Thinking of switching from BX to b

/ Thinking of switching from BX to b #1  

redharley

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2230
Thinking of upgrading my bx2230 to b series. Bx has been great , use mostly for lawn mowing. Loader very handy , also use 4 ft bush hog and single bottom plow. Property is 12 acres, 4 woods ,2 lawn, rest field and garden.. just mow field or brush hog it a couple times a year.Lawn is hillside never an issue mowing with bx. Wandering since mowing lawn probably biggest hr on seat time if I would be happy with larger unit for lawn use. Thinking other aspects would be a plus. Anyone own a newer b series ? Thanks Bill

/ Thinking of switching from BX to b #2  
I’m John Thomases red headed step child. I started with a B7500. Traded to a B7510. Then to a BX2660. Then to a B2620. And now, in a BX2670. Some were financial moves. Others, and the final move from my B2620, was because the B does a poor job mowing if you turn a lot in tighter quarters. All of my B’s would leave rings around my trees after a season of mowing because of the geometry of the front ends. The tires lean outward (outside of the turn) when you turn, and the tires cut into the sod. The BX steers “flat”, if that makes sense, so it does not mess with the grass unless it’s really wet or you are in 4WD. So, bottom line, if you have a lawn, not a yard, and you care about what your lawn looks like, you nay reconsider. The only three real reasons to change, disregarding “wants” and need to get a new tractor, are: loader capacity, ground clearance (and no stupid HST fan), and 3pt lift capacity. That’s it in my book, and as you see, I’ve had several of both.

/ Thinking of switching from BX to b
Thanks for the input. I definitely have a yard.would you say bx or b more stable on side hills mowing.

/ Thinking of switching from BX to b #4  
I looked at the BX tractors but started out with a B7500. It was a nice tractor but it could have used more than 21 HP and a better hydraulic oil cooler to run the 60" RFM. There were a couple slopes in the yard where I had to use 4WD. When backing uphill I had to either use the diff lock or raise the RFM to put more weight on the rear tires for traction. Going to the first L series eliminated that. All the 'Botas have had loaded (R4) rear tires.

/ Thinking of switching from BX to b #5  
I have a 1993 B1750HST with Bi-Speed turn and 60" MMM used mostly to mow my lawn. No problem with turf damage whether in FWA or 2WD.

Also have a 2018 B3350 with 72" MMM and R4 tires. Haven't used the MMM much but 3350 does not have Bi-Speed turn (not available) so would expect turf damage turning tightly in FWA.

Both B series tractors have position control and terrain following decks whereas BX series have quarter inching valves and suspended decks. This is a show stopper for me.

SDT

/ Thinking of switching from BX to b #6  
The BX is likely more stable on slopes due to center of gravity. Loaded tires on either help. I assume you are going to a B01 Series, so their decks are suspended,not ground following. Bi-speed steering hasn’t been around for quite some time. Looking into new B-Series tractors will not offer those options. In fact, Kubota does not even show B’s beyond the B01 Series that I could find. Maybe model changes coming?

/ Thinking of switching from BX to b #7  
I’m John Thomases red headed step child. I started with a B7500. Traded to a B7510. Then to a BX2660. Then to a B2620. And now, in a BX2670. Some were financial moves. Others, and the final move from my B2620, was because the B does a poor job mowing if you turn a lot in tighter quarters. All of my B’s would leave rings around my trees after a season of mowing because of the geometry of the front ends. The tires lean outward (outside of the turn) when you turn, and the tires cut into the sod. The BX steers “flat”, if that makes sense, so it does not mess with the grass unless it’s really wet or you are in 4WD. So, bottom line, if you have a lawn, not a yard, and you care about what your lawn looks like, you nay reconsider. The only three real reasons to change, disregarding “wants” and need to get a new tractor, are: loader capacity, ground clearance (and no stupid HST fan), and 3pt lift capacity. That’s it in my book, and as you see, I’ve had several of both.

Thanks for the input. I definitely have a yard.would you say bx or b more stable on side hills mowing.

Stepson has pretty well nailed it. I also have a yard and not a lawn so the bit of yard damage wouldn't bother me. The BX is more stable "feeling" and is probably more stable going sideways across a hill for which I have many. I did start with a BX2200 MMM FEL 17 years ago on converted grass/fescue/weeds field to yard. After one year I traded to a B7800 FEL RFM and a BX1500 MMM for 3 years and then traded to a Grand L3250 FEL and scared me so bad sitting so high on hillside that I got rid of the L in a few months and I believe went to a BX2660 FEL MMM and then a couple years later ended up with a F3080 4wd which is the most stable and great mower and have had an F every since with lots of B, ZDs, Bs L and now MX5400, ZD and F.
ZDs are good for flatter land but the F is the greatest for hillside and on hillside BX beats the Bs and Ls in my experience and opinion. A cheap box store rider could do the Lawn/nice yard and a B for tractor work and flatter yard mowing and field mowing and woods work. Spouse could be mowing arond trees and shrubs while you tractor mowed the rest of it.:D

/ Thinking of switching from BX to b #8  
Stepson has pretty well nailed it. I also have a yard and not a lawn so the bit of yard damage wouldn't bother me. The BX is more stable "feeling" and is probably more stable going sideways across a hill for which I have many. I did start with a BX2200 MMM FEL 17 years ago on converted grass/fescue/weeds field to yard. After one year I traded to a B7800 FEL RFM and a BX1500 MMM for 3 years and then traded to a Grand L3250 FEL and scared me so bad sitting so high on hillside that I got rid of the L in a few months and I believe went to a BX2660 FEL MMM and then a couple years later ended up with a F3080 4wd which is the most stable and great mower and have had an F every since with lots of B, ZDs, Bs L and now MX5400, ZD and F.
ZDs are good for flatter land but the F is the greatest for hillside and on hillside BX beats the Bs and Ls in my experience and opinion. A cheap box store rider could do the Lawn/nice yard and a B for tractor work and flatter yard mowing and field mowing and woods work. Spouse could be mowing arond trees and shrubs while you tractor mowed the rest of it.:D

Agreement on the F series.

Though I've not owned or even operated one, I've long wanted one but cannot justify one for my limited finish mowing needs.

Those things are the mowing cat's meow.

SDT

/ Thinking of switching from BX to b #9  
I have a b and a bx. I was going to sell the bx when I got the b but found the b to be too cumbersome mowing around trees and other landscaping. So I have both now. The bx is much faster for mowing my 2 ac yard and is much more stable due to lower center of gravity. However, that's where the advantages stop. The b is better for everything else including ride comfort. If I were to get rid of one, it would be the bx. I would have sold it by now for a diesel ZTR, but the trade difference is substantial. If I need to mow a big open area, I will select the b because the cut quality is the same and it's more comfortable to run (seat and controls), but in my yard where I have a few dozen trees and landscaping islands, the bx is better. However, a ZTR would be better than the bx. For 3 pt hitch attachments, remember that the bx doesn't have position control. Maybe that doesn't sound important, but it is. Also, the bx has only about 8" of ground clearance, something to think about if you are in the woods. I have run my bx up on a stump and got stuck. Finally, make sure your b implements will fit on a bx. The bx requires its own set of bx sized implements. Good luck with your research.

/ Thinking of switching from BX to b #10  
Turning brakes might be handy for mowing in making turns. Would also be useful on the turning plow. Used them on my 4010 when I did 20 rows on my garden down below. Just popped plow up, hit turning brake and swung around to next row. Would never make it without the turning brakes. For my own property with very uneven terrain and brush, I could never use a tractor with hyd fan below like on the BX.