TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,971  
Here is the second report on testing done a week after the first report:

Got some Ballistol lubed pellets downrange today. Weather has not been great but today was decent. 5 MPH quartering wind and some gusting.

All testing in this post is with the 14.3 gr Crosman Premier HP's I got from Amazon on sale for $6.24/tin of 500. Range was 50 yards.

A total of eight - five shot groups were fired (200 pellets). All "fliers" were recorded...which spoiled some very good groups but that is how I test...real world. Most of you know it is not easy to maintain concentration and read the wind for 200 shots...at least it is not easy for me. So I started the testing today with what I thought would perform the worst while I was still "fresh".

First up were pellets from the tin with no lube. Ten groups averaged .81" Not too shabby for "el cheapos".

Next, were pellets I had lubed 5 days ago, I used 3 drops of Ballistol in a baggy with 50 pellets. They came in at .65" for 10 groups. Nice consistent groups.

I decided to try a heavier amount of oil 6 drops for 50 pellets. The average for 10 groups was .87" and there were a few fliers. I wonder if "lube purge" is occurring???

The last was to add oil to bathroom tissue ( 2 - 2 ply squares) put it in the tin and swirl it around. That gave a coating between the light and heavy tested above. Those ten groups came it at .72".

Conclusions:
First, small amounts of Ballistol reduce group sizes with the CPHP pellet in my Daystate. I am very close to achieving the same accuracy with these bargain pellets as the high end pellets I have tested that cost $18/20/500

Second, Ballistol does not "diesel" at 230 bar operating pressures if used in reasonable quantities.

Third, it seems that too much of a good thing can send accuracy south.

Next steps:

It will be interesting to see if Ballistol improves accuracy of high quality pellets. I have enough Air Arms pellets to test that out.

I was going to try BLL but not sure at this point if it is worth the effort. Putting a bit of Ballistol in a tin of pellets is about as easy as it gets. I need to measure accurately as to much is not good.

I may try weight sorting pellets to see if I can reduce some of the fliers....but it may just be me...either not reading the wind well, or jerking the trigger if I sense the wind is changing.

Testing today was at 46*. Will Ballistol work in summer conditions when I do most of my plinking?

More testing needed. But heck...it is fun when holes are touching.
Ok, so what did you do to get banned Don??

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,972  
Did Don get banned or just take some time off? For some reason, I was thinking the latter...
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,973  
That was a fun report, Don. Interesting data as well.

Also curious what one has to do to get a time out around here. 😮

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,974  
I cannot comment on why I was banned without getting banned again.

Political comments do not get a warning but are escalated to a ban immediately. So be warned. I am not sure if this is applied equitably but I will be watching.

I have shared the details with Hunt4570 via PM so the truth is not buried.

Frankly, the tractor stuff gets boring after a while so I did not miss that part of the forum much. How many times do we need to talk about inverted blowers vs push blowers, front blades vs back blades...What size tractor do I need? Stand alone vs 3ph splitters. Gas, vs diesel vs whole house generators. Rent or buy a backhoe? Same old same old.

I have been shooting for over 60 years and started shooting competitively 53 years ago. It is a life long hobby that I will do until the Father calls me home (hope that doesn't get me another ban). I will try to help others with their journey and support the "gun culture" that makes this country special and keeps us free. (Hope that comment is allowed too)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,975  
End of an era?

Yesterday I stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse where something in the rifle rack caught my attention in a wall of black and gray. It was a lone rifle with a walnut stock. I counted 86 bolt-action rifles, 85 with synthetic stocks, 1 with walnut.

Nothing against synthetic stocks. I have some. But it looks like there is no longer much of a choice.

:(

Bruce
You speak the truth. My son has been casually looking for a wood stocked rifle, or more honestly, he's been doing the wanting and talking, I've been doing the looking. Anyways, there are SKUs from savage, mossberg, RemArms, Weatherby, ect in the affordable rifles, but nearly none in stock. I did get a chance to fondle a Winchester Model 70 Featherlite 3006 at bass pro, that was a wonderful rifle, but a bit out of his wage range.

