This day in 1997, of my house build

/ This day in 1997, of my house build #1  

buckeyefarmer

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4 BX23
Thought I would put together a timeline of my 1997 house build.

19970103 - footers were dug and poured
IMG_2517.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG

Last edited:
   / This day in 1997, of my house build #2  
Cool flash back...

This day, 1997, I turned 20 years old... *grin*

/ This day in 1997, of my house build
19970108 wall forms installed
19970115 Basement walls poured.
19970117 Lumber arrived for the first deck.

Excavation and foundation were subbed out.

19970118 installing seal plates on top of walls.
IMG_2986.JPG
IMG_2987.JPG

Last edited:
   / This day in 1997, of my house build #5  
So after 20+ years, how has the poured walls and concrete work held up? Any cracking issues or settling? I've pondered the poured wall method for some of my future projects but various reasons come back to standard footer and lay blocks thinking.

The excavator cracked a wall while backfilling. The walls have 1/2” rebar both ways every 2 ft. I put a crack filler in the crack and it has never been an issue.
No settling at all. The entire basement is one big concrete box.
When I added the garage a few years later I used poured foundation walls for it also.

Last edited:
   / This day in 1997, of my house build #7  
This should be fun!!! Now that it's been over 20 years, what would you do differently?

This should be fun!!! Now that it's been over 20 years, what would you do differently?

I would have kept whole house about a ft higher in elevation, and pushed more dirt up around. Not a big deal. I still got gravity to septic under the footer.
Would have insulated under basement slab.
Would have paid more attention to taping tyvek, I m sure some seams were not taped. Same with windows, I know most of them are not taped.
Would have added more insulation to attic..
cape cod, so some drywall is on bottom of 2x10 roof rafters. Wish that was spray foamed. Had lots of air infiltration at open ends of rafters, between rafters and insulation. I went in later and blocked the ends up to the insulation baffles that let air under roof deck, above the insulation.
I glued and nailed subfloor, wish I had screwed it. Just a time thing. Floors squeak, I want to go back and screw if/ when I replace flooring.
Would have placed house further back on lot.
There’s plenty more, lol. Not much internet back then, I learned a lot since then.

I designed the house. I first designed a much larger one, with 2 story front porch and 3rd level in the attic. I basically cut 1 level off.
Here are 4 elevation views. I planned the garage extension which I started in 2002.

Original design was shed dormer in upstairs back ending 2 ft from each end. I ended up running it all the way to the ends.

IMG_3040.JPGIMG_3041.JPGIMG_3042.JPGIMG_3043.JPG

Original floor plans:

Basement:
IMG_3044.JPG

First floor:
No closet in office, that is part of larger pantry.
Fireplace not built above hearth.
IMG_3045.JPG

2nd floor:
Joist level was left on.
Unfinished space on left was finished as master bedroom. As was master bath.
Hall to right went to window at the end, which later joined to rooms over garage.

IMG_3046.JPG