TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,471  
Old book...required reading in High School (1960's)
Doubt if many have heard of it...

It may come to where the knowledge spread by that fictional book may be needed again, unfortunately! Maybe not from bombing, but from political fallout!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,472  
Don't most red dots still have iron sites visible even if the dot is damaged. Im sure it still is in the way, and site view isn't as good. I personally have never shot a pistol with red dot, so I'm talking out of my butt based on pictures, videos, ect. I have considered getting one, because I'm a terrible pistol shoot, but haven't made the move yet.

Speaking of pistols, if you've never watched "Buffalo Outdoors" 'A man has to know his limits' its insane what he can do at 80-110 yards with pistols, and no special sites.

My eyesight is not great so a red dot helps a little bit but it will not be a night and day difference in accuracy. In most cases, there are two issues that cause poor pistol marksmanship...trigger control and flinching.

I have a red dot on a Ruger MK III I use for target shooting and I find it slower to acquire the target. I would never put one on a carry gun.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,473  
Don't most red dots still have iron sites visible even if the dot is damaged. Im sure it still is in the way, and site view isn't as good. I personally have never shot a pistol with red dot, so I'm talking out of my butt based on pictures, videos, ect. I have considered getting one, because I'm a terrible pistol shoot, but haven't made the move yet.

Speaking of pistols, if you've never watched "Buffalo Outdoors" 'A man has to know his limits' its insane what he can do at 80-110 yards with pistols, and no special sites.
So yes and no. Most guns will have high sights so you can see them, but some do not and if the owner doesn't change them out then no. Common here I've learned is the lens will fog up when going from inside with AC to outside with high humidity, this can take minutes to resolve itself and during that time you can't see your back up sights. The lens can also gather enough dirt/debris to make it unusable so they must be maintained. I can't imagine a lens breaking but supposedly you can still use the dot or sights through the lens because it's not magnified etc...at least according to them.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,474  
My eyesight is not great so a red dot helps a little bit but it will not be a night and day difference in accuracy. In most cases, there are two issues that cause poor pistol marksmanship...trigger control and flinching.

I have a red dot on a Ruger MK III I use for target shooting and I find it slower to acquire the target. I would never put one on a carry gun.
It takes training to find the dot without looking for your sights. Just like people that "fish" for their sight picture, the same is true for the RDS. It is a very distinct advantage when shooting for time, I can't think of a competition where a RDS doesn't change your category.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,475  

I had a red dot on my PMR, had a heck of a time finding the dot/target!! Didn't take long to go back to iron sights!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,476  
I have a red dot... I would never put one on a carry gun.
The big advantage of a red dot on a carry gun is if you get accosted in a dark (night) environment....then it's pretty much point and click.
I have a red dot on a Kahr CW9 and since I don't worry too much about shot placement (as long as it's center of mass), red dot serves me well...
I have a red dot on a Ruger SR9 too. This isn't a carry gun, it's my home protection piece in my night stand along side the bed.
But, to each his own...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,477  

Looked him up tonight, pretty cool. I do something similar but 100 and 60 yards with six shots on a 66% silhouette. You sure can’t gif what you’re doing wrong at ranges like that with a pistol.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,478  
Over the last couple weeks I haven't done much gun time but I've attempted to get a few gophers, got one today though... Yesterday I sighted in my hunting rifles (middle picture), if you look close I have a target set up in my dry pond so I have a backstop berm... two .30-06 rifles 4 shots each was enough to let me know my shoulder is there... With how it went I'll be dragging around my Savage instead of the 03-A3 like I normally do, savage was more consistent...

The first picture is the first time I've found a use for the back window gun racks, it's on the inside wall of my pole barn, it has my Airgun Venturi Avenger on top and my 20ga shotgun on the bottom, the go to pesting guns currently... The last picture is what I got from a recent auction, all firearms were going for stupid money, there was a 10/22 with the stock sawed off after the grip and electric tape around it that went for $170 I think with no magazines... Single shot Wards 12ga that went for over $100, etc... so I ended up with some random pellet guns, didn't get a super deal but not bad either...

20210828_095413.jpg

20210925_163518.jpg

20210925_211029.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,479  
I have one of those 1911-ish-looking things. It shoots BBs, pellets, or darts ... and the only thing you'll ever kill with it is time.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,480  
Yeah, the ol Marksman Repeater, where it's so powerful they put an aluminum barrel on it and it works partially by pushing on the back of the BB, I'm almost sure you can throw a BB harder than they shoot... :) That guy came with the Crosman 1377 pumper which is a better starting point...