Tired of the mess in my shop

/ Tired of the mess in my shop #1  

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
I have 16 years of accumulated garbage in my shop. enough is enough.

This is what the wall storage system looked like last Thursday IMG_20140824_164305143.jpg IMG_20140824_164311265.jpg

had to start in one area asnd im going to move up the wall. Out with the old and in with a new steel shelving system i got from an old Office depot that moved out of town.

IMG_20140824_164317443.jpg

I then framed a 2x4 wall flush with the 6x6 posts, insulated with R19 and sheated with 7/16" OSB. Two coats of primer and paint.

IMG_20140831_150803759.jpg IMG_20140831_163932770.jpg IMG_20140901_072757028.jpg

then proceeded in taking down the next section. I thought i could do 8' at a time, but the new shelved proved to be 8'6". oh well.

IMG_20140901_093403432.jpg IMG_20140901_090145177.jpg IMG_20140901_075907364.jpg IMG_20140901_111800056.jpg

all painted, starting to set new shelves. 2 of the 3 sections are now installed. Now i just need to stock them in some order that works. My wife bought me a bunch of plastic storage boxes.IMG_20140901_171325724.jpg IMG_20140901_133526770.jpg IMG_20140901_171338016.jpg

/ Tired of the mess in my shop #2  
Looking good!

/ Tired of the mess in my shop #4  
I feel your pain, I filled the pickup yesterday with crap I just had to hold on too. I told my son that it feels so freeing to get rid of stuff. I can't get anything done because my mind is cluttered with crap because the shop is cluttered. Just throw it away!

/ Tired of the mess in my shop #5  
I feel your pain, I filled the pickup yesterday with crap I just had to hold on too. I told my son that it feels so freeing to get rid of stuff. I can't get anything done because my mind is cluttered with crap because the shop is cluttered. Just throw it away!
then next week you will be wanting 1/2 of that stuff back for that project you need to do,

/ Tired of the mess in my shop #6  
Looks awesome! If you're like me, you'll store something for 16 years, then decide to toss it out while cleaning, then end up needing it within a couple months.

I have now started a new storage system -- long term items go down under my house in the conditioned crawl space, rather than clutter up my workshop or barn. And lumber or building materials goes outside in my own private junkyard in the woods. If I never need an item, it hasn't wasted my shop space sitting there and nobody will care about that junk when I die. If I do need it, I have a short walk to retrieve it (I just need to remember I own it). Kind of like an on-site warehouse. Now the shop is just storing tools and materials/parts I have short term need for, and my barn is just storing active equipment.

It's amazing how much space I used to waste on stuff that would sit for years/decades, meanwhile I'd be cramped for actual working area in my shop when doing projects, or have no room in my barn to park equipment. So my new rule is, if an object doesn't have an immediate use within the next couple months, it goes under the house or out in my junkyard. I'd say I have recovered 40% more space in the barn and workshop as a result.

/ Tired of the mess in my shop #7  
then next week you will be wanting 1/2 of that stuff back for that project you need to do,

Next week? More likely two hours after the trashman leaves! ;-)

I have to say that recently I have used some items that I have kept on the shelf for 40 years! I knew I would need them some day!

/ Tired of the mess in my shop #8  
Oh no, thegreat, why in the world did ye have to post this! Pics no less! I only open the door to my shop when there is no possibility of another person being able to see inside! Glad I live in the woods, but even when a neighbor comes by our shared private road, I close the door!

But, yours looks nice, right, blah, blah, blah... Heheheheeee, just jestin'.

/ Tired of the mess in my shop #9  
I often joke that 49% of my time spent in the shop is working and the other 51% is spent cleaning up. My shop is used daily so keeping the clutter out is a must, but it's also very hard for me to throw much of anything away as you never know when you will need it.

Anything that accumulates in the shop and is not used within a 2 month period automatically going to the separate storage building for safe keeping until the day comes (15 years from now) that I may need it. This makes keeping the shop clean and cutter free a lot easier.

Cleaning out the storage building? Don't even think about it.

/ Tired of the mess in my shop #10  
I often joke that 49% of my time spent in the shop is working and the other 51% is spent cleaning up. My shop is used daily so keeping the clutter out is a must, but it's also very hard for me to throw much of anything away as you never know when you will need it.

Anything that accumulates in the shop and is not used within a 2 month period automatically going to the separate storage building for safe keeping until the day comes (15 years from now) that I may need it. This makes keeping the shop clean and cutter free a lot easier.

Cleaning out the storage building? Don't even think about it.

I spend about half the job looking for the stuff I put "where I could find it if I needed it again".