not at the same time). Sure makes loading and unloading a breeze. Price was around 4K

/ Thinking of buying a tilt trailer, advice please #5  
What about buying a dump trailer? That what I use to haul my tractor.

/ Thinking of buying a tilt trailer, advice please #6  
I would say that your cheapest option would be to build some ramp extensions so the rate of incline is reduced enough that your backhoe doesn't drag. This could mean just a short 3 foot section that is attached perhaps midway to your existing ramps. I have the same problem with my B26 on my 20 foot trailer but I find that if I can back up to a hill (I have many that work at my home) or back the trailer into a ditch, it doesn't take much elevation to keep the backhoe from dragging which in my case, I can still load it up even on level concrete if just scrapes a bit.
$200-400 is much cheaper than $4000 initial cost + licensing fees, tires etc for maintenance on another trailer.

/ Thinking of buying a tilt trailer, advice please #7  
My PJ has the tilt up ramps... at first I did not care for them but have come to like them.

The ramps are always there and simply swing down and the way they are built they support the trailer end when down.

I do have a couple of single axle tilt trailers and they work real well... with a single axle the pivot it the axle bearings so it could not be simpler.

/ Thinking of buying a tilt trailer, advice please #8  
I would say that your cheapest option would be to build some ramp extensions so the rate of incline is reduced enough that your backhoe doesn't drag. This could mean just a short 3 foot section that is attached perhaps midway to your existing ramps. I have the same problem with my B26 on my 20 foot trailer but I find that if I can back up to a hill (I have many that work at my home) or back the trailer into a ditch, it doesn't take much elevation to keep the backhoe from dragging which in my case, I can still load it up even on level concrete if just scrapes a bit.
$200-400 is much cheaper than $4000 initial cost + licensing fees, tires etc for maintenance on another trailer.

I always have to seek out the right elevation location for loading with my tilt up ramps.
I LIKE YOUR FIX!
I have done something similar with 2 x 12 lumber, on car ramps.
I am going to do exactly as you have suggested, with angle iron extension ramps!
Thank you, for posting your idea!
I will be a copycat!

/ Thinking of buying a tilt trailer, advice please #9  
I'm always using a berm or curb to mitigate angle... fortunately there seems to always be one nearby.

/ Thinking of buying a tilt trailer, advice please #10  
Getting too old to handle the ramps on my deckover, so I was considering a tilt, but there is too much overhang behind the axles for what I haul.

Then I saw a rollback and like the looks of it better: Heavy Equipment Haulers & Trailers for Sale in Texas | Kwik Load Trailers

Sloan-7k-18-12.JPG

trheavy3b-150x150.jpg

trheavy2b-150x150.jpg

trheavy4b-150x150.jpg

Pictures from Google Image Search.

Last edited: