Time to Play a Game- Name this CASE

/ Time to Play a Game- Name this CASE #1  

jmbush

Tractor
case 31 hoe
Please view the pics and offer up an opinion. This machine has factory tags on the loader and control tower of the backhoe that both show Model# 31.
However I cannot find a tag for the tractor. Its a 4 cyl gasser with shuttle shift 4 speed. Large weights under front and front wheels. I"m leaning towards it being a 310. Specifically trying to find out:

model and year
12 or 6 volt positive or negative ground
no plug wires so need routing help.

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Photo10231248.jpg

Photo10281412.jpg

Photo10231249.jpg

/ Time to Play a Game- Name this CASE #2  
It looks a 310B I had. ID plate should be on the right cowling cover, behind the loader control valves. No big surprise if it's not there, most seem to disappear for some reason.

If it is indeed a 310B, if I'm seeing correctly, it is a later model of the series because of what appears to be 8 lug rear wheels. The early series like mine had 6 lugs.

I do believe they were 6V from the factory, but mine had been converted to 12V neg ground. A buddy of mine who runs a starter/alt. shop fixed me up with a single wire alternator, but you will need to put a resistor inline to the ignition. TSC has them for like $7-$8.

Probably the best way to narrow down to exactly what you have, is to find part on the engine, and castings. If it's a 310, it should have the 148 cu. in. engine. Great little engines..!! If properly tuned, and is getting fuel, they will run.

As far as the plug wire routing, probably best to remove #1 plug, and get it coming up on compression, and get it to TDC. You should remove the dist cap, and note rotation before hand, just bumping the starter. Once you get #1 position located, follow the firing sequence which should be cast in the block. IIRC, it's 1-3-4-2. Take note they used 2 different distributors on the 310's. Autolite & Prestolite, and I do know the dist caps are NOT interchangeable.

More than likely, the brakes will be like steeping on a plum, and not much stopping action, due to seals leaking on the bull pinion shaft. Just the nature of the beast's. If & when you get to that stage, let me know, I can give you some pointers on that. PM me if necessary, if I happen to lose track of this thread.

Here is a link to the Case/IH Ag. parts online parts store. Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts I've already selected the 310 series, and you can do some part number searching from the engine block, etc. to determine exactly what you have.

/ Time to Play a Game- Name this CASE
Thanks DJ that was fast. I should be able to do a lot with this info. I have a casting number from the block but didnt put it in the original post because we were not sure of a couple of the characters. Here is what we think it is: descending from top 3451011061 does this look like an engine serial number, I've seen in other threads people say a 310's eng num should have letter in it. What do you make of it?

/ Time to Play a Game- Name this CASE #4  
The block casting number should start with a "G", followed by 5 numbers. sold it, so just going from memory here. After doing some checking online, take a close look behind the oil filter for the block casting number. Got to love whoever designs/ed this stuff, hiding numbers you need...

Checking chassis numbers may not help too much, as lots of parts were used on more than several numbers. There were several different front end assy's used on these models, as it was based on an agricultural chassis, used for more than several purposes, such as mounting the backhoe & loader. The good news about this is, if you're looking for used parts, there are more tractors to look for in salvage. The only thing I bought used for parts was an extra shuttle shift, shifter. Just don't haunch on it too hard when changing directions. Make sure you are completely stopped before shifting, and it will shift slick as a button. There is only, like a 1/8" roll pin holding the shifting fork,and it will shear. Mine was when I bought it. The fork was worn, so I drilled it out the next size, and double roll pinned it. Seeing it may be a problem, I bought an extra complete shift tower on ebay, for less than $35.00. Also bought one specific gasket through Case/IH that would have been a little hairy to tap out, but can't remember which one now. But Case/IH still carries many parts for the tractor chassis. Case Construction is a little iffy on the older cylinder parts. So you may be better off to find a good hydraulic shop. I am very fortunate to have a good one fairly close.

As far as the loader & hoe, you need to go to Case Construction: CASE Construction Equipment | Heavy Equipment | Case Construction to search for parts for them. Select "parts" in the menu at the top, then on the next page that appears, select search by model. On the next page that appears, type in the model, such as 31 for the hoe.

/ Time to Play a Game- Name this CASE #5  
From the photos it looks like my old case W3. Mine was a 1961.

Kirk

/ Time to Play a Game- Name this CASE #6  
I believe finding the engine size will be the key here, via the block casting number. The W3's were comparable to the 530's, which had the G159 engine, while the 300 series had the G148. Many of the rest of the drive train components were used on, and interchangeable with each other.

Part numbers, and Google searches were my biggest help.

Thanks Kirk for that info, after searching for pics of W3's and I found two, things are starting to make sense. My machine has a grill with round holes and the instrument panel is similar to a 310 but has room for guages to the right and left, both similar to the w3s pictured.
I think a 530 is 12 volt and the 310 is 6 volt. It has a generator so that means 6 volt doesnt it? As far as numbers I'm going back out to the barn tomorrow to recheck the casting numbers on the block. Do the other numbers on the trans and undercarriage tell you anything?
On the trans is G1355
Right side under seat is 9 29 60
Left side under gear shift is G 10 96 with an S under those'

Photo10231248.jpg
Photo10281411.jpg

/ Time to Play a Game- Name this CASE #8  
There were 12V generators, before going to alternators.

It comes to mind, my 310B had the convoluted screen grill,and a HD bumper with a protective upper structure, that was a bit higher than the hood in front. I have some decent pics of it, but they are on another computer, that was taken out of service.

As far as the number on the transmission, you'll just have to check the part number @ Case/IH Ag.,and Case Construction, and see if you get a match. As I mentioned before, trans. cases etc. of the drive train were used on several models.

IF it would happen to be a 530, I have a link to a page with specs., parts manuals, and service manuals that you can download for free. I'll double check to make sure it is still up & going.

/ Time to Play a Game- Name this CASE #9  
The link is still good..!! There should be a wealth of information here, if it is indeed a W3, or 530.

Case 530CK - Tractor Specs

Does this look like a G148 or G159?

Photo10311401.jpg

Photo10311415.jpg

Photo10311343.jpg

Photo10311419.jpg

Photo10311404.jpg