tie rod ends modifications

/ tie rod ends modifications #1  

jonsstihl

Veteran Member
Hi guys,
Just found out my LH tie rod end has some slack in it. I know someone had a thread about adding a zerk to the tie rod end and I believe it was on a kubota grand L series but I just spent 45 minutes trying all kinds of search terms but I am getting nowhere fast. the search seems to find each term seperately so I am getting all sorts of threads with the word end in it. tried searching for tie+rod+end but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

interested in how to take it apart for the drilling and tapping operation.

good news is the wheel bearings seem good and no leaks. coming up on the 800Hrs front axle lube change. Think I"m going to stick with SUDT2.

/ tie rod ends modifications #2  
Drilling and tapping for a grease fitting is the proper way. The OEMs joints seemed to have very little grease if any grease.

On mine I use a grease surgical needle to puncture the boots to add grease. The boots are heavy rubber and have shown no ill effects. Takes about two to three pumps to fill and lasts a long time.

/ tie rod ends modifications
just spent another 30 minutes searching: grease, nipple, and fitting but still nothing

/ tie rod ends modifications #4  
On mine I use a grease surgical needle to puncture the boots to add grease
Did that on my Nissan frontier, no problems at all. Only thing I made sure of was that I used a white paint marker to mark where the hole was so I wouldn't have to keep making a new on.
Worst thing auto makers did was remove the grease fittings..........Mike

/ tie rod ends modifications #5  
Doesn’t seem that long ago where a fellow had to replace his tie rod joints because of lack of lubrication. Detailing how he took new ($$$) ones and added zerk fittings. I couldn’t find the topic either. That’s what prompted me to inject my tie rod joints.

/ tie rod ends modifications #6  
Wouldn't it be nice if there was an equivalent auto/truck part for $35? Might not be easy to find, but ...

Thanks for the link, for a second there I though you had found the link on TBN. I am positive it was on this forum and I'm pretty sure it was a kubota tractor. anyone have any other names you call these so I can try different search terms.

/ tie rod ends modifications #9  
This may not help, but is about a a Grand L and tie rod ends. Tie-Rods: Poor Quality
Also there is some reference to the plastic cushion in the joint. Maybe it is supposed to last without grease. A lot like new cars - have no grease zerks on tie rod ends.

that's exactly the thread I was looking for I guess I should have tried end(s) plural and I may have found it myself. thank you very much.