TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,101  
As many hogs as there are in Texas, I think you should go try it out on them! I wouldn't trade my Dad's gun for anything, but that is just me. I tend to not let many guns go anyway, but Daddy's, no way!
People use them on moose up here. Not suppose go but they do as they been carrying them for coyote

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,102  
We're usually hunting the Missouri breaks (badlands like terrain) And then we end up in the trees shooting deer at less than 100y. Might just take my old 1884 Trapdoor cadet rifle out and use cast boolits in 45-70.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,103  
.45-70 won many 1000 yd matches at Camp Perry with .405g bullets ballistically comparable to Rem's modern green box load. (also 'trap door-safe') IIRC point of aim is ~33' high to get the trajectory at 1k. Nowadays .450 Bushie is it's ballistic twin (300-400g pills) and IMO that gives the classic plenty of competition for those who don't shoot their sibling 20Ga (slug) or MLs.

btw, my .45-70 Handy rifle was once a combo also with 28" BP barrel. I got just the .45 barrel, but for $100. Otherwise the last .45-70 Handis were 22" or 32" buffalo or classic something. The 28" looks, handles, and shoots great, esp as the wooden rod mounts to both barrels. (a poser) and I like the extra 4" of sight radius.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,104  
I have 2 lever guns and 1 falling block in 45/70. If I could only have 1 rifle, 1 shotgun and 1 hand gun they would be my Marlin Guide stainless lever action in 45/70, my Benelli M4 in 12 gauge and my 1960 Colt Python in 357. That should get most jobs done.
That's almost the traditional farmer's arsenal. A rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun. You forgot the .22, which is always your most used rifle. My selection is a Marlin 1895, a Remington 870 express magnum, a 686, and a Remington pump .22. Those are the tools of the trade.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,105  
My scenario was only 3. If I could have 4, a Ruger 10/22 would be my choice.
As for the 45/70, I've been hitting chickens at 500 yards for years. A deer would be no problem. Even a bear at that distance would be on the dinner table. I've got a good friend who dropped a 1100lb elk at 700 yards with one.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,106  
Without buying anything new...Winchester .22LR model 190, Beretta A300 12 gauge semi, Glock 17 9mm....if you prefer a pump, swap the Beretta for Winchester 1300

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,107  
As many hogs as there are in Texas, I think you should go try it out on them! I wouldn't trade my Dad's gun for anything, but that is just me. I tend to not let many guns go anyway, but Daddy's, no way!
If dad had shot the Springfield, I wouldn't either. He got it surplus when he was first in AF 1950 ish. The only gun of Daddy's that I would not trade is his Belgian Browning. It is what he carried every time we hunted together. Next would be his H&R 16g break action...1st one he let me use...kicks like a mule.
On my land, a long range rifle is not really practical.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,108  
My scenario was only 3. If I could have 4, a Ruger 10/22 would be my choice.
As for the 45/70, I've been hitting chickens at 500 yards for years. A deer would be no problem. Even a bear at that distance would be on the dinner table. I've got a good friend who dropped a 1100lb elk at 700 yards with one.
The vast majority of hunters do not have the skill you and your friend have. I doubt 1 in 1000 could make a 500 yard shot with the .45/70. They need a rangefinder to get the distance, know the drop, and then the ability to read the wind and know the windage data.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,109  
Yes, but that is what long range hunting is about. (AKA plotting/knowing your trajectory. ;)) Even with 6.5 Cultmoor (=.260 Rem to 300 yd) there will be hold-over for distance.

Interesting to me how those who've mentioned a 'min'/basic battery of 3-4 guns have offered such admirable combinations. (y) Believe me, many of us with several dozen (three or more long guns in a caliber, etc) often wish we shot & loaded for fewer guns and more often 'per each'. o_O

btw, I'd like to reload more, but have more brass to empty than I have available/prepped to reload. I'm even thinking about selling off some of my stockpile if anyone is interested. POR for .223, .30-30, .30-40 Krag, .270 Win, .270 Wby, 7mmx57, 7mmSTW, .308, 30-06, .40 S&W, .22LR. PM me anytime for particulars. Sure wish I could sell bricks of primers and/or unopened lbs of powder but nobody is close enough to meet up with (Southern lower peninsula, etc) to get around paying haz-mat & finding a shipper. :unsure:

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,110  
I was shooting almost daily until ammo got scarce/overpriced , 9mm 40sw and 45. Now I mostly shoot 22lr 22mag and 17hmr