Tilt cylinder on Top and Tilt leaking down with use

/ Tilt cylinder on Top and Tilt leaking down with use #1  

friendlywithbears

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, KX057-5
Hey folks,

I've got a Kubota L6060 with only about 50 hours on it, and finding that my tilt cylinder is leaking down during use such that I need to adjust my tilt cylinder every 5-10 minutes. I realize it's a relatively small cylinder holding some beefy weight, so I'm wondering if this is expected behavior or if I need to investigate either the cylinder having an issue or maybe something with the rear remote valves.

I'm a relative newbie with this stuff so any help would be appreciated. I put so much effort into leveling and still end up with fields with regular gouge marks at 6 foot intervals :p

Thanks so much,
B.

/ Tilt cylinder on Top and Tilt leaking down with use #2  
Hey folks,

I've got a Kubota L6060 with only about 50 hours on it, and finding that my tilt cylinder is leaking down during use such that I need to adjust my tilt cylinder every 5-10 minutes. I realize it's a relatively small cylinder holding some beefy weight, so I'm wondering if this is expected behavior or if I need to investigate either the cylinder having an issue or maybe something with the rear remote valves.

I'm a relative newbie with this stuff so any help would be appreciated. I put so much effort into leveling and still end up with fields with regular gouge marks at 6 foot intervals :p

Thanks so much,
B.

If a hydraulic cylinder is leaking down and there are no external leaks on the cylinder or the lines then it is usually a spool/control valve issue.

I hope this helps!!

/ Tilt cylinder on Top and Tilt leaking down with use #4  
Do your T&T cylinders have pilot locks?

Those are the square boxes on the cylinders below (where the lines attach to the cylinders). The cylinders stay locked in place until pressure is applied by the valve.

On such a new tractor, I'd run the cylinders through their complete movement in case there's an air pocket in them.

Top and Tilt.jpg

/ Tilt cylinder on Top and Tilt leaking down with use
Look at this link, do the tests and you will know for sure.

As usual, Brian to the rescue. I'm on it and will report back! Based on the four options at the end, is the implication that some control valves just leak beyond expectation and we have to work around it?

Do your T&T cylinders have pilot locks?

Those are the square boxes on the cylinders below (where the lines attach to the cylinders). The cylinders stay locked in place until pressure is applied by the valve.

On such a new tractor, I'd run the cylinders through their complete movement in case there's an air pocket in them.

View attachment 755465
That sounds pretty slick, unfortunately the lines plumb directly into the cylinders.

/ Tilt cylinder on Top and Tilt leaking down with use #7  
It's only "slick" if you do not have or use the float feature with your T&T cylinders.
Most people that make use of the float feature with their T&T cylinders would not be without it, so there are other work arounds.
For those people that do not have or make use of the float feature, it is indeed "slick". :cool:

/ Tilt cylinder on Top and Tilt leaking down with use #8  
On the simple side...you might check if there is any looseness in the valve spool lever...if the nut on the bottom of the spool is loose the return to center spring may not be keeping the spool closed entirely...

It's only "slick" if you do not have or use the float feature with your T&T cylinders.
Most people that make use of the float feature with their T&T cylinders would not be without it, so there are other work arounds.
For those people that do not have or make use of the float feature, it is indeed "slick". :cool:
I had that realization, so unfortunately not for me!

Look at this link, do the tests and you will know for sure.
Results:

With everything disconnected from the tractor, there was no movement on either the top or tilt cylinder over the course of an hour.

Hooked up to the tractor:

Top moved from 7.5" to 8" exposed (.5")
Tilt moved from 4.25" to 4.5" exposed (.25")

I saw a lot more dramatic movement on the tilt during mowing in the past, so curious what this tells me and whether it's considered "in spec" and I just need to pay more attention and keep things leveled as I go.

I do also have some pretty bumpy terrain so I'm wondering if the mower bumping around could also overpower the cylinder during mowing?

B.