TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,092  
I once upon a time read an article that said shed antlers were commonly found in the dryer western states, and the practice started there. If you found an antler with 4 points, it came from a 4 point buck.

In the east, they said, shed antlers didn't last long and were seldom found.

Bruce

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,094  
That's not a game animal on the West Coast. This is. In conversation, it would be a six pointer with a broken tine on the right, overall a nice rack on a young fellow.View attachment 721088
I live in MN, not on the left coast.....so it doesn't matter to me what is grown there. :) A whitetail buck here fills the freezer for the Mrs. and myself just fine when added to the dozen fryers (chicken) we do each spring....then we've got all the meat we need for the year. As it is, we always give some to our neighbor lady.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,095  
I'm planning to pick up my (new to me) Lefty Tikka T1X MTR in .17HMR tomorrow. I really don't have much need for one, but it came along at a good price as new and never fired from someone that's thinning their herd of rifles. The barrel is threaded, so I might get some use putting my thermal and suppressor on it and popping nuisance raccoons. Anyone use a .17HMR for coyotes? Might be a good choice if I want to preserve pelts, but I have some other rifles that are a good choice too.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,096  
I think 17 HMR would be fine for Yotes at, say 50 yards, but those little bullets loose energy fast as they go down range.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,097  
I'm planning to pick up my (new to me) Lefty Tikka T1X MTR in .17HMR tomorrow. I really don't have much need for one, but it came along at a good price as new and never fired from someone that's thinning their herd of rifles. The barrel is threaded, so I might get some use putting my thermal and suppressor on it and popping nuisance raccoons. Anyone use a .17HMR for coyotes? Might be a good choice if I want to preserve pelts, but I have some other rifles that are a good choice too.
I'm sure if you ask enough people on various forums, you'll find someone who tells you that they use the 17 HMR to snipe coyotes at 500 yards all the time, and it works great (that's the cool thing about the internet 😁 ). For raccoons, porcupines and skunks, I'd say 100-150 yards, sure go for it. But for coyotes, I'm thinking you'd have to lung shot them and hope they don't take off for the next county. I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

Now if I had my 17 HMR leaning against the shop door, and I was standing there when a coyote rounded the corner of the building at 25 or 50 yards, yeah I'd probably let one fly at him. But a 223 or bigger would probably give you more shot options for angles and distances.

I really like my 17 HMR, it's great against small pests like bean bears (prairie dogs) out to 200 yards. Skunks and other larger vermin I would hold off at anything farther than a 100 or so yards. And that would just be for targets of opportunity around the out buildings. For any deliberate hostile coyote action it would be 223 or 22-250. Unless it's really out there (500 +) then we're talking 243 or 6.5x284.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,098  
I'm sure if you ask enough people on various forums, you'll find someone who tells you that they use the 17 HMR to snipe coyotes at 500 yards all the time, and it works great (that's the cool thing about the internet 😁 ). For raccoons, porcupines and skunks, I'd say 100-150 yards, sure go for it. But for coyotes, I'm thinking you'd have to lung shot them and hope they don't take off for the next county. I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

Now if I had my 17 HMR leaning against the shop door, and I was standing there when a coyote rounded the corner of the building at 25 or 50 yards, yeah I'd probably let one fly at him. But a 223 or bigger would probably give you more shot options for angles and distances.

I really like my 17 HMR, it's great against small pests like bean bears (prairie dogs) out to 200 yards. Skunks and other larger vermin I would hold off at anything farther than a 100 or so yards. And that would just be for targets of opportunity around the out buildings. For any deliberate hostile coyote action it would be 223 or 22-250. Unless it's really out there (500 +) then we're talking 243 or 6.5x284.

I tend to agree. I see the .17HMR more as a flat shooting plinking toy. Like I said in my earlier post, I have a lot better options than a flat shooting underpowered . 17 cal

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,100  
Maybe I've already asked, this thread is pretty long, and my memory, not so much, but anyways
What factory, affordable, 22LRs have threaded barrels, preferably 1/2×28, not the weird 1/2×20 or 1/2×36.

I swear I thought the Winchester Wildcat was, but zooming in on pictures, doesn't look like it, and the description doesn't say it is.