TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,741  
I was getting pretty involved in RDS pistols and got away from them. I had a failure in an RMR that was basically catastrophic but you couldn't tell while shooting other than your rounds were going everywhere. Also had significant fogging issues going from indoors to outdoors in the GA summer, can't even use backup irons because you can't see through the viewing window. Great for comps and I still have one set up for EDC I carry to a place I go often which has relatively dark lighting and backgrounds (no it's not a bar) but other than that I've gone back to all irons for EDC, the risk is not worth the speed IMHO.
Double darn you!!;)

May I ask what brand RMR did you have the failure with, and what was the outcome when you sent it back to the manufacturer?

My double darn was for the fogging comment ;)

I know three guys older than myself (two I consider friends) that use RMR's with their handguns, and I specifically asked them if they have any noticeable issues using their RMR and everyone said "no problem".

That said, I could see where fogging could be a issue in the south with summer months coming out from a air conditioned space. I'll need to do some tests in the summer months on my own to ensure I feel more comfortable with it. Thank you for that experience. Never thought of the potential issue because I always use "dots" on some of my rifles and not handguns.

Worst case, I consider the LEO who I bought the gun from a really good kid (friends with his father) and for what I paid for everything (good deal IMO) worst case I'll go back to putting rear irons on it and am still OK with the fact that I gave my money to a good kid who gave me a deal and I'll have a extra red dot sight in the safe.

Again, appreciate the personal experience on your end.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,742  
Double darn you!!;)

May I ask what brand RMR did you have the failure with, and what was the outcome when you sent it back to the manufacturer?

My double darn was for the fogging comment ;)

I know three guys older than myself (two I consider friends) that use RMR's with their handguns, and I specifically asked them if they have any noticeable issues using their RMR and everyone said "no problem".

That said, I could see where fogging could be a issue in the south with summer months coming out from a air conditioned space. I'll need to do some tests in the summer months on my own to ensure I feel more comfortable with it. Thank you for that experience.

Worst case, I consider the LEO who I bought the gun from a really good kid (friends with his father) and for what I paid for everything (good deal IMO) worst case I'll go back to putting rear irons on it and am still OK with the fact that I gave my money to a good kid who gave me a deal and I'll have a extra red dot sight in the safe.

Again, appreciate the personal experience on your end.
Trijicon. They fixed it no questions, didn’t even have it registered. I fully support their company don’t take this failure as trashing them in anyway, anything can break. The focusing lens broke free on mine, lost accuracy over the course of a few sessions then when I deliberately went to troubleshoot with I got lucky and caught it half way out. If it would have disappeared I’d probably still be cursing it:oops:
AC72448B-AE28-46DC-A03F-4F2118CA06CA.jpeg
A8292636-C544-44DD-B6CC-C432D83BF214.jpeg

Here is a crappy image of fogging, really all you can notice without focus on objects through the lens is there’s no front sight visible.
190D064C-7E6D-47CD-BBD8-386D41AC46CC.jpeg

FWIW I bought it new so you can see it’s had some adventures.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,743  
Trijicon. They fixed it no questions, didn’t even have it registered. I fully support their company don’t take this failure as trashing them in anyway, anything can break.
Completely agree that anything can break.

Nice to know they stood behind the product even though it wasn't registered (they get picky per the warranty per their written "word" IMO).

Double dang it 😂 t

Thank you.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,744  
I’m trying to remember the timeline on that one. Got it Nov ‘17, carried it EDC for 12 months in very hard conditions. Normal EDC probably half the time after that as I’m pretty hard core 1911. It broke in spring some time ‘20. It was repaired very quick, think it was less than three weeks door to door and it came back with a new in package battery which I appreciated/noticed along with a certificate that they’d rebuilt it and replaced an o-ring in addition to the lens. I’ve carried probably ~120 days since and probably put another 6-700 rounds on it. No further issues with accuracy or function.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,745  
I’m trying to remember the timeline on that one. Got it Nov ‘17, carried it EDC for 12 months in very hard conditions. Normal EDC probably half the time after that as I’m pretty hard core 1911. It broke in spring some time ‘20 I think right as Covid started. It was repaired very quick, think it was less than three weeks door to door and it came back with a new in package battery which I appreciated/noticed along with a certificate that they’d rebuilt it and replaced an o-ring in addition to the lens. I’ve carried probably ~120 days since and probably put another 6-700 rounds on it. No further issues with accuracy or function.
Just curious...

