TN70 injector pump removal

/ TN70 injector pump removal #1  

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
A friend of mine has a TN70 and the injector pump recently started leaking. The tractor was sent to a servicing dealer because he was unable to find out how to pull the bolts that secured the pump. Have any of you experienced needing to remove an injector, is there a trick that we don't know about? His reply to me is included.

Boy. I could find no way with out a special tool, These bolts were
about 3/4 inch around with no head on them broke off about 1/2 inch out
from the case Nothing to grab, They engineered it this way I could see
no reasonable way to get them off with out a great possibility of
breaking something,

/ TN70 injector pump removal #2  
There is no special tool to remove the bolts. The proper way to remove them is to unscrew them with a hammer and chisel. Take a dull chisel and put it at a 45 degree angle off to one side of the bolt flange. Lightly strike the chisel and the bolt will come right out. After it comes out a half turn or so it will unscrew easily, usually with your fingers. You can replace them with regular hex head cap screws.

/ TN70 injector pump removal
We suspected that this might some how come down to using a hammer. :)

Not sure why New Holland just couldn't have used regular bolts in the 1st place.

Thanks for the response!

/ TN70 injector pump removal #4  
The bolts had heads on them when they were installed. As they are tightened up at a specific tourqe the head shears of. They also are to keep people from changing pump timing on a Tier 2 emisionized engine thus saving the person from a $25,000 a day fine for changing fuel settings.

Just seems a pity to me that the manufacturer makes it so difficult for the end user to remove the pump. In this case the tractor was sent to a servicing dealer because the owner didn't know how to deal with the "sheared bolts" himself, and didn't know whom to ask.

That cost him a pretty penny in transportation charges to pick-up and deliver said TN.

/ TN70 injector pump removal #6  
I have removed those tamper-proof bolts with Vise-Grips. It is unreasonable to blame the manufacturer for the owner's inability to figure that out. If you want to pass this off elsewhere, try the EPA. Experience is something gained just after it is needed most.

I stand by my original comment but I also respect yours.

This just got a bit more interesting. The following was forwarded to me.

Well It turns out that after reading my owners manual there is a Federal
Emissions warranty on the pump for 5 years or 3000 hours (yours too) It
seems the dealer does not know this???? Every Diesel engine has this
warranty since 1996. Can you imagine how many People have gotten pump
work done at XXXXXXXXX and have been charged for it when it was
probably under warranty?? Or any other Dealer, I'm working with the
Service Manager and he checked warranty and came back to tell me the
Tractor is out of warranty, I guess he has no idea about this??

/ TN70 injector pump removal #9  
The store I used to work for has done warranty work on fuel systems under the emissions warranty after the factory machine warranty expired. As we all know here, some dealer's service departments are more up to speed than others. And some customers get a higher level of service than others at the same dealership. Many owners are unaware of the emissions warranties. They affect motor vehicles similarly as well.