TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,201  
For bolt action, I prefer the .308 over the .30-06 because the shorter action doesn't throw the bolt so far back. Keeping the scope on target is easier with a short action not bashing your face.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,202  
I’ve had 10/22 variants for…40 years? Still have my first one. The all metal are better than any of them with plastic bits and bobs in my opinion.

Don’t have the 9mm…yet. But with the mag well adapters you’re not limited to 17. I think Glock is 33 factory and 100 round after market drum? Then throw a binary trigger in it? I go broke just thinking about what my ammo bill would be:eek:
My .22 is a Remington 572 pump. It will shoot shorts and CB caps as easily as LR. There is something to be said for versatility.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,203  

.30-06

Hard to go wrong with the oldies but goodies IMO.

The .308 an oldie?

I remember when the .308 was introduced. It's one of the new ones in my mind.

Bruce

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,205  
For bolt action, I prefer the .308 over the .30-06 because the shorter action doesn't throw the bolt so far back. Keeping the scope on target is easier with a short action not bashing your face.

I agree. I like any of the rounds that stem from the .308 parent cartridge, with my favorite being the .260Rem. But both the .243 and 7-08 are great too.

I have a 10/22 built off a Brownells railed receiver (great receivers for $80!) and has a Shilen sporter weight barrel. My daughter and I were consistently ringing a 4" target at 150 yards. The only qualm with the Shilen barrel is it requires match grade ammo, but when I can find the Federal Automatch ammo, I stock up. I haven't tried any other match ammo yet.

BTW: The Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II with 150BDC are fantastic scopes if you can still find one. Nikon discontinued all scopes, but you can still find some.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,206  
Does anyone has a Ruger Charger and if so, your thoughts?
I have a charger in .22lr. It‘s fitted with a 3X9 Leupold and a sling. I have the sling arranged so I can loop it behind my shoulder and push outward with the pistol grip giving me support. The sling is short and positions the scope about the same distance from my eye as it would be on a rifle stock. the charger is the perfect farm gun to carry in my rhino sxs. There’s not much room to swing a rifle in there. I’m really a fan of the 10/22’s and have several along with the charger. Too much of my money has been spent on gimmicks and tricks for them, but it’s great fun!

My hunting rifle is a Remington 700 chambered in .270 Winchester. My first competition rifle for shooting hi-power was a M1 garand In 30-06. Later a M1A in 7.62 (or .308). My long range match rifle was chambered in 6.5 cheeta, which was later standardized as the .260 Remington.

These discussions about caliber are interesting because they are so similar, but yet very different. All these calibers are based on the 30-06 case, either shortened and or necked down.

The odd thing is, a 30-06 has plenty of grunt for consistent 1000 yard performance as well as the .270. The .308 can do it, but it usuall drops subsonic about 800 to 900 yards and things can get squirrely sometimes. The .260 is a necked down .308 with a little less taper and a flatter shoulder. It is the best 1000 yd round I have used. You can load it with a 160 grain Sierra boat tail and it will really shine at 1000.

If you are using any of these as a hunting rifle, it really doesn’t matter which one you use, they are all just fine. A well place shot with any of them will probably kill any animal in the USA.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,207  
These discussions about caliber are interesting because they are so similar, but yet very different. All these calibers are based on the 30-06 case, either shortened and or necked down.
Before I fell in love with the .260rem, my favorite round was the .25-06

The shorter bolt throw and lighter action/barrel is what turned me to the .260rem

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,208  
The .260 Remington is my favorite as well. My shooting buddy and I were at a 1000 yd 2 man team match at Camp Butler near Raleigh NC. At the time he had a master classification and I had an expert. We were on the line next to a team that were on the US Palma team. One of them had won the 1000 yd match at Camp Perry the previous year and the other one was the captain of the Palma team. Both of them held high master classifications.

Butner is tricky because there are trees on both sides of the range. Sometimes the 200 yd flags would be at full value to the right, the 600 yd flags would be full value to the left an 900 yd flags full value to the right. The wind was twisty and tricky usually.

My team mate and I had an usually good day. The Palma shooters were using their Palma rifles chambered for .308 and we both were shooting a slight variation of the .260.

We won the match that day and what made the difference was the .260’s ability to be more forgiving in the wind. When targets came up, sometimes we we would catch a 10 at 9:00 for instance and they might have a 9 at 9:00 just outside the line. I bet we’re scored 10 or 15 points higher that day just because of a 1/2” to 3/4” difference in the effect the wind had.

Trust me, there were better shooters than we were, but the advantage the .260 had over the .308 is what really made the difference.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,209  
I’ve hunted moose a lot. Saw big guns fail to stop them if not hit right. Of course I’ve seen them drop sometimes fairly easily with the same calibres. I hear many nowadays though are carrying varmint rifles, mainly 22-259 and 223. I’ve heard of people taking them with the 250. But how does the 223 fair out under 100 yards only. Lung shots only.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,210  
The .260 Remington is my favorite as well. My shooting buddy and I were at a 1000 yd 2 man team match at Camp Butler near Raleigh NC. At the time he had a master classification and I had an expert. We were on the line next to a team that were on the US Palma team. One of them had won the 1000 yd match at Camp Perry the previous year and the other one was the captain of the Palma team. Both of them held high master classifications.

Butner is tricky because there are trees on both sides of the range. Sometimes the 200 yd flags would be at full value to the right, the 600 yd flags would be full value to the left an 900 yd flags full value to the right. The wind was twisty and tricky usually.

My team mate and I had an usually good day. The Palma shooters were using their Palma rifles chambered for .308 and we both were shooting a slight variation of the .260.

We won the match that day and what made the difference was the .260’s ability to be more forgiving in the wind. When targets came up, sometimes we we would catch a 10 at 9:00 for instance and they might have a 9 at 9:00 just outside the line. I bet we’re scored 10 or 15 points higher that day just because of a 1/2” to 3/4” difference in the effect the wind had.

Trust me, there were better shooters than we were, but the advantage the .260 had over the .308 is what really made the difference.
Qstott,
You sound like you have a lot of long range experience. Can you explain to me in layman's terms why rounds like the .260 and 6.5 are considered superior for long range shooting? Is it a diameter vs length vs weight ratio thing? If that's the case, then why can't those same advantages be made by modifying the bullet length/weight with many other rounds?

I've always liked "fast for caliber" bullets and therefore usually go with a lighter weight bullet in any given chambering. With the .25-06 I always hand loaded 100gr bullets; With the .300 WM, 168gr; .260 Rem 120gr etc. I also usually only hunt with mono-metal bullets such as Barnes TTSX or Hornady GMX, just because I've liked their wound channel performance with less blood shot meat. Plus the mono-metal makers usually suggest lighter bullet weights for better performance.

I'm interested in what makes certain loads better ballistically.