TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,951  
I'd say your new neighbors in WV will most likely knock you into shape right away.
You can better fit in if you ask them about things instead of telling them they do things wrong, and this is how we do it where I'm from.

:)

Bruce

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,952  
I confine all my shooting to a range, I have 4 of them here, and the clays I use are the biodegradable ones, they are toxic?? And not enough to worry about the PH in the ground.
About 30% of the clays are bitumenous pitch, not the sort of thing you want spread around your property. I think I have heard of nontoxic clays, but have never seen them for sale locally. My gun club has a great trap setup, but we don't have a skeet range. Maybe someday. It's an all volunteer club, and each discipline manages its own range.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,953  
Skeet is short range and uses skeet/IC chokes. Sporting clays is the same. Trap is a longer range target, and most people shoot modified. I confine my clay shooting to a range, since the targets are toxic. My club also mines the trap range for a few tons of lead every few years, and manages the pH of the soil to keep the lead fixed in place.
I have shot on some sporting clay courses where the bird was as far or farther away than any trap targets!

Many years ago, the first few times me and my buddy's shot sporting clays, we were changing chokes out depending on the station. After a while we determined that just put in modified chokes in both barrels and concentrate on lead and we could break them just fine using 7.5 or 8 shot.

Now when I shoot Skeet or trap I use a skeet choke and that works just fine.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,955  
About 30% of the clays are bitumenous pitch, not the sort of thing you want spread around your property. I think I have heard of nontoxic clays, but have never seen them for sale locally. My gun club has a great trap setup, but we don't have a skeet range. Maybe someday. It's an all volunteer club, and each discipline manages its own range.

Again, these are just my ideas of a range, pistol and out to 300 yards, and no real trap or skeet range, nor do I know the difference, I have an old manual cock and throw machine that will throw them out to 30-50 yards , and the new auto one that hooks to a battery that says it'll throw them out to 75 yards. Got it set up but have not tried it out yet, cold and very windy yesterday.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,957  
And the neighborhood.
I’ll take anyone shooting the first time. I can’t even count how many I’ve taken out their first time. I can think of a few I wouldn’t take again. Sometimes you just don’t “click” sometimes it’s more serious. I think especially in the shooting sports you shouldn’t force anything if you have that funny feeling.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,958  
A guy brought his Son over to try out his S&W .22 LR AR that underwhelmed and Ruger econo-basic AR that impressed. He brought another basement dweller along for an intro to shooting. The friend was handed a 9mm to try out at ~15yd.

"Bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbang-click", and a few rounds hit the berm. He then pointed the gun toward me.

"Got any more ammo?"

"I just ran out."

They haven't been here since then & I'm not lonesome.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,959  
So in today’s edition of you wouldn’t believe me if I told you.

2.2 did some rimfire ammo testing at 25m with his Christmas present and coincidentally as we finished a fly started crawling up the edge of the paper. Since there was a pretty clear ammo winner a round was loaded and nicked the paper but appeared to have been a solid hit on that fly. Guess it’s not a gnats ass, but close enough :cool:
View attachment 726771

Just like Granny Clampett

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #9,960  
Again, these are just my ideas of a range, pistol and out to 300 yards, and no real trap or skeet range, nor do I know the difference, I have an old manual cock and throw machine that will throw them out to 30-50 yards , and the new auto one that hooks to a battery that says it'll throw them out to 75 yards. Got it set up but have not tried it out yet, cold and very windy yesterday.
Skeet is thrown from a high house and a low house and shot from 8 positions. It's a challenging game.

Trap shooting is more simple. The basic shooting position is 16 yards behind the trap house, with five additional handicap positions at 2 yard intervals, to a max of 26 yards. More if shooters are showing off their full chokes. ;) For recreational shooting, our throwers are set to wobble, so you don't know the height or direction of the clay in advance.

Five stand is a popular game at my club. As we set it up, it's similar to sporting clays, but no running targets or direct approach targets, for safety reasons.

(5-stand)