Thinking of replacing 2001 GMC Yukon XL

/ Thinking of replacing 2001 GMC Yukon XL #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I have posted quite a bit about this great vehicle. It has 204,000+ on it now. For a year it had a very slow coolant leak (started while we were in New Mexico). Since we are about on go on a 500 mile trip I got it checked out today. Turns out the water pump is leaking at least now - sure didn't look like it was to me a year ago though. During all that time I had added less than a gallon of antifreeze. Also had the check out the wheel bearings and U-joints - they said all looked good. New Bosch waterpump, thermostat, and cooling system flush, plus an oil change more than $600.

Keep wondering when we will get engine, transmission, or A/C problems which are all big $$$ items.

Its only my wife and I, so it seemed like we could drop down in size because a new Suburban/Yukon XL like what we have is $50K or so. So far I have looked at the Honda Pilot and Ford Flex. The Flex is bigger and nicer but the Flex is very low to the ground (not much clearance). These smaller SUVs are basically cars without trunks. Where to you put stuff? The is literall less than a foot of room behind the back seat. Yeah there is room if you lay the back seat(s) down which would be OK most of the time, but there are times when our grandkids travel with us, and I go to high school football games int the fall, take my son son, my grandkids, and my grandkids other grandpa. The back end is full of stadium seats, heavy coats, rain gear etc. These little toy SUVs just won't cut it in this area.

The ones who review cars call any vehicle with a smooth ride "mushy" and the ones the feel like there is no suspension at all you can "feel the road". They call 16-18 MPG in a vehicle that you can carry a baseball team in "poor gas mileage". And they mark it down because you can't park it in a compact space. So....I don't lend any credence to the reviews, but looks like we are probably headed for gthe real deal again - our 3rd Suburban/Yukon XL even if we have to get second hand.

Any out there with late model ones? I wonder if the quality has declined since the 2001 model. For a 4x4 suburban with leather is going to be at least $38K and that is with 30K miles on it. New one probably $50K plus.

/ Thinking of replacing 2001 GMC Yukon XL #2  
We have a 2008. We only have 30k miles on it, but it has been a great vehicle. Good in snow and ice - I avoid mud with it, that is what the truck is for. We can take our 3 kids and still have room for friends and stuff. We recently been doing some goat shows. So I will take the truck and camper and my wife will take the Suburban with the stock trailer loaded with goats and tack. It works great for that. I took a trip to Cleveland Clinic back to see the F-I-L last fall, running 75 MPH, I was getting almost 20 MPGs hand calculated. Only issue we've has is the lock actuators have gone out on the 2 left doors. I guess it is pretty common for the 08 trucks and SUVs to go out. I guess they had a bad group of them. I haven't replaced them yet, but I should. That has been the only issue with it (other than a lightening strike taking out the BCM). Rides like a dream and doesn't scoot too bad for a 6000 lb vehicle. We've got the 1500 4x4 with the 5.3. Still has the 4L60e tranny with 3.73 gears. We lucked out when we bought. We bought it in 2008 right before GM went belly up. It stickered for almost $50k, GM needed cash so bad, that we ended up buying it with 4 miles on it for $28k.

/ Thinking of replacing 2001 GMC Yukon XL #3  
Buy a Honda CRV for everyday driving and keep the ol' Subur-bus for those times you need to haul a gang of relatives. You'll save a bundle over time and won't have to spend nearly the cash you will for another You-conned.;)

/ Thinking of replacing 2001 GMC Yukon XL #4  
I won't buy GM since I have had horrible experiences with their vehicles and how the bankruptcy was handled.

We had a CRV which got decent MPG but we could not remotely go on a trip in that thing so we used my truck. The truck is problematic since it can only carry five people and carrying luggage in the bed is a PITA to keep from getting wet. When the CRV was taken out in an accident, we ended up getting a Toyota Sequoia which can easily carry six people comfortably, or eight for short distances with a decent amount of room for luggage. The reality is when we go on trips, the Sequoia can carry four of us easily but even with the third row seats folded down, space is tight because of the kids. Though, as the kids get older this problem will go away. The third row seats are real handy hauling school teams to games and for us to only have to use one vehicle when going somewhere when visiting family.

We just did a short trip to get the kids back from the grandparents. The three things I noticed on the trip were the large RVs, travel trailers, the number of cars having to use cargo carriers. I don't like roof top cargo carriers since I have seen pieces of them on the road. I was watching one moving around on one car during our trip. That buffeting cannot be good for either the carrier or the structure of the vehicle... I think you could have put a jar with fresh milk in that cargo carrier and at the end of the day you would have made butter.

We bought the Sequoia used, we were shocked at the price of a new one, $50-60K! :shocked::shocked::shocked: The only problem we have had with the Toyota is the rear window wiper. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Seems to be working now. Knock on wood, we have not had any other issue in 4-5 years of ownership and almost 70k miles. We knew the Sequoia would be a gas hog and it is, we get 16 mpg no matter the type of driving. The engine is a V8 and can haul fanny if you put a foot in it. A V6 would have been better for us but that was not an option. We bought the Sequoia because it could haul more than 4-5 people and it has more air bags a hot air balloon festival. We were not supposed to be driving the Sequoia much, just short trips here and there, but life threw us a couple of unplanned changes and we have had to put far more miles on the Toyota than we had planned.

