TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #62  
What is a good scope for my 10-22?.

I have had great success, and fun, with a 1x4 on my 10/22. At 1x, the eye box is huge, and 4x imho fits the .22lr cartridge well.
Lot's of great glass out there at 1x4; mine in particular on my Ruger is a Nikon M223 I had previously had on an AR. Yeah, the BDC is tailored to the 223, but again, we are talking .22lr, so who cares about a BDC reticle anyway? I took this rifle/scope combo to an Appleseed weekend a couple of years ago, and it really paired well.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #64  
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #65  
Thanks or should I get a red dot are they better?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #66  
Thanks or should I get a red dot are they better?

It depends. I have a red dot on one of my 10/22's and a scope on the other. If most of your shots will be 50 yards or less and you need rapid aquisition of the sight picture for a rapid shot, the red dot cannot be beat. Remember most of them have zero magnification and you shoot with both eyes open. This is the very fastest way I know to get on target. If you need precision and/or most of your shots will be further out or even if they are close in but you need a very precise well aimed shot the the scope is better. I have a 1 to 4 scope on my second 10/22. Not that I cannot shoot pretty rapidly with the scope also, but I can beat my time from the scope by using the red dot. It is just a little bit faster.

For example the last time I competed, (over a year ago) I took both rifles, but I used the red dot. my best time to go from "port arms" and hit 5 small steel targets placed at 25 yards was 2.52 seconds. If the targets had been at 75 yards, there is no doubt I would have used the one with the traditional scope with the duplex reticle.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #68  
Found some more "goodies." A carry case for my AR-556 and a cleaning kit upgrade.

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1470494405.634234.jpg ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1470494418.753580.jpg ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1470494438.261197.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #70  
Thanks for the explanation on both that helped

Also one other thing about a red dot, it is good for low light situations. Just turn the dot intensity down real low (my aimpoint has 11 positions) and you can use it at night when you might not be able to see the reticle of a tradition scope. If you main goal is taking care of varmints in the back yard, the red dot cannot be beat. There are some scope's on the market that try to make the best of both worlds, but having a traditional reticle, but have the ability to "light up" the reticle with the flip of a switch. But the no magnification and the ability to keep both eyes open the red dot always allows for a quick acquisition of your target, and when getting on fast moving varmints in low light, that can be important.