TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,241  
Doofy, IMO, you'll want to have tried as many as a dozen pellets/weights to find a best.

Max accuracy for match/target are the 'deep' (hemisphere) domes. Points, cups, cones, .. brass or poly tips in cups can be tried later.

Devour reviews on PA, & other sites for advice, esp looking for mention of your gun/caliber. Test pellets at half your intended distance and cull the near misses. Add distance and repeat.

An optic should negate the short sight-radius of a HG, but long guns gain from inertia (esp a higher polar moment) in a few ways. Spring/gas piston models will be the most difficult to 'follow through' on the shot, also by the internal movement/forces when firing.

Many will say that the loose artillery-hold is key to shooting one-pumpers consistently, letting recoil do its thing. (The gun will jolt twice before the bullet leaves the pipe vs once with RF & CF ..) A firm hold may prove better for you, just another thing to try.

btw, I'm lousy with my gas piston guns, upgrade triggers and find the best ammo .. then Bill hands the gun back and I shoot 1 1/2 to his 1/2? That's why I'm adding PCPs, tho' my older Trail NP will remain my 'field' stalker, and nothing beats air guns for rounds/$. This NP2 is just such a peach in either caliber anyway, and the price is ~ /< 1/2 the street price of recent years.

Power just came back on. Only four hours out.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,242  
Good points and I haven't given up on the airguns. I did the break-in process as directed and tried 6 different types and brands of pellets and I sighted it in at 35', the distance I planned to shoot. Out of 125 shots, I managed to kill only 3 Tree Rats.

To be fair, my vision was greatly compromised by a pituitary brain tumor. Now that I am repaired and my vision is back to normal, I will try again. Thanks for the tips.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,243  
"NOTICE!"

If you have ever considered air-gunning, this is perhaps the best one-pump rifle you will find, a bargain at $200 and a no-brainer at <$100. Benjamin Trail NP2 See it here for that little, .. for now. :rolleyes:
Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston Elite Pellet Air Rifle 22 Cal Synthetic

Features include:
1) nitro-piston power (vs noisy metal spring)
2) easier cocking than Trail NP & Trail NPXL Benjis (I have both, they've been served :laughing:)
3) shrouded barrel (sound ~/= Daisy Red Ryder)
4) typical weight .22 pellets deliver power below the speed of sound (avoiding flutter in transition from supersonic ~/> 1100 fps and its accuracy impairment.)
5) Center-Point (Crosman) 3-9 x 32 Scope

View attachment 630386

btw, my Pard shoots 13g pellets in a .177 Trail NP2, nearly 2x std weight for caliber. We have found the combo to deliver >20ft/lb energy on target at 20 yd (*corrected) ~2x the max distance I shoot :rolleyes:)

*edited on icrutch se during current power outage .. since about when I first posted ..

.22 LR in subsonic at over 1,000 FPS with a bullet weight of 42 grain in the only way to go. The only downside is you have to buy a supressor if you're worried about noise, but well worth it as it's quieter than my Gammo Bone collector.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,244  
Can you say company Christmas party?:thumbsup:

G1.png

G2.png

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,247  
That would be an enjoyable Christmas party.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,248  
I have never kept an unloaded weapon. Probably not easy on the magazine springs but have never had a magazine fail.

I always keep all my weapons locked and loaded (no children or visitors to mess with them). An unloaded gun is basically just a club. Never had any issue with magazine spring getting weak over time.
If I lived in a place that required ammo stored separately from gun and gun in a locked box, then I would just opt for a baton or some other form of a club which would be more easily used and more effective than an unloaded weapon.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,249  
Never had any issue with magazine spring getting weak over time.

Springs don't weaken from being loaded. They weaken from use/cycling. The only mags where you need to be concerned with storing them loaded are things like pmags where the spring pressure on the feed lips will distort (unless you snap on the storage cap thing).

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #4,250  
.22 LR in subsonic at over 1,000 FPS with a bullet weight of 42 grain in the only way to go. The only downside is you have to buy a supressor if you're worried about noise, but well worth it as it's quieter than my Gammo Bone collector.

I never really got into break barrel airguns, I have several but they're too much work to shoot accurately... As for the subsonic .22LR and a suppressor, I will probably do that one day, but for less hassle you can buy a precharged pneumatic airgun with a shrouded barrel that is dang near silent. I have two Benjamin Marauders one in .22 and one in .25, the .22 has been my go to for a few years, just got the .25. I need to pull out the chrony but I have 34 grain pellets for the .25 and it's nearly as quiet as the .22 but over twice the projectile weight... (my go to is 14.3 grain in .22). But I have a .22 Benjamin Maximus that was $150 ($300 with a hand pump package I believe) and put on a $45 slip on suppressor and it is nearly as quiet as the marauders...

Doofy, that pistol is well known for frustrating people by not shooting accurately, too violent of a shot cycle, too stiff of a trigger (I think it is direct sear if memory serves) and short coupled sights, and the cocking assistance handle is too close to the projectile and effects the accuracy as well... If you want something accurate, get a Beeman P17, they float around $20-30 and have a superb trigger, bit goofy to load a pellet in but the barrel is the whole length of the pistol and it is a single stroke pneumatic so no moving piston upon firing.