Tractor Sizing Tire size on M5040

/ Tire size on M5040 #1  

DR3045

Tractor
MF245 traded for a Kubota M4900
Hi,
I am looking at buying a M5040 and they give the option on tire size 14.9 x 28 or 16.9 x 28 I will be mowing on some steep ground. Firestone said that there is no difference because the 14.9 is a little shorter and the 16.9 is wider do any of you have an opinion on this? I could go with the 14.9 and wheel wieghts.
Thanks for the help.

/ Tire size on M5040 #2  
I just bought a 5003 series John Deere which is about the same tractor, and I will also be mowing on some inclines. I had the same tire choice, and selected the 16.9's configured in their widest position.

I figured that in addition to the stability gained by the extra width, I would get slightly less tire garfing on the yard.

I can't tell you how well it works since I haven't received the tractor yet. I'm just sharing why I chose that way I did.

/ Tire size on M5040
Thanks for the reply let me know how they work for you. I was wondering if the couple of inches in height would really make a difference on a hillside the 16.9 does hold more fluid. Am I just splitting hairs.
It's not the work that gets to me it the decisions That are killing me!:D

/ Tire size on M5040 #4  
DR3045 said:
Thanks for the reply let me know how they work for you. I was wondering if the couple of inches in height would really make a difference on a hillside the 16.9 does hold more fluid. Am I just splitting hairs.
It's not the work that gets to me it the decisions That are killing me!:D
You probably are splitting hairs, but I would say go with the bigger tire unless you have some need for narrower like working in row crops or in a garden with narrow rows.

Although the size difference is 2 inches only half of that is on the bottom so the tractor will only be 1" higher; and really not even 1" since the aspect ratio of the tires is probably about 90 it will only ride .9" higher. Go with the wider tire, you will have more flotation and carrying capacity.

/ Tire size on M5040
I will have to check with the dealer and see he says. Thanks