Thinking of planting a garden weed control question

/ Thinking of planting a garden weed control question #1  

RidgeTopWVA

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4400
I am thinking about planting a garden and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a biodegradable cover that could be used as cover to help control the weeds but be able to cut holes in the cover and plant the vegetables so the vegetables can grow.
Any suggestions as to what to look for ?

/ Thinking of planting a garden weed control question #2  
Just use a roll of 6mil Visqueen, (plastic) plant through it and in the fall roll it back up for the next season.

I've used the same plastic for 10 years without problems.

SR

/ Thinking of planting a garden weed control question #3  
newspaper

/ Thinking of planting a garden weed control question #5  
Put it down and spray it with water to keep the wind from blowing it away ?
That should work. Or sprinkle a little soil on it to hold it in place.

/ Thinking of planting a garden weed control question #8  
Take the stash of your wife's Amazon boxes she stacks by the door, and break them down and use those. Should be enough to cover atleast an acre sitting right by the door :)

/ Thinking of planting a garden weed control question #9  
Probably won't help for this year, but I use leaves 4"-5" thick as a mulch. Great for weed suppression, and by next year will be broken down into compost to turn under and build organic matter. Retains moisture, yet sheds heavy rains. Redworms and nightcrawlers will feed on them over the summer providing a constant supply worm castings for a great organic fertilizer.

I bought a near new leaf vac at a consignment auction for $140.00, and use it to gather the neighbors leaves, plus have a neighbor who runs a lawn service who picks up leaves in the Fall. I used to get 8-10, 18' tandem trailer w/6' sides, until his wife saw how well it works, and now she gets the majority of them.

Some small towns used to do leaf pickup, some still do. Some use a hay baler, and some just use a Vacon a dump truck, and dump at their facility, and some will haul to farm fields, or someplace close to get rid of them. Just have to really watch when getting from an intown source for syringes in the leaves.

/ Thinking of planting a garden weed control question #10  
Probably won't help for this year, but I use leaves 4"-5" thick as a mulch. Great for weed suppression, and by next year will be broken down into compost to turn under and build organic matter. Retains moisture, yet sheds heavy rains. Redworms and nightcrawlers will feed on them over the summer providing a constant supply worm castings for a great organic fertilizer.

I bought a near new leaf vac at a consignment auction for $140.00, and use it to gather the neighbors leaves, plus have a neighbor who runs a lawn service who picks up leaves in the Fall. I used to get 8-10, 18' tandem trailer w/6' sides, until his wife saw how well it works, and now she gets the majority of them.

Some small towns used to do leaf pickup, some still do. Some use a hay baler, and some just use a Vacon a dump truck, and dump at their facility, and some will haul to farm fields, or someplace close to get rid of them. Just have to really watch when getting from an intown source for syringes in the leaves.
How do you keep the leaves from blowing away?