TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,031  
I guess I'm blessed because we do have a two clubs/ranges 10 and 15min from our place. I do hate paying for the privilege but I understand.
There just seems to be a lot more opportunity to shoot out west if you don't have your own land to shoot on compared to the east coast from my experiences.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,033  
When I was with my buddy in Montana, I was using a bottle. I looked and saw my buddy spit on the floor of his truck. I asked him what the heck was he doing. He said it'll wash up. Talk about freedom LOL

One thing I hated was when you had a coke spit bottle (mixed with left over coke) and a bottle of coke your were drinking from, and you took a swig from the coke spit bottle by mistake.

I stopped doing that long ago. The Weather Techs will hold a lot of spittle before its an issue.
Buddy of mine ahead an old 6.5L diesel Blazer. God I loved that thing for hunting.
Anyway, he’d spit dip on the floormats all the time.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,034  
This was my first experience with my father's old Cooey model 84 and my brand new Remington 700 SS 5R chambered in .300 WM ... maybe I'll do more gun stuff? Honestly, I think I enjoy tractors more haha

- James

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,035  
Took the dogs out for a walk, grabbed a pic of the 400 yards I'd have to play with if I tried to shoot that long on my place.

L4.png

The reality is the 3 deer that were had here were all taken within perhaps 40-80 yards with a gun, and none in an open field.

The better spot on my place to be is down in the gulley area down by the creek.

For rifle, for the most part, I'm more than happy with 100 yards to get some range time in.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,036  
There just seems to be a lot more opportunity to shoot out west if you don't have your own land to shoot on compared to the east coast from my experiences.

I was thinking about this on my way back dropping my one boy off for work.

4 states on the East Coast that I consider myself pretty familiar with are NY, Pa, WV and NC. From my own experiences out west, and speding a lot of time in those states are Idaho, Montanna and Utah.

Square miles and estimated population by square state
Montanna 145,556 sq miles, population 1.1 million
Idaho 82,751 sq miles, population 1.8 million
Utah 82,168 sq miles, population 3.2 million
NC 48,718 sq miles, population 10.4 million
NY 47,224 sq miles, population 19.4 million
WV 24,087 miles, population 1.72 million

I understand that NYC screws the state over in population, along with controlling Albany, but it is what it is.

Taking topography out, the reality is there is more space and less people out west.

That said, I still remember in the 90's when I spent a lot of time in Idaho and a lot of the "locals" complaining about California and the influx of people from that state.

I came to the conclusion that it wasn't bad living back east because I knew we were already screwed with population and government. Thing is, even back in the 90's people thought they were getting screwed by people moving in out west, and I knew even back then they hadn't seen anything yet.

I know everything is bigger in Texas (268,557 sq miles with a population of 29 million), but back then I couldn't stand the heat and liked cold better, and Texas can't hold a candle to Alaska with 663k sq miles and a population of 732k, but I could never get us the the daylight and night hours up in Alaska. I took a very long drive in Alaska and it really blew my mind.

At the end of the day, less people with more land means more shooting opportunities:)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,037  
Back when we lived in Missouri, the guy that lived next to me was an ex merc he had a big range area set up behind his house and the topography was a lot like your picture above. We set up a target on the back of my place we could see from his range.. 900 yards!! Only used it a couple times though.. kind of interesting though..

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,038  
Back when we lived in Missouri, the guy that lived next to me was an ex merc he had a big range area set up behind his house and the topography was a lot like your picture above. We set up a target on the back of my place we could see from his range.. 900 yards!! Only used it a couple times though.. kind of interesting though..
My buddy "built" a 1k range in SW Virginia. What's funny is your shooting upwards a little to hit a spot over 2 hills onto another hill that he cleared out for the target.

Locally, in like the last 10 years we've had 2 military type training ranges wanting to be built, both times the plans were shot down (pun intended).

What's funny is I can promise you most people complaining about a range due to noise most likely shoot themselves, they just don't want a bunch of city people driving to their "backyard" to shoot. Heck, I'll hear shooting at night up until midnight sometimes, but just one or two guys tops. Mrs. Phillips in the article above even had the high school shooting team over on her property to practice when they high school shooting team needed a short term location due to their range being updated.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,039  
My buddy "built" a 1k range in SW Virginia. What's funny is your shooting upwards a little to hit a spot over 2 hills onto another hill that he cleared out for the target.

Locally, in like the last 10 years we've had 2 military type training ranges wanting to be built, both times the plans were shot down (pun intended).

What's funny is I can promise you most people complaining about a range due to noise most likely shoot themselves, they just don't want a bunch of city people driving to their "backyard" to shoot. Heck, I'll hear shooting at night up until midnight sometimes, but just one or two guys tops. Mrs. Phillips in the article above even had the high school shooting team over on her property to practice when they high school shooting team needed a short term location due to their range being updated.
And that's understandable, I would not want that either. Unless the range is well managed and supervised at all times it is open you never know who is shooting or at what... I can probably count the number of times on one hand that I have been to a public range, a couple were of the "open to the public" type and they seemed pretty scary..

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,040  
Although not the same very similar, several years ago Bedford County voted on a proposed ordinance to ban cows from mooing after 9:00 PM working on tractors etc.etc. It almost passed