Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #1  

kwbretired

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 485, John Deere 5425, & John Deere Skid Steer 333D
What would be a good tire gauge to buy to check pressure in ballasted tires. I heard a regular gauge won’t work at for long.

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #2  
Check with an auto parts store. Tell them that you want a water style pencil gauge. Also, I've had good luck with the small dial type gauge. Did a lot of water filling when I worked in tractor dealerships. Slao make sure that the valve stem is at the top when checking the pressure.

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #3  
I have been using a regular gauge for 10 years without issue. Put the valve stem at 12 o'clock and briefly burp it to let any liquid out of the valve before you attach the gauge.

If this was bad for the gauge surely it would have died by now.

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #4  
I have a standard pencil gauge. Valve stem at 12 o' clock - briefly blow a puff or two of air into the stem to clear the RimGuard. Check the pressure.

Another method - just as good and involves no gauges. Roll the tractor out onto the concrete hard driveway. Do you get complete chevron contact with the ground. All the way across the chevrons. The pressure is OK. My RimGuard loaded rear tires run at 16psi. I have R-1's on my M6040. The "contact patch" approach may not work as well with R-3 or R-4 tires.

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire
Could have swore the operators manual said to check with the valve srem towards the bottom. I’ll have to go back & read it again. Ood to know that a regular gauge will work.

Thanks, I’ll order one of these.

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #8  
I have been using a regular gauge for 10 years without issue. Put the valve stem at 12 o'clock and briefly burp it to let any liquid out of the valve before you attach the gauge
That's the way I check mine, haven't had a problem yet..........Mike

I tried to order this gauge but they wanted 11+ dollars for shipping. No way.

/ Tire pressure gauge for ballasted tractor tire #10  
Could have swore the operators manual said to check with the valve srem towards the bottom. I’ll have to go back & read it again. Ood to know that a regular gauge will work.
Probably does but it references a tire that is not liquid filled. if the valve on a liquid filled tire is at the bottom .... its under water right?
thats why your gauge is getting wet.
if the valve is at the top then its out of the water. What you arnt seeing is the tire never gets 100% filled with liquid. there has to be somewhere for the air to pressurize the tire and the tire to flex. Usually filled around 70-80% of the tire.