Time to convert from small engine to battery tools?

/ Time to convert from small engine to battery tools? #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I have a handheld leaf blower, string trimmer, small rototiller, and a hedger. All small gas engine Stihl products. My wife doesn't mind doing some tilling or hedging but she can't start any of the engines. I have already pretty much converted all of my handheld power tools to Dewalt 20v system and find I rarely use my corded small tools anymore, so...

Is it time to make the expensive plunge into a battery line up of a blower, hedger, string trimmer, chain saw, pole pruner, etc.? I suppose I could sell off my gassers to ease the pain. And then no more mixing gas except for my outboard motor! Looking at Stihl's AP series tools. Love to hear comments that have Stihl AP tools!

/ Time to convert from small engine to battery tools? #2  
I have a stihl chain saw, weed eater and pole saw in AP.
All work well. My shoulder needs to be replaced and I just had too much trouble starting my gas stuff.
Got a couple other brands of battery equipment for different reasons also.
Tried a couple that are gone now also.
Stihl is expensive but solid

/ Time to convert from small engine to battery tools?
Professor, which chainsaw do you have, the 160 or the 200?

/ Time to convert from small engine to battery tools? #4  
200 14"

/ Time to convert from small engine to battery tools? #5  
use my chain saws a lot (got a tiny makita as well for one handed cutting)
the pole saw and the weedeater not so much. They work well but what they do is not what I do a lot. Got the pole saw (the extendable one) to reach some branches i could NOT reach. Bought the weedeater to put a saw blade on it. They both work great but my time is mostly spent cleaning up dead tree mess in my yard. everything from 2inches to about 16 inches. The trees come down faster than i can keep up.
It is just so nice to just pull the trigger and cut instead of starting or trying to start the gas stuff. I used to use the gas stuff a lot but dont use it enough any more to keep it running easily.

/ Time to convert from small engine to battery tools?
Your string trimmer... which one do you have?

I see there is a 130 now. Same 'size' as my FS-130 gasser. Thinking I should go this one so I don't feel underpowered. I have to cut a lot of long grass on a steep slope that is not mowable.

/ Time to convert from small engine to battery tools? #7  
I have eliminated all my engine and corded outdoor small equipment. Pressure washer only gasser left. I have never found a battery pressure washer and corded ones have never lasted more than one season. Our EGO mower and blower are getting ready for their 4th year. I had two chargers but the wife left one in the rain and it gave up. 3 Ryobi weed eaters are also going on 4 years. Originally they had a problem with their 40V batteries. Wound up getting 3 new chargers and 4 batteries free and now on their second year.

Ron

/ Time to convert from small engine to battery tools? #8  
I have an Oregon 40V chainsaw, weedeater, and blower. The wife can run all three, she could never get the gas versions to start.

/ Time to convert from small engine to battery tools? #9  
Battery improvements are changing many things. The need for starting ropes.power cords, air hoses and gas storage comes to mind.

/ Time to convert from small engine to battery tools? #10  
I use Milwaukee battery tools, but would consider Stihl as well. I have a weed eater, blower, hedge trimmer, chainsaw. The only gas tool I have left is my Stihl chainsaws because I cant get over a 16” bar for the battery ones yet! Seriously though I will keep the gas chainsaws...on my property they are still a necessity.