Thoughts about 2005 Kubota RTV900

/ Thoughts about 2005 Kubota RTV900 #1  

bcs001

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 Branson 3620H
I have started shopping for a UTV to be used strictly as a work horse around a 35 acre property in the N. Ga mountains. I already have a tractor for the heavy duty work so this is mainly for light hauling and getting around for maintenance. It will need decent off road capability since much of the property is accessible only by trails I'm cutting thru the woods and over a hill.

Ive found an '05 Kubota RTV900 anniversary edition with less that 1000 hours on it but asking price is kind of high at $11K. I know prices are way up right now and I'll need to take that into consideration but still seems like it may be over priced. I do like the idea of a diesel motor for my application but was looking for opinions as to if this would be the right model and if it was anywhere close to a fair price.

I'm capable of most any repairs that will be needed but a 17 year old UTV even with low hours may be a risk but I dont have much experience with these machines. Any thoughts to share or experience with this model? What should I be inspection for if I decide to go check it out and work out a deal.

/ Thoughts about 2005 Kubota RTV900 #2  
I had a 2006 RTV900 with <500 hours with many extras and traded it in on my Bobcat in 2018. They gave me about $9500. They said it sold before it was off the truck. Look to see if it has been cobbled up or tinkered with. The adjustments on the engine/trans can get complicated. Also, look for loose rear center axle nuts at the rear wheel. When they get loose the splines wear out. Look at the rear u-joints to see if they are getting worn. The driveshaft going to the front axle on the early models would rattle while idling. I never had an issue with mine and it was 100% stock.

/ Thoughts about 2005 Kubota RTV900 #3  
I have started shopping for a UTV to be used strictly as a work horse around a 35 acre property in the N. Ga mountains. I already have a tractor for the heavy duty work so this is mainly for light hauling and getting around for maintenance. It will need decent off road capability since much of the property is accessible only by trails I'm cutting thru the woods and over a hill.

Ive found an '05 Kubota RTV900 anniversary edition with less that 1000 hours on it but asking price is kind of high at $11K. I know prices are way up right now and I'll need to take that into consideration but still seems like it may be over priced. I do like the idea of a diesel motor for my application but was looking for opinions as to if this would be the right model and if it was anywhere close to a fair price.

I'm capable of most any repairs that will be needed but a 17 year old UTV even with low hours may be a risk but I dont have much experience with these machines. Any thoughts to share or experience with this model? What should I be inspection for if I decide to go check it out and work out a deal.
I sold my 2006 RTV 900 with 1100 hours last winter for $12,000 with snowplow..

Attachments

• tempImagemvRb2x.jpg
    tempImagemvRb2x.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 312

/ Thoughts about 2005 Kubota RTV900 #4  
I bought my RTV 900 new in 2004, shifting has always been an issue, I’ve learned to live with it. I think I paid around $12k, other than difficulty shifting I’ve only had it back to the dealer for a rattle which may have been the front drive shaft, fixed under warranty. I just recently replaced the alternator.
I added a winch shortly after purchase, it’s heavy and I got it stuck crossing a wet area where my pond over flows.
Speed tops out about 20-25mph which is fine for me, I have a four wheeler if I want to get somewhere quickly.
I use it for work and getting around on 50 acres. I’m happy with it, only thing I would like to add would be a cab for winter snow plowing. I am surprised by the prices being quoted for used ones like mine.

Mike

/ Thoughts about 2005 Kubota RTV900 #5  
My 07 has been bullet proof no issues.1000hrs. There is a learning curve with the shifter just think step on brake pedal every time and stop before. I would purchase another.