I also like/want (he doesn't care either way) a threaded barrel for either a BFD (blast forwarding device) or a suppressor. It seems like company's either make a couple old school rifles, or tacticool, not a combo. Take a Henry 357. They have a really nice wood one, or an ugly polymer with light rail and threaded. If I pay Henry money, I want my dang Henry walnut, im paying for it, not Glock plastic.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,976  
I will add, I've come to a realization, a 22" barrel and 10" "accessory" on the end makes for a stupid long gun in a blind or stand. Its great on a bench, and its just OK walking with (till you need to go through a door, walking in the house). I always degraded those Ruger American Ranch rifles with 16" barrels, but now I think I've seen the light...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,977  
You speak the truth. My son has been casually looking for a wood stocked rifle, or more honestly, he's been doing the wanting and talking, I've been doing the looking. Anyways, there are SKUs from savage, mossberg, RemArms, Weatherby, ect in the affordable rifles, but nearly none in stock. I did get a chance to fondle a Winchester Model 70 Featherlite 3006 at bass pro, that was a wonderful rifle, but a bit out of his wage range.

I also like/want (he doesn't care either way) a threaded barrel for either a BFD (blast forwarding device) or a suppressor. It seems like company's either make a couple old school rifles, or tacticool, not a combo. Take a Henry 357. They have a really nice wood one, or an ugly polymer with light rail and threaded. If I pay Henry money, I want my dang Henry walnut, im paying for it, not Glock plastic.

I bought a T/C Compass a few years ago for $225 after rebate. It shoots very well and is as ugly as it is accurate.

I plan on buying a laminated wood stock for under $200 from Boyd's. And laminated stocks are far better than solid walnut.

Have a look at the Boyd's web site and see what is available...you might be surprised.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,978  
I bought a T/C Compass a few years ago for $225 after rebate. It shoots very well and is as ugly as it is accurate.

I plan on buying a laminated wood stock for under $200 from Boyd's. And laminated stocks are far better than solid walnut.

Have a look at the Boyd's web site and see what is available...you might be surprised.
Love my TC Compass, and I've considered getting a Boyds laminate for it. I think i paid $299 for mine, and its my best shooting rifle by far. Mine is in 223. I've heard excellent things about the Compass in 6.5 Creed as well. Ive seen some pretty disappointing reviews of it in 308, and 7mm Rem Mag. Don't know if its quality control issues, or if for some cartridges, they ream a sloppy chamber to fit the wide variety of factory ammo out there. No know that I've ever seen reviews for it in the standard length actions, 270 and 3006.

Son has an Axis I with an even cheaper looking/feeling stock, and the poor trigger that comes in the basic Axis.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,979  
Love my TC Compass, and I've considered getting a Boyds laminate for it. I think i paid $299 for mine, and its my best shooting rifle by far. Mine is in 223. I've heard excellent things about the Compass in 6.5 Creed as well. Ive seen some pretty disappointing reviews of it in 308, and 7mm Rem Mag. Don't know if its quality control issues, or if for some cartridges, they ream a sloppy chamber to fit the wide variety of factory ammo out there. No know that I've ever seen reviews for it in the standard length actions, 270 and 3006.

Son has an Axis I with an even cheaper looking/feeling stock, and the poor trigger that comes in the basic Axis.
Mine is in .308 and shoots better than my M70 Coyote. That silly Compass will hold 1 MOA 5 shot groups. Just astounding for the price and like you said...almost all of them shoot well. Mine is not special.

The M70 is a damn pretty rifle but I hunt with the Compass.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,980  

Hmmm, here's a Win 70 with a threaded barrel.. Boss attached. Custom laminated stock in 3006, with controlled round feed of course! Nobody will give me what I think its worth.

Attachments

• IMG_2159.JPG
    IMG_2159.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2192.JPG
    IMG_2192.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 64