I'm guessing from what I've read in the past on your end that you're younger than myself (I'm pushing 60). What made you go with a RMR on a carry piece in the first place?

Like I mentioned before, for myself, I finally broke down due to my old eyes, and even with some better "high vis" irons, between cheap reading glasses and no glasses, the irons on many of my sidearms are getting harder to pick up.

Getting old ain't for pusey's 😂

Note, ******* will not pass speck check here LOL

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,746  
So, I know what I did wrong, or let's say, I know that I had two good options, and I failed to use either... So; cut, formed, trimmed, some IMI 556 into 300 BO brass, and loaded with some Lee 200gr powder coated bullets. Got two or three like this. I should have either expanded the neck or gave them an aggressive chamfer, but I just gave them a chamfer lightly. Question is, now that the necks are crushed; and I doubt they will even go into a full-length sizing die; are these just 100% trash now? Is there a way to recover brass with a crushed neck-shoulder junction?

Also; ran some 9.6gr SW Black out; got all subs, but 0% function; ran H110 from 5/5 supers and 100% function; down to 2/5 supers with 0% rechamber(all extracted); so that shows me H110 and this gun, this bullet, is a no go. Got some Lil'gun, Hogdons Black Out, too try as well. Saw Reloder 7 the other day, but it was like $65/pound, so I passed.

As a note; with these round nose 200gr 309 Lee pills; I'm having to seat at 1.925" OAL; and the cases want to move forwards in the mag, and not strip the after a few shots. Is that something others have an issue with; short OAL moving in the mags?
20230212_171418.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,747  
BTW, the projectiles don't deform when they seat smoothly. Figured I better say that before someone say, this guy's an idiot and gonna blow his face off.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,748  
Just curious...

I'm guessing from what I've read in the past on your end that you're younger than myself (I'm pushing 60). What made you go with a RMR on a carry piece in the first place?

Like I mentioned before, for myself, I finally broke down due to my old eyes, and even with some better "high vis" irons, between cheap reading glasses and no glasses, the irons on many of my sidearms are getting harder to pick up.

Getting old ain't for pusey's 😂

Note, ******* will not pass speck check here LOL
Yeah, you got a couple years on me…but not many. I went to RDS because I got into 3-gun where speed is everything and RDS are far superior for speed. If you do no other modifications to your pistol just having an RDS changes your classification, rightly so. I wanted that to work for other areas where I needed pistols but the extra maintenance and failures like I said have driven me back to irons for EDC.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,749  
So, I know what I did wrong, or let's say, I know that I had two good options, and I failed to use either... So; cut, formed, trimmed, some IMI 556 into 300 BO brass, and loaded with some Lee 200gr powder coated bullets. Got two or three like this. I should have either expanded the neck or gave them an aggressive chamfer, but I just gave them a chamfer lightly. Question is, now that the necks are crushed; and I doubt they will even go into a full-length sizing die; are these just 100% trash now? Is there a way to recover brass with a crushed neck-shoulder junction?

Also; ran some 9.6gr SW Black out; got all subs, but 0% function; ran H110 from 5/5 supers and 100% function; down to 2/5 supers with 0% rechamber(all extracted); so that shows me H110 and this gun, this bullet, is a no go. Got some Lil'gun, Hogdons Black Out, too try as well. Saw Reloder 7 the other day, but it was like $65/pound, so I passed.

As a note; with these round nose 200gr 309 Lee pills; I'm having to seat at 1.925" OAL; and the cases want to move forwards in the mag, and not strip the after a few shots. Is that something others have an issue with; short OAL moving in the mags?View attachment 783644
Yeah, if it can’t be reshaped with an expander it’s toast for me. For sure if you put a wrinkle in it, it’s just going to fracture if you did get it sorted.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,750  
Yeah, you got a couple years on me…but not many. I went to RDS because I got into 3-gun where speed is everything and RDS are far superior for speed. If you do no other modifications to your pistol just having an RDS changes your classification, rightly so. I wanted that to work for other areas where I needed pistols but the extra maintenance and failures like I said have driven me back to irons for EDC.
You're a better man than I in many ways (as well as some others here on this forum). One reason why I respect your opinion.

Last edited: