Time For a Brake Job

/ Time For a Brake Job #1  

sld

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1210 / Ford 1710
Time to do the front brakes on my 2007 Superduty and I have a question. In 9 or maybe even 10 of the last brake jobs I have done, in the family or for friends, I have bought new rotors. They are usually cheap and it makes the job go faster.

New rotors for my truck are about $100.00 and I was thinking I might just get them resurfaced. There is only 52k on the truck but I noticed when pulling the boat they have degraded some.

New rotors are double ground - both sides are cut at the same time. This ensures that the sides are parallel. When getting them turned, like at O'reillys, they only cut one side at a time. And this is usually by a kid that may or may not be very experienced.

Am I overthinking it? They will turn them for about 15 bucks apiece. I am assuming they will still have the required thickness after turning due to the low miles.

Any input would be appreciated.

/ Time For a Brake Job #2  
I wouldn't let just anyone turn mine.

I take them to a Mom n Pop shop that mostly does tires, brakes and exhaust. The same guy always turns the rotors. If he deems they're too far gone he won't touch 'em, no discussion.

Are you sure they even need turned?

/ Time For a Brake Job #3  
I just did my 2007, 3500 GMC the brakes were not worn out, the rotors were rusted badly.
If you look up the specs for grinding it is very minimal. I bought a set of rotors, drilled and slotted, and ceramic pads from Rock auto,for $420. Power stop was the company. I reused the front calipers, the rears I bought.

/ Time For a Brake Job #4  
Unless you have an old set from this truck to have turned, you might consider buying a new set this time. Then find someone who trues them the way you want, and have the old ones turned and ready for the next brake job. I hate not having them ready once I get started too.

/ Time For a Brake Job #5  
I do about a dozen brake jobs a year and I get 90% of the stuff I use off the net. My favorite is Brake Motive out of Chicago. I usually have the stuff in hand in 24 hour's.

Chris

/ Time For a Brake Job #6  
I just did my 2007, 3500 GMC the brakes were not worn out, the rotors were rusted badly.
If you look up the specs for grinding it is very minimal. I bought a set of rotors, drilled and slotted, and ceramic pads from Rock auto,for $420. Power stop was the company. I reused the front calipers, the rears I bought.

Rust seems to eat the rotors if you are in a state that uses salt/chemicals in the winter. I helped a buddy change his rotors last week because his truck sounded like a B-26 bomber flying over at 100 feet. The inside of the rotor was completely missing and the piston was out so far that it was cocked to the side.

Attachments

• image-3287336548.jpg
    image-3287336548.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 228
   / Time For a Brake Job #7  
That's the worst I have ever seen. Looks like he should have realized he had sticking calipers way beforehand.

Chris

/ Time For a Brake Job #8  
That's the worst I have ever seen. Looks like he should have realized he had sticking calipers way beforehand.

Chris

The brakes had only been making noise for a few days and I think the inside of the rotor shattered and fell off while he was driving. The piston cocked sideways because it was almost all the way out and what was left of the pad (steel backer plate) wasn't grinding on the rotor vanes parallel.

/ Time For a Brake Job #9  
Years ago they would make rotors with lots of extra thickness so the could be turned. Over the last couple of decades it seams like they are now disposable. I wouldn't be surprised to find that you can't have the rotors turned because they aren't thick enough. I'm not sure if it was a place that mfgs could save some weight, productions techniques improved, or it was just to save a few bucks.

/ Time For a Brake Job #10  
Crazyal, that's been my experience on the last two brake jobs. Most shops, perhaps all, don't turn brake rotors any longer. They're disposable. And also to my surprise, some come with the bearings, race, etc. already installed. It's a throw-away world anymore.

Hat's off to sld for not joining the wasteful practice of replace rather than repair.