Tiller - Slip Clutch

/ Tiller - Slip Clutch #1  

Glenn67

Tractor
Mahindra 1815 HST
Good morning all,

I purchased a Mahindra 1815 HST from a friend a while back and have a question.

It came with a 50" rototiller and when I use the tiller it continually pops the clutch,
I have read that you need to run a slip clutch when using these implements, does
anybody know if this might help my situation?

Thank you for your suggestions.
Glenn

/ Tiller - Slip Clutch #2  
Did you mean to say it has a shear bolt and keeps breaking it?

I think most tillers will use a slip clutch driveshaft. It is equally important to make sure it will slip to protect the tractor.

I just loosened the bolts on mine and slipped it then adjusted them back. I am going to draw a line on it with a grease marker to make sure it will slip.

When I got my tiller the slip clutch was tightened all the way down and rusted together. I had to remove the bolts and tap it apart with a hammer.

/ Tiller - Slip Clutch #3  
A slip clutch need to be spun regularly. I spin mine yearly on my slip clutch equipped implements. I use a Torque wrench to reset them by locking the driveline with a suitable bar and setting the breakaway torque to 200 foot pounds. Your breakaway torque value should be listed in the manual that came with the tiller.

If it's breaking a shear bolt, the breakaway torque is set too high. It should slip before the shear bolt breaks (if you have one).

/ Tiller - Slip Clutch #4  
Its my observation from many yrs operating/repairing farm equipment that slip clutch maintenance is one of the most overlooked component on equipment servicing.

/ Tiller - Slip Clutch #5  
Its my observation from many yrs operating/repairing farm equipment that slip clutch maintenance is one of the most overlooked component on equipment servicing.
That and starting batteries and their (often corroded) connections.