The only issue I have with the Sequoia is the ergonomics. The vehicle seems to have been designed for short people. I can't see the clock when driving because it is recessed into the dash for some reason. A short person can read the clock without having to turn your head in an owl like manner to tell the time. This is not a good thing to do when driving. The other thing that drives me nuts is that the so called engineer put so many controls on the right side of the steering column, tranny gear selector, windshield wipers, cruse control, etc. They have one of these control sticks for the headlights on the left side of the steering column. It would have been better to balance out the controls around the steering column. I think part of the design issue is they put radio control on the steering wheel which I find wasteful of space since I never use these controls. Cruise controls would be a better use of that space and would remove some of the steering column clutter. The light indicating that cruise control is on is also in a place that require the driver to glance down to see the little itty bitty light. The color is also hard to see with headlights on and wearing sunglasses. This is completely unlike my Ford F350. The main issue we have with the Sequoia is the ^&*() head lights being left on. If we leave the lights on, there is no buzzer if you take the key out of the ignition, The wifey likes to run the lights whenever driving and because of the lack of warning buzzer or a %^&*() circuit to turn off the head lights, we have drained the batteries countless times. PITA. This is my major beef with the Sequoia and I would think it is something specific to our vehicle.

The most important issue is that the Sequoia is flat out reliable. I can deal with the crappy ergonomics. To be fair, the wifey does not have an issue with the ergonomics, but the crappy design drives me nuts. I think a group of monkeys could have created a better design. If we had to run out and buy another vehicle to day, it would almost certainly would be another Sequoia. If we were downsizing, we would be looking at one of the smaller Toyota or Ford SUVs. The Ford Explorer and Toyota 4Runner were just too small for our requirements today. The Ford Expedition did not have enough cargo space with three row seats unless we went with the extended version.

I don't get the ride quality comments in car reviews. Over the years with various cars, trucks, and SUVs, I only drove one car that had a bumpy ride and it was a Camaro z28. That z28 was like driving on rails even going fast around a corner though. Loved that car. :laughing::laughing::laughing: That z was the only vehicle that had a ride that could be rough. The rest are just fine. The best riding vehicle I have ever had is my F350. I think the long wheel base helps and the thing is a dream to drive on the highway. PITA to park in tight spaces which I don't have to do often. The CRV had a pretty bad ride as did the old Volvo station wagon we had. That Volvo cornered pretty danged good too. But none of the rides were a so rough to be an issue.

Later,
Dan

/ Thinking of replacing 2001 GMC Yukon XL #5  
I have almost 200,000 miles on my 04, will start liikung around 250,000. Figure I have three mire years.

Will be buying another GM, live what they gave done with the new 2014 trucks.

The small issues I have had have not driven me away from GM. Will also price diesels from GM and Dodge.

/ Thinking of replacing 2001 GMC Yukon XL #6  
I bought a used 2012 Chevy Captiva last December. Great SUV. OK what is a Captiva. In the USA it is a re-badged 2008-10 Saturn Vue. It is only available as a used car because it is only sold at a Commercial vehicle dealer. Here is one not to far from you with AWD. 2012 Chevy Captiva LTZ. They have lots of clearance and do not have the mushy felling like a lot of the other SUV's out there. Also has a larger fuel tank than most of the other SUV's

/ Thinking of replacing 2001 GMC Yukon XL
Heck of a deal on that Capitiva. Seems pretty small though. I'd keep the Yukon and get a small SUV but I am running out of places to park the vehicles. Already have 3 including my 1994 F250 that is parked in my shop building. Right now we are sticking with the old Yukon XL but I will keep studying the alternatives in the meantime. What I do know is I ain't paying $55K for a vehicle.....

/ Thinking of replacing 2001 GMC Yukon XL #8  
Heck of a deal on that Capitiva. Seems pretty small though. I'd keep the Yukon and get a small SUV but I am running out of places to park the vehicles. Already have 3 including my 1994 F250 that is parked in my shop building. Right now we are sticking with the old Yukon XL but I will keep studying the alternatives in the meantime. What I do know is I ain't paying $55K for a vehicle.....

Amen! I thought paying for my F350 in 2002 was too much. I was looking to see what I new truck when cost a year or so ago and about had to go to the hospital! $50-60K for a pick up!

I just hope nobody hits my truck, it has almost 180,000 miles, nothing is wrong with it and I plan on keeping it for many more years. I surely won't be parking it where the creek will rise. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Thinking of replacing 2001 GMC Yukon XL #9  
I know what you mean about buying new. Even used is very high.
Need to meet up with you again. Next time we are in your area will send you a PM.
Good Luck on your vehicle search. Captiva is similar in size to a Ford Escape. 6" shorter than a Chevy Equinox. Otherwise same power train.

/ Thinking of replacing 2001 GMC Yukon XL
I don't mind whatsoever driving the Yukon XL, we are driving to New Orleans in it tomorrow - 9 hour drive. I just worry about something breaking down without warning. Otherwise I can just fix things as they break. Still drives and rides good and the leather interior has worn good. Looks like we would have to get maybe a 2010 model Suburban with 50-60K miles just to get under $40K. Maybe in another year we'll be ready to downsize, but I just hate giving up all that real estate right now.