Three day challenge

/ Three day challenge #101  
Again, I'll say that if someone eats only junk food, while it may look like they're killing themselves, it's not suicide unless death is the intention.

So while they may in fact be slowly killing themselves through poor nutrition, it cannot be called suicide without the intent.

While it all sounds like semantics, it's not.

A call of self induced negligent homicide might be more accurate.

/ Three day challenge #102  
He doesn't control his brother. I have a brother whose drinking has caused him many legal, financial and health problems over the years not to mention the heartache for the family. He has attended state mandated alcohol and anger management courses. He continues to drink despite these interventions and our pleas. The bottom line is that, his brother and mine, are responsible for their behaviors.
Thank you. You do understand.

/ Three day challenge #103  
But the doctors have convinced the family that without alcohol he would die of DT. So to the family alcohol is the medicine that is keeping him alive. I think the family needs a doctor that will stop the alcohol and give assistance while he is going through DTs. Take the risk, for a better quality of life, death is eminent anyway.
" the family needs a doctor that will stop the alcohol"
Can you locate that doctor for me?
There is no such doctor. While Moon Pies do not equal alcohol, a diet of nothing BUT Moon Pies will kill you.
I appreciate all replies, but there isn't any easy answer, believe me. It's easy to say cut off the alcohol supply and problem is solved which isn't true for ten reasons.

/ Three day challenge #104  
Gene that law may vary from state to state. Our state, and my information is from physicians, paramedics, ER drs., police, etc.,to repeat...he cannot be taken from his home by force. He has committed no crime.
In our state it's not illegal for someone of age to drink as much as the wish in their own home.
I can't imagine living where any "authority" has the right to enter my home telling me when I've had enough.
The only way he could be taken by force is someone (wife, family member) would have to lie to authorities saying he was threatening them or himself (via suicide).
That was actually one of my plans suggested by a police officer. (Police officers aren't attorneys either). The downside of that is twofold: 1) he can only be held for evaluation only for a finite amount of time.
2) I risk getting in trouble committing perjury.

Al-anon...we've known since childhood about alcoholism. It would serve me no purpose.
Years ago before retirement I discovered our area AA center was across street from work.
I walked over, got literature and had talks with former alcoholics, the counselors.

Fuddy, it's not a matter of The Man laying down the law. Maybe I understood your post wrong, but per it I was under the impression your brother was fairly out of it, and the emt stated he required medical attention. So that's duty to act, because the patient is in no condition to make a rational decision.

/ Three day challenge #106  
Q: Why do Al-Anon members have sex with their eyes closed?

A: Because they can't stand to see an alcoholic having a good time.

/ Three day challenge #107  
But the doctors have convinced the family that without alcohol he would die of DT. So to the family alcohol is the medicine that is keeping him alive. I think the family needs a doctor that will stop the alcohol and give assistance while he is going through DTs. Take the risk, for a better quality of life, death is eminent anyway.

If he's bad enough, the DT's could kill him. Convulsions, heart attacks, high fever are some of the symptoms that can occur in some cases. The doctor was probably suggesting a way to wean him rather than cold turkey, which could kill him. The family probably can't get him to stay in the hospital long enough to get treated properly. DT's come on about 3 days after quitting. 1 day after quitting, he's sober enough to refuse treatment. So there you have it.

Delirium tremens - Wikipedia

/ Three day challenge #108  
If he's bad enough, the DT's could kill him. Convulsions, heart attacks, high fever are some of the symptoms that can occur in some cases. The doctor was probably suggesting a way to wean him rather than cold turkey, which could kill him. The family probably can't get him to stay in the hospital long enough to get treated properly. DT's come on about 3 days after quitting. 1 day after quitting, he's sober enough to refuse treatment. So there you have it.

Delirium tremens - Wikipedia

That is what makes sense to me. I can't believe that the "doctor's orders" are to provide an invalid alcoholic with alcohol indefinitely.

The situation reminds me of the TLC TV shows with a morbidly obese bed-ridden person who is still eating a crap ton of food per day. Yes, he's responsible for his eating habits, but if he's physically incapable of getting his own food, then there are additional problems involved.