Throttle won't stay open

/ Throttle won't stay open #1  

Beemanfarmboy

Tractor
Ford 841 w/p steering
bought a Ford 841 for my son and I to have some fun with. We're tackling a problem with the throttle now. Throttling up we have to hold it open or it springs back to idle. Linkage up front seems ok but at rear there is a tab that the forward rod attaches to that points to the rear that has a hole in it, it look like it at one time either had a spring attached or maybe a thinner rod . There is also a metal tab attached with a loop bent in it behind and under the air filter that looks like it may have had a rod or spring or both that is at the same elevation as the tab with the hole in it. I'm finding the fellow I bought it from , who was the original owner did a fair amount of Jerry rigging to it, so there's stuff not there anymore. Can anyone help? View attachment 712446

/ Throttle won't stay open #2  
Under the battery box os a pivot point, there should be a fiction disc under that. You may need to replace it or might get lucky and just tighten it up a bit.

Attachments

• Linkage.jpg
    Linkage.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 96
   / Throttle won't stay open #3  
...of Jerry rigging to it...
Jerry rigging. Interesting. Where does the "jerry" come from? I had always heard 'jury rigging' - you know, like tampering with it to make it not original or act in some particular manner beneficial to you. Seriously, do you know where 'jerry' comes from?

/ Throttle won't stay open
Under the battery box os a pivot point, there should be a fiction disc under that. You may need to replace it or might get lucky and just tighten it up a bit.
Ok, I see it thanks. It actually looks upside down from that picture so maybe its been installed wrong on my tractor.

Jerry rigging. Interesting. Where does the "jerry" come from? I had always heard 'jury rigging' - you know, like tampering with it to make it not original or act in some particular manner beneficial to you. Seriously, do you know where 'jerry' comes from?
English/British/Australian and American term for German military during ww1 ww2. Example; jerry came through our lines during the night and sabotaged the tracks on the Sherman tanks. " ie" jerry-rigged.

/ Throttle won't stay open #6  
John0829 is right, friction disc adjusted by lock nut.

/ Throttle won't stay open #7  
My understanding has always been that. Here in England, a jerry can be, first a large pot that was kept under the bed, so if you `had to go in the night`, it was `handy`. This is when the `loo` was down the bottom of the garden, and the `posh` name for jerry was `a chamber pot`, Now secondly `A Jerry` was a German. During `the wars`, German prisoners of war that `behaved` themselves`, were put to work in non essential jobs. [My grandad had one full time on his farm and he had his own little place in the barn, for changing and stopping on wet days. Nan made sure he got a good meal and every night they collected him, arms full of fresh food, and took him to a small prison camp. ] Anyway, not all prisoners were as co-operative, and were known to say build a house or shed with bits missing or it had walls that were a long way from true. Hence `JERRY BUILT`

My understanding has always been that. Here in England, a jerry can be, first a large pot that was kept under the bed, so if you `had to go in the night`, it was `handy`. This is when the `loo` was down the bottom of the garden, and the `posh` name for jerry was `a chamber pot`, Now secondly `A Jerry` was a German. During `the wars`, German prisoners of war that `behaved` themselves`, were put to work in non essential jobs. [My grandad had one full time on his farm and he had his own little place in the barn, for changing and stopping on wet days. Nan made sure he got a good meal and every night they collected him, arms full of fresh food, and took him to a small prison camp. ] Anyway, not all prisoners were as co-operative, and were known to say build a house or shed with bits missing or it had walls that were a long way from true. Hence `JERRY BUILT`
I had no idea that German pows were allowed to do chores like that. My family members that fought in the European theater never mentioned anything like that. Very interesting.