Time for a new portable generator

/ Time for a new portable generator #31  

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
I have no doubt Honda is king.
However, I have a troy built with a Briggs 6500/5000.
I have had it for years, keep up the maintenance, and use the fuel, shut-off valve to stop it when I am done with it.
I let it set for months and it always starts before I can count to 2.

I almost bought the HF inverter 9000/7000 that just came out but I am not sure I really need it for just emergencies. Frankly, 7000 watts didn't impress me either for the cost with my needs.

The Westinghouse 12500/9500 has a hertz meter built-in and I have a hertz plug-in meter to verify it at the house plug. I am not an electrician but I am not convinced I need to pay the additional cost to run TV and laptop for 20-40 hours / year. I may be wrong but somehow have managed all these years with just a genny. Someone prove me wrong: I would like to hear why.
The whole inverter thing is over emphasized.

I have an old military MEP 803A diesel that will run at 10KW plus continuous.
lol! You must have posted as I was typing. MEP’s are great! I believe they are converted to LPG by simply buying a forklift conversion kit.
edit: for the gas engines

/ Time for a new portable generator #32  

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30

Attachments

• 3CCDF92E-668F-40AB-B2D2-5A50F4DDF78A.jpeg
    3CCDF92E-668F-40AB-B2D2-5A50F4DDF78A.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 38
   / Time for a new portable generator #33  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
I've been tempted, any wet stacking problems? It's been my experience with the 10k's if not loaded...
No wet stacking. I built a load bank using four 5400W dryer elements. I connected two in series to half the load. I run it under a 40A load for an hour every month. It is divided up in three circuits so I can apply the load in increments.
IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

During the two 5 day straight runs I used it it never started smoking or anything. We did turn on the stove breaker and bake cookies a couple of times just to load it when we didn't need AC running. Both of the hurricane outage we had the weather was mild so we didn't need AC. I would also run the hot water heater for an hour each morning so that would give it a good daily load.

All that said I probably would not consider a MEP now. They became so popular that they are selling within a few thousand of a brand new Perkins from Hardy. I bought mine before people started buying them up and shipping them to Puerto Rico. I was all in, hooked to the house with an interlock, and load bank built for $2000.

/ Time for a new portable generator #34  

kenmbz

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720/Simplicity Regents/Echo CS-490/CS-620
I have a Champion 9000 Starting Watts-gas- about 15 years old.
Use it 2-5 times per year with ethanol High test and Stabil
Runs for days on end, not fuel efficient, but works.
I use the electric start and run carb dry after each use.
Change oil and it keeps going.

/ Time for a new portable generator #35  

nyone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 851
If your going to spend honda money and own a diesel tractor I would seriously look at what kubota, cummins and yanmar offer for a 1800rpm diesel generator.

/ Time for a new portable generator #36  

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
If your going to spend honda money and own a diesel tractor I would seriously look at what kubota, cummins and yanmar offer for a 1800rpm diesel generator.
Kubota has the Loboy series. They are a bit pricey. They seem to be popular as a backup on Mobil solar setups around here in the desert.

/ Time for a new portable generator
OP
T

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
Ok so new question.... is the need for a inverter type hype as some have posited in this thread? I want to run the router for internet and the tv. Since we live in an area prone to tornados keeping up on those issues is important. I do have a place I can keep the generator out of the weather and still running and hooked up to the house.

/ Time for a new portable generator #40  

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
Ok so new question.... is the need for a inverter type hype as some have posited in this thread? I want to run the router for internet and the tv. Since we live in an area prone to tornados keeping up on those issues is important. I do have a place I can keep the generator out of the weather and still running and hooked up to the house.
If you plan to run electronic devices, and are going to buy a NEW generator, you definitely should buy an inverter style generator.