TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,991  
Ok, with all this talk about wood vs plastic stocks, lets see those wood ones.
Here's a couple of mine..
Liking the laminated stock. Every time I see one I lust after the stock but not the gun. Unless I see an AK with a laminated stock from a good maker. That will go home with me.

I like a wood stock. When I find my camera I'll post pics but most of them are old guns.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,992  
Liking the laminated stock. Every time I see one I lust after the stock but not the gun. Unless I see an AK with a laminated stock from a good maker. That will go home with me.

I like a wood stock. When I find my camera I'll post pics but most of them are old guns.
Yeah, the one with the laminated stock is a Win model 70 I bought new in the 90's..

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,993  
I like laminated stocks, have an H&R Ultra & a Rem 799 with 'em. This is an authentic 8x57 shooter with one. Headspace is dead on and it's easy on brass.

No14_'98.jpg

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,994  
So, not trying to get back on Hollywood and guns, but; just finished watching Dexter: New Blood episode 1; and some gun related nonsense; rich man wants to buy a gun, and he offers him a Remington 783... that's like an Axis' poor cousin. Instead he buys a generic AR, probably an Anderson arms; it was $9000. Later a lady pulls a entire 9mm cartridge out of a bullet wound. Later, he had an Estwing hatchet for splitting fire wood.

What I'm getting at, is Hollywood types don't much understand guns, outdoors, ect.

Edit: I wouldnt know a $35 camera from a $3500 camera; or what the difference was between two guitars, if your not involved in something, you dont know much about it generally. Except Snap-on, I work on vehicles some, and still cant imagine spending $300 on a normal ratchet....

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,995  
Sometimes ya just gotta be practical. (y)

btw, I took a $300 single-shot Handi-Rifle and a $40 shrink-pack scope on a ~$2k guided hunt. I'd sighted-in at home and again with my guide, got one shot afield, and came home after a 396 yd shot with a nice mount and a half bx of ammo left over. It's not what you have, it's what you do with it.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,996  
Sometimes ya just gotta be practical. (y)

btw, I took a $300 single-shot Handi-Rifle and a $40 shrink-pack scope on a ~$2k guided hunt. I'd sighted-in at home and again with my guide, got one shot afield, and came home after a 396 yd shot with a nice mount and a half bx of ammo left over. It's not what you have, it's what you do with it.
Just curious, why would you spend 2k on a guided hunt and take that rifle?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,997  
I didn't hope to get a follow-up shot on an antelope in open country so I took my most accurate rifle, a .280 Rem with 26" barrel. 140g Fed Prem NBT ammo was ~$26/bx back then. I've since replaced the scope with a Simmons Aetec, but haven't shot the .280 in a dozen years. I'd filled my tag by 9:00 AM opening day and though the mount was pricey the meat was delicious while it lasted.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,998  
I didn't hope to get a follow-up shot on an antelope in open country so I took my most accurate rifle, a .280 Rem with 26" barrel. 140g Fed Prem NBT ammo was ~$26/bx back then. I've since replaced the scope with a Simmons Aetec, but haven't shot the .280 in a dozen years. I'd filled my tag by 9:00 AM opening day and though the mount was pricey the meat was delicious while it lasted.
So you are saying your Handi-rifle is your most accurate rifle? Interesting!

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,999  
It was then. ;) Might have been my only 'hunter' at the time. I've bought and sold a few dozen rifles since then. Few in comparable calibers have been tested. (7mm-08, 7x57, 270) Desn't help that all my shooting/reloading buds live in other states.

btw, after cataract surgery and and a fixed lens in my left eye with impressive results it'll be another week before I get my shootin' eye done as well. It's worse, and I'm kinda cross-eyed for another week with ~20/20 on the left but needing readers, and still using the rt lens in my glasses for the bi-focal bit. I really can't focus on cross-hairs because of the cataract but should be good to go by the end of the month.

If I hunt again out West I'd likely take the .270. Sold 7mm STW Sako 75 and .270 Wby Mk V because I didn't feel a need for the power or range. I have .338-06 and 9.3x62 for bigger game if I ever line up another hunt.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,000  
It was then. ;) Might have been my only 'hunter' at the time. I've bought and sold a few dozen rifles since then. Few in comparable calibers have been tested. (7mm-08, 7x57, 270) Desn't help that all my shooting/reloading buds live in other states.

btw, after cataract surgery and and a fixed lens in my left eye with impressive results it'll be another week before I get my shootin' eye done as well. It's worse, and I'm kinda cross-eyed for another week with ~20/20 on the left but needing readers, and still using the rt lens in my glasses for the bi-focal bit. I really can't focus on cross-hairs because of the cataract but should be good to go by the end of the month.

If I hunt again out West I'd likely take the .270. Sold 7mm STW Sako 75 and .270 Wby Mk V because I didn't feel a need for the power or range. I have .338-06 and 9.3x62 for bigger game if I ever line up another hunt.
Good luck with your eyes for sure, mine was a nightmare!

Biggest gun I have anymore is my 3006 Win M70, rarely shoot it anymore, tried to sell it a while back and everyone wanted me to basically give it to them so I'll probably just keep it. Most of my hunting is now done with a 6.5 CM or my trusty 30/30 contender..