This was my first rodeo.

/ This was my first rodeo. #11  
My daughters barrel race, so we're at rodeos pretty often. I've already set the rule that they're not allowed to date rough-stock riders. Any one that willingly gets on a bull or bucking bronc, must be short on brains, low on cash or both. My girls agree.

/ This was my first rodeo. #12  
My daughters barrel race, so we're at rodeos pretty often. I've already set the rule that they're not allowed to date rough-stock riders. Any one that willingly gets on a bull or bucking bronc, must be short on brains, low on cash or both. My girls agree.
Your post reminds me of a documentary I watched a few years back; they were interviewing a forensic anthropologist, who had made a study, among other things, of the bones of Neanderthal Man. His comment went something like this: "The Neanderthal exhibits a substantial amount of bone injuries, which resemble the same types of injuries suffered by rodeo riders." This suggests to me that the Neanderthal took a hands-one approach to killing and capturing his game, and suffered for it.
I'm not suggesting that rodeo riders are like Neanderthals, not at all. I admire their bravery and skill.

/ This was my first rodeo. #13  
Your post reminds me of a documentary I watched a few years back; they were interviewing a forensic anthropologist, who had made a study, among other things, of the bones of Neanderthal Man. His comment went something like this: "The Neanderthal exhibits a substantial amount of bone injuries, which resemble the same types of injuries suffered by rodeo riders." This suggests to me that the Neanderthal took a hands-one approach to killing and capturing his game, and suffered for it.
I'm not suggesting that rodeo riders are like Neanderthals, not at all. I admire their bravery and skill.
Makes you wonder if a Neanderthal got on a bull, how long they'd last.

/ This was my first rodeo. #14  
My first rodeo (as a spectator never been a participant it too rough for me) from memory was the Mesquite Rodeo south of Dallas.

Great experience and enjoyed each of the events but my favorite was "Cowboy Poker". Once they let the bull(s) in the arena the Cowboys were looking over their shoulders too much to pay attention to the cards in their hands. The winner was the last one still seated at the card table.

/ This was my first rodeo. #15  
I love the mutton busting at our county fair!

There's also a couple of new events that the girls can compete in, besides the typical barrel racing. One is breakaway roping, where they chase down a calf and rope the head, then let it just pull away (no wrestling it down and tying it).

The other is goat tying. They have a goat tethered at the far end of the arena. You race in on horseback, jump off and run up and flip the goat and tie it's legs.

/ This was my first rodeo.
They had some team roping, where a younger kid with rope with an adult, one ropes the head and the other catches a leg.

/ This was my first rodeo. #17  
I grew up in a town where they had a big rodeo every summer - Omak Stampede. Omak, WA. I never was a fan of rodeos. I'll just leave it at that.

/ This was my first rodeo. #20  
I've never been to a rodeo. It's kind of low on my bucket list. I would like to go just because it's something I've never done, but then there is the issue of taking a day off from doing what I want to do on my land or not getting anything done for a whole day to watch somebody ride a bull or a horse.