Tires/Wheels for Utility Trailer - Hub-Centric/Lug-Centric

/ Tires/Wheels for Utility Trailer - Hub-Centric/Lug-Centric #1  

MarkF48

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2216
I think I know what I need, but some conflicting information has made me a bit unsure.......

- The trailer currently has wheels with a 2.5" center 'pilot' hole and is snug to the mounting hub.
- The current wheel mounting holes are conical to accept the conical faced bolts.
- Most all replacement tire/wheel combos I'm finding have larger pilot holes than 2.5" and are a 'lug-centric' type mount.
- An online tire seller has a Q/A page that states if 'bolts' are used to mount the wheel, then the pilot hole of the replacement wheel has match the hub size, but if 'nuts' are used, then a larger pilot hole is acceptable.... Does the Center Pilot Hole of a Trailer Wheel Have to be an Exact Size | etrailer.com
- Is there any difference between a nut with a 60 deg conical face vs a bolt with a 60 deg conical face in mounting a wheel intended to be mounted 'lug-centric'? I'm thinking it shouldn't make a difference between a nut and bolt.

Pic below is nuts to show difference. The bolts on my trailer have the lug-centric shape.

Attachments

• Hub-Lug_Centric_page__opt3.jpeg
    Hub-Lug_Centric_page__opt3.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 134
   / Tires/Wheels for Utility Trailer - Hub-Centric/Lug-Centric #2  
The only difference I can see is that a larger hole in the hub would make lining up the bolt holes a bit more difficult. As long as they are tightened properly (all snug first to line everything up, then tighten) it shouldn't make any difference at all.

/ Tires/Wheels for Utility Trailer - Hub-Centric/Lug-Centric #3  
If I understand what Mark has there - I've always had a lug-centric situation. I agree with Mendonsy - as long as the lug nuts will tighten the hub to the wheel - everything should be OK.

I would recommend Blue LokTite be used in this situation.