TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,131  
Spike, I agree with you. But I am a shooter and not a collector of military weapons. There is an attraction to them and thus their "value".

Guns for me serve four purposes:
Competitive shooting
Killing varmints and game
Killing people...should it ever come to that
Fun...and for me that means cheap to shoot as I shoot a lot.

The Garand is not the best choice for any of them. Others think differently...and so the world turns.
I don’t know, pretty sure a 30-06 will make a people pretty d.e.d. dead.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,132  
I have a really cherry Russian SKS bought about 20 years ago for $125. Had the bayonet, cleaning kit, sling.... Now these are $450 and up ! Too bad I had sold it years ago. 😪
Man, I missed that boat. I remember seeing them flood into the US, and seeing literally barrels stuffed full of them at gun shows for $99 each. Sure wish I'd bought one back then. Can't make myself pay $450 now.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,133  
Man, I missed that boat. I remember seeing them flood into the US, and seeing literally barrels stuffed full of them at gun shows for $99 each. Sure wish I'd bought one back then. Can't make myself pay $450 now.
Barrel of them and a pallet of spam cans used to be a staple at the few gunstores I frequented as a kid. I can't even recall how much the ammo went for but I remember at the time "communist" guns and ammo were "below" me. So much regret over past decisions:cry:

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,134  
I bought one in the late '80's or early '90's. Paid about $90 for it.
But I was more of an AK guy, so I sold it...still got the AK's though.
Don't think I'd pay $450 either...not for an SKS

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,135  
When I was walking through a surplus kind of store (about 15 years ago), I saw the table that usually had YUGO SKS's stacked up on. There was only one left and the (sneaky) sales guy told me they probably weren't getting any more. I bought the nasty, corroded barrel, worn out thing ($195). I was in there about a month or so later, and table was stacked up again with REAL nice looking ones this time. I still have it, with a new black stock, spring type firing pin, cut down barrel and some other mods, but the barrel NEVER has cleaned up and it doesn't shoot straight out past 50 yards. It looks cool and is still fun to shoot. I saw where Sportsmans Guide had new unissued SKS barrels a few years ago, so I bought one. I need to find a qualified gunsmith to see if it can be installed. It looks to be a pretty complicated process.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,136  
I don’t know, pretty sure a 30-06 will make a people pretty d.e.d. dead.
You are correct...but there are 100’s of calibers and thousands of guns that meet that criteria

IMO there are much better options than a Garand.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,137  
I get the history side; but M1 I've just never liked compared to other guns. I dont like the clips; the stock is oddly wide; and they are heavy and front heavy compared to a similar bolt action. They Can be accurate, but often you want me do a Lot of work to get them that way. Another deal killer, is your only suppost to run weaker ammo; not normal power 30-06; but I don't know if this is more CYA and internet lore.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,138  
I bought one of the Bulgarian milled receivers AK47's the day after Sandy Hook for $600, next day they were marked at $900, next day $1200 then sold out the next. It just sits in the back of my safe and I think I've only shot it 1x. Interesting and innovative design though. I've heard a lot of folks use them for hogs, but I prefer either a lever or a bolt gun.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,139  
I have a really cherry Russian SKS bought about 20 years ago for $125. Had the bayonet, cleaning kit, sling.... Now these are $450 and up ! Too bad I had sold it years ago. 😪
I can remember 20 years ago thinking who in the heck would buy a VEPR imported by Robinson Arms for close to $600.

I bought one around 2005. Thing was built like a tank, but it was way to heavy IMO so I sold it.

Maybe 10 years ago here in NC a gun dealer was selling Saiga's for $550.

Those days are long gone.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,140  
I really wish I had gotten one of those Vepr's with the wood stock, thumb hole, in 6.5G when they where, what, $450. Now they are $1200.

All of this BS is hurting my guns and ammo prices. I'd happily trade most of western Europe for better Russian